Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Miller Harris Terre d'Iris

Being a huge fan of Iris, especially the warmer, more buttery notes, I recently swapped for an exclusive MH scent - Terre d'Iris, described to me by the swapper as "Terre de Bois meets Hiris." I was surprised by how much I love the scent and in an effort to learn more about it, wrote to the Notting Hill shop. Here is the email they sent me:

It was launched about two years ago, and is only sold in Miller Harris stores, so is very exclusive. I have attached below the press release information on the notes in the fragrance. We always describe it here,
    like a very chic, classic French fragrance!

Terre d'Iris is a perfumed tour of the Mediterranean. Calabrian bergamot and Sicilian bitter orange lead to delicious southern herbs : rosemary from Dalmatia and clary sage are followed by orange flowers and roses from Tunis and Turkey. A steady base of patchouli, tree moss and French fir balsam supports the signature Florentine orris, the fleur de-luce that appears on the coat of arms of the city of the flowers.

Miller Harris
    14 Needham Road
    London
    W11 2RP
    +44 (0)20 7221 1545
    www.millerharris.com

What I get is a rich, deep, buttery iris note, something akin to tonka, which can be found throughout the composition with passing moments of herbs, flowers and spice. If I didn't know it was MH I would have thought this to be an Ormonde Jayne scent. It is like nothing else I've smelled and I can't stop sniffing the bottle, now in the place of honor on the bedside table.

Default Re: Miller Harris Terre d'Iris

Very tempting, especially the Ormonde Jayne and Hiris references! How much patchouli?? Would a patchouli-hater like it?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't detect the patchouli at all! And I'm a patchouli-lover!

Hi Marlen,

Wow dude...very cool that you own something so SPECIAL! I am soon to be the owner of a one ounce decant of MILLER HARRIS "FLOWERES OF TABAC". Oooh...I can't wait!

Regards,
    SixCats!

Post Thanks / Like

Fuilles de Tabac? That stuff is incredible - it reminded me quite a bit of M7, but less vetiver and more refined, I just sent my decant onto Moonfish as I thought it might be something he would dig! Good for you, I think you'll like that one! How's the Creed Cuir Russie treating you? Sorry to hear about the Floris Santal, but I felt quite the same way!

marls

I wrote to the US distributor for Miller Harris, and they emailed back that Terre d'Iris would be available from Saks sometime in August! I'll be on the lookout!

Post Thanks / Like

Marls, thanks to you I got to try this out and its is really Beautiful. Your desription is SPOT ON!! Thanks for the wonderful review.
    The iris is soft & indeed smooth and buttery with a hint of warm spice. The patchouli is hardly there....more of a mood than a strong presence & I am not a huge patchouli fan. So don't worry baout the patchouli note. This wears close to the skin on me and I am enamored with it!!! Now I HAVE to try the MH Cuir D'Oranger........leather & orange is always a good combo in my book!

Post Thanks / Like

I've gotta expand on my review and state that after three weeks of proud ownership I love this scent every bit as much as when I first tried it, if not more. Moreover, despite the nasty heat and humidity of summer in Osaka, I can't stop wearing this. I usually reserve summertime for my citrus and marine scents, but...a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

The opening - I smell the warm iris notes more and more now, the root, with its vanillic earthy quality, resting on a sweet, almost peachy orange and bergamot. I really like this bright citrus in the top, adding a dimension of freshness to the opening. From there, my nose is immediately drawn downwards into the basenotes, the richer tones of balsam and moss with merely a hint of green patchouli.

As the citrus softens, the orange blossom becomes more evident. I am a huge orange blossom fan, so perhaps this is one of the reasons why this scent is so appealing to me. I detect the faintest breath of sweet rose, not a rich red rose, but something softer, more delicate like a damask rose. But don't get me wrong, this is no delicate fragrance.

About 30 minutes into the scent, something more herbal and green appears, and the citrus has nearly faded. Sage and rosemary make their debut as the iris in the base opens once again, but slightly more floral, supported by the orange blossom and rose. Here the scent turns a little bit sweet, almost candy-like.

After about an hour, the basenotes once again appear, and I can pick out the warmth of the patchouli and the bitter oakmoss. Again, the buttery aspect of the iris appears, and the sweetness of the middle notes dissipates.

The scent lasts a good 8 hours on my skin, and I'm surprised this is an EDT and not an EDP - perhaps the concentration is truly closer to EDP...

A masterpiece.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I wore this today for the 1st time - I'd love to hear some comments from you guys/gals who've smelled this - since this thread I'm bumping is seriously old.

