Code of Conduct

Default Must Have Summer Scents: Eau de Rochas

Created in 1970, Eau de Rochas is a surprising blend of citrus, woods and amber. Jan Moran writes,"Eau de Rochas is a refreshing eau de Cologne from the House of Rochas. An earthy natural fragrance, the cool chypre scent begins with citrus notes, often called hesperides, tangy and uplifting. A floral heart adds depth, while woods, oakmoss and amber combine to create a lingering aura of deep green forest. The bottle is shaped like rock crystal and nestled in a box clothed with the cool colors of a fast-running stream--images reflective of the shimmering fragrance."

Top Notes: Sicilian lime, Calabrian mandarin, bergamot, tangerine, grapefruit
    Heart Notes: Wild rose, mountain narcissus
    Base Notes: Mysore sandalwood, Croatian oakmoss, amber

This is a bright, magnificent citrus, but differs from most Eaux in the drydown of oakmoss and amber combined with earthy sandalwood, giving this an almost incense-like drydown.

Eau de Rochas opens with sweet and watery notes of bright and zingy (and very cooling for hot summer weather) mandarin and grapefruit, with a standout note of lime on my skin, but only for a moment before the slightly floral middle notes open and give way to a slightly powdery, slightly bitter middle - but absolutely in a good way. The rose and narcissus are not pronounced as flroal notes, but offer a soft mellow segue to the surprising warmer powdery notes of the amber, woods and oakmoss. A note about these basenotes: The top notes never completely disappear, and so this scent never really becomes a true amber scent. The amber is there in the base as an anchor, holding this scent together with a warm almost powdery drydown.

The scent has inappropriately garnered the misnomer of Eau de Rochas pour Femme, though when it was launched, it was simply Eau de Rochas. The launch of Eau de Rochas pour Homme (to be reviewed later this week) perhaps explain the change in driection of this original masterpeice. Don't deprive yourself from owning an enchanting masterpeice of 70's perfumery just because of the name or concept. If you are looking for bright fresh, not too sweet citrus with a twist for the summer heat, give Eau de Rochas a try!

http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/p/eau-de-rochas $26.99 for a 3.4 oz edt spray!

marlen
    Last edited by DustB; 21st March 2008 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Made all caps into title case.

Default Re: MUST HAVE SUMMER SCENTS: Eau de Rochas

'Perfume makes silence talk' - it sure makes Marlen talk, too! Thank you for this refreshing review.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Marlen, I havenlt sampled the 1970 EDC, the male verson seems to have come out in 1993. is also a beautiful citrus. Gives me an old-world feel as if I'm taking a bath in a bathroom with an old stand-alone bathtub, black and white marble tiles, ragtime /swing/jazz playing on the radio.
    How different is the Pour femme from the Pour Homme, just a Y chromosome ?

Gotham

In total agreement!
    An absolutely marvelous citrus and more masculine than most of it peers.
    I swear I pick up a hint of vetiver in there though... (?)

MMM

Thank you for this Excelent review!!

However I only found TESTERS of this fragrance...Anyone know where to find it cheap?

I have been using Dior Eau Sauvage but would like start using Eau de Rochas Pour Homme,
    however would like to know if this fragrance is similar or better than Eau Sauvage and if is made
    by the original Rochas House in France.

Does anyone have have noted that this one comes with the same square bottle and silver cap,
    that now some new Rochas Fragrances are having (like Monsieur Rochas Pink, Moustache etc)?

Regards
    Last edited by Ulises Rodriguez; 20th March 2008 at 10:26 PM.

It's funny that you mention this one, as I'm desperate to try it. Every time I see it at a store, there's never a tester around. I ended up ordering a mini on line, just to try it. It sounds very promising! Can't wait till it arrives!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st March 2008 at 04:04 AM.

I prefer Eau de Rochas Homme which I've stashed three 100 ml bottles of.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st March 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Default Re: Must Have Summer Scents: Eau de Rochas

I was wearing PH of this yesterday and enjoyed it immensely. Wonderful scent. I wish it lasted longer. Don't remember women's version though I know I did try it. Will need to test it again after this thread.

I like it a lot, but it doesn't last? Only a few hours on me.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Yup, fleeting on me as well...too bad.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by Ulises Rodriguez View Post
    Thank you for this Excelent review!!

However I only found TESTERS of this fragrance...Anyone know where to find it cheap?

I have been using Dior Eau Sauvage but would like start using Eau de Rochas Pour Homme,
    however would like to know if this fragrance is similar or better than Eau Sauvage and if is made
    by the original Rochas House in France....Regards
    Congrats for finding this thread started in 2005 by Scenteur7, once moderator and a top reviewer on Basenotes, just as MonkeyManMat who also comments here. Scenteur7 has his own board now: PerfumeCritic . Too bad we don't have access to reviews at the moment, but the search for Rochas (titles only) will produce more on EDR. I Like EDR-H just as much as I like Eau Sauvage, and it does have some longevity (5h on me, 8h & more on my shirt) ! I wish I could say the same about ES. I think it has always been produced in France, even when P&G owned the brand. I got my last bottle from a discount seller (Europe) and paid the equivalent of $30 for it.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

At the end of this thread I'm wondering