Thread: My Top 5 (and Bottom 5)
Well, this is my 600th post here on Basenotes, almost one year and one month after I first became a member.
So, I'd like to present to you my Top 5 Fragrances.
1) AngelMEN/A*Men by Thierry Mugler: Given that I was constantly exposed to (and loved) the women's Angel by the way of one of my friends for twelve consecutive years, I wasn't surprised that I loved AngelMEN. It is the absolute perfect fall/winter scent: cotton candy on the top and hot fudge sundaes on the bottom. It's like an instant trip to Cedar Point, my favorite amusement park. As long as it's being produced, I will keep a bottle of it in my permanent collection.
2) Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler: This scent had to be in my Top 5, since it was the scent that got me interested in fragrances again. If AngelMEN is the perfect fall/winter scent, Mugler Cologne is the perfect spring/summer scent. It reminds me of a green summer day with just the right temperatures. I do have to admit that the deo, body lotion, and shower gel are top notch too. But, then again, what else do you expect with Clarins Labs at your side?
3) Silver Mountain Water by Creed: I could not forget to put a fragrance from the House of Creed in my Top 5. MI and GIT are great, but my vote goes to the subtle freshness of SMW. It's a fragrance of paradoxes: subtle yet powerful, classic yet modern. I can see why it's the favorite of Oliver Creed himself...
4) Musc Ravageur by Editions de Parfums Frederic Malle: Even though I only own a sample of this stuff, I still love the spicy, warm compexity of Musc Ravageur. (Note to self: I must buy a full bottle when I have the money!)
5) M7 by Yves Saint Laurent: Deep, dark, and mysterious, M7 is probably THE woodiest fragrance in my collection, but in a good way.
And now, for the Bottom 5:
1) Hanae Mori HM by Hanae Mori: I know that a lot of Basenoters love this stuff, but I personally cannot stand the stuff (at least the EdT-I haven't tried the EdP). On my skin, it's a cloying white floral mess...even worse than the worst feminines. I can't even smell the much-loved chocolate note, but fortunately, I got this as a sample. I think I'll stick with AngelMEN for my chocolate fix.
2) Pi by Givenchy: Even the worst math teacher in the world couldn't pull this sickly sweet and powdery concoction off.
3) Curve by Liz Claiborne: They call this the "poor man's Green Irish Tweed" for a reason: it has none of the style or substance of GIT.
4) Acqua di Gio by Giorgio Armani:
1) It's everywhere.
2) It turns into a sour mess on my skin.
3) And Bvlgari Aqva is much better.
5) Chaps by Ralph Lauren: Words can't describe how bad I think this potion is. If you want cheap and good, buy yourself a can of Axe instead.
Here's to the next 600 posts! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Top 5 for Winter:
1) Musk Oud - By Kilian
2) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
3) Back to Black - By Kilian
4) Encre Noire - Lalique
5) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."