I am not sure about it myself. I think the non-iris florals I smell kind of kept me a little distracted from enjoying TdI. I love iris and I am just starting to appreciate how different it can be from one fragrance to another. The very root prominent iris note kept peeking its head out of the florals here and there - when I'd get a whiff of it, it made me smile. But besides that, the overall structure felt a little too busy for me to appreciate.

This usually means one of two things: I need to try it again, and this time give it more of my concentration. Or, I don't like it.

Post Thanks / Like

I own it, and must say that even though I have worn it a lot, there are times that I am not sure what to think of it either. In general, though, I do like it very much, and sometimes am surprised at its simultaneous simplicity and complexity. I smelled the same iris accord in Cuir d'Oranger, and I think it actually works better in that fragrance. At any rate, I think it works better in warmer weather as it has a watery quality about it which strikes me as cool and refreshing. I own several iris scents, and each has its own distinctive character--Td'I especially so.

Generally from what I gather, it tends to be a love it or hate it fragrance.

I own this too and it`s the only one MH that I adore!
    Every time I wear this scent it feels like a new perfume with new twists and surprises.
    Iris bright, Iris smiling, Iris in good mood!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

OK, so the 'cool and refreshing iris' and 'bright iris' comments make sense.

There is a fine line, though, between that brightness and powderiness. Of course my love of Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens (which I think is very cold and non-powdery) is perhaps clouding my perception of all iris scents.

I'm going to wait and re-sample it when the summer hot weather is here, and see how it behaves then.

I tested TdI between an iris quest and a MH appreciation testing. In the former I discovered Iris Silver Mist, Iris Gris Bleu and L' Homme de Coeur, in order of appreciation. From the MH scents that I tried I was captivated by L' Air de Rien, a trully UNIQUE fragrance, and Fleurs de Sel, an airy and very original composition. Between all these scents TdI got lost. A weak iris note smothered under what i like to call "millerharris-ade" (a la guerlinade), a mixture of pleasant notes, that characterises most of MH scents, but tends to become too familiar if you test several MH scents one after the other. I probably need to go back and retest to see if my opinion changes. Based on my previous testing I would rate it as a 3/10 as an iris scent and as a 5/10 as a MH.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have any of you tried Iris Taizo by Parfumerie Generale? How does TdI compare to IT?
    Last edited by kumquat; 26th March 2009 at 04:58 PM.

I was wondering about that too. My sample suppliers do not carry it though.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    ...Between all these scents TdI got lost. A weak iris note smothered under what i like to call "millerharris-ade" (a la guerlinade), a mixture of pleasant notes, that characterises most of MH scents, but tends to become too familiar if you test several MH scents one after the other. I probably need to go back and retest to see if my opinion changes. Based on my previous testing I would rate it as a 3/10 as an iris scent and as a 5/10 as a MH.
    Interesting cpk - thanks.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Wore it again yesterday.

Wow, it really captivated me this time. What a fun and sweet/fruity iris this is. It manages to encompass this drop cloth of iris all in the background, but then against this is splashed citrus, orange blossom and something akin to grape Lifesavers. Reminded me of the effect Oyedo by Diptyque makes (that one with orange Lifesavers) but of course, with iris.

Longevity is very short, I had to spray three times throughout the morning to get it to last - and it still disappeared by evening. But, oh, what a fun and interesting scent this is. I think it would make a fantastic shower gel also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Have any of you tried Iris Taizo by Parfumerie Generale? How does TdI compare to IT?
    I need to dig out my sample of Terre d'Iris, but I tried Iris Taizo just now --- wow, it’s really good. Kind of a leathery iris -- reminded me a bit of PdE Equistrius, but more buttery, more suede-like iris. IT dries down to noticeable amber/vanilla -- I doubt that is the case with TdI (?)
    Last edited by kess; 7th August 2009 at 10:17 PM.
    For sale: Armani Prive (Cuir, Jade), Yves Rocher, Artisan Ambre body cream http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=228894

This shares a fair number of notes with Amouage Reflection - can anyone compare/contrast the two? From the sounds of it, Reflection is perhaps sweeter and more powdery while the Miller Harris is more herbal.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    This shares a fair number of notes with Amouage Reflection - can anyone compare/contrast the two? From the sounds of it, Reflection is perhaps sweeter and more powdery while the Miller Harris is more herbal.
    If I remember, I will try to compare both of them, from samples sometime soon. I just got a sample of Reflection (I'm assuming you're talking about the men's right?), and I haven't worn it yet.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 22nd September 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I was referring to the men's Reflection as it has a rather powdery/fluffy iris note.

Where can one get Terre d'Iris, anyhow? I was going to get a sample of it from Luckyscent or Aedes but no go.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more