Code of Conduct

Default The Third Man and Knize 10

First, it seems that parfum1 has won the shipping race. I placed three orders the same day from Perfumebay, Parfum1 and Scentiments. Parfum1 reached me in two days even with standard shipping, going to have to wait the full week it seems for the other orders. A brief review of the scents I've received so far:

The Third Man by Caron: At first, I really disliked the smell because it reminded me of Rive Gauche which I despise. They both share the 'barbasol' note as I call it, albiet in a weaker form in The Third Man. I checked the directory and the two scents have similar top and middles notes, thats probably why I was put off at first. However the dry down of the Third Man is superb, and made me feel quietly confident and refined throughout the day. I truly appreciated the scent about three hours after I sprayed it on. It doesn't project quite as well as I would have liked,but I think that's part of this scents appeal. It's perfect for office wear. I've received positive feedback from my girlfriend and coworkers on this one.

Knize 10: Now this one was love from first smell from me, and hatred on the part of the GF. The initial smell can be very offputting, smelling sharp, sour and somewhat synthetic. Fortunately for me that smell goes away in about ten minutes, and a the dry down changes the scents direction completely. Now, bear with me because my experience with 'leather' scents is limited, but here is my comparison: Cuir de Russie has a sharp, pure, leather smell to it that does indeed conjure images of horeback riding and Cossacks. Knize 10 has more of a 'gritty' urban leather smell to it, like something a film noir antagonist with a five o'clock shadow and a revolver in his pocket would wear. The musk and vanilla play a part to temper the scent so it never gets *too* raw, but the leather and smoke are truly in the forefront. An ultra masculine scent, spray it on and walk with a swagger [smiley=cool.gif]

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Third Man and Knize 10

Yes, i had the exact same experience with Le 3e homme, and noted in my review that it took a few hours to develop, and then was superb.
    It's what I wear when I need to be discreet with my scent...
    Cordially,

Serge

3rd Man put me off. I did not like it.

Knize Ten was love at first whiff for me as well. Just have a decant for now, but a full bottle of this masculine masterpiece is in the horizon.

Funny, recently when i went to bed wearing this, my wife remarked "Did you toast some bread? You smell like toast!"
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I just got some 3rd Man. This has vaulted into my top 3. I agree it starts out a bit bland but really powers into the excellent drydown. Fantastic.

Knize Ten on the other hand, smells like a wet cigar left in a worn sweatsock. Ugh.

I remember Knize 10, receiving a sample on my purchase of Declaration at a fragrance boutique in Dusseldorf. I appreciated the deep woody and leathery smell, but what really smelled strange to me was a slight scent of something powdery somewhere between the top and middle notes, but the woody base notes were a delight.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Post Thanks / Like

Funny. I didn't like Knize Ten when I first tested it. Too much like Bandit when dried down. But now, several weeks later and knowing James Dean wore it, I quite like it. Found a 125ml Tester bottle on german ebay, but the price was going over 50 Euro. After the auction had ended, the seller listed a NIB 50ml bottle for 22 Euro buy it now. Had to go for it! Hope it will arrive soon.

The same seller offered as well 10 original spray samples from Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan.
    For 5 Euro (12ml) another must have IMO. You definitely won't need much of this (intense sex) monster ....
    Probably I prefer spraying AS before bedtime .... [smiley=laugh.gif]
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Kenize 10 is quite good. The sweent note (reminds me of scented rubber erasers) makes it smell different from the stark Bandit.

3rd Man is a complete scent for a complete man.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    Ambre Sultan.
    For 5 Euro (12ml) another must have IMO. You definitely won't need much of this (intense sex) monster ....
    Probably I prefer spraying AS before bedtime .... *[smiley=laugh.gif]

Fitting you should mention that, I'm trying to track down a bottle of it as we speak for a reasonable price....

Love 3rd man. Add Valentino Vendetta for a more intense smoky scent if you want a harsher 3rd man experience.

MJH

I was lucky enough to acquire Knize Ten when I was in the middle of a leather kick, so I've appreciated it
    from the get-go, but it's always been a bit of a second-ran in my eyes, since it came not longer after Tabac Blond.
    Now I think of it almost an EdT equivalent of Tabac Blond (I'll get the real thing some day).

It took me forever to 'get' The Third Man. I bought it when I decided I had to own all things Caron, and i didn't care for it the first time I wore it, or the second time, or the third time......I almost gave up on it.
    Actually, it was Milamber's review of it (can't find it right now) that prompted me to reconsider it, and it's
    been love ever since.

I've never tried the 3rd man but from your description it sound not too interesting to me.
    Knize Ten was love at first sniff to me too! I understood from the first while how much are in debt scents as etro gomma or bulgari black with the heritage of this juice... It smells like a strange rubber with a classy magnetic attire. I thinkit's unique and it's in my wishlist for this autumn.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Love 3rd man. Add Valentino Vendetta for a more intense smoky scent if you want a harsher 3rd man experience.
    I own a bottle of Valentino Vendetta Aftershave. Not as strong (harsh) as the EdT, but the notes are quite different to 3rd man IMO, but that's what you said anyway.
    dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by dr.creed
    [quote author=milamber link=1122161921/0#9 date=1122218339]Love 3rd man. Add Valentino Vendetta for a more intense smoky scent if you want a harsher 3rd man experience.
    I own a bottle of Valentino Vendetta Aftershave. Not as strong (harsh) as the EdT, but the notes are quite different to 3rd man IMO, but that's what you said anyway.[/quote]
    Yup, cuts through all the gourmand notes straight to the smoky dryness of burnt woods. I'm surprised that there are people who find such accords "wearable" and even more amazed that there are gals who fall for it and find it dark, mysterious and sexy. It takes all kinds i suppose... Anyways, i find myself drawn to it on occasions especially when the Hyde in me takes over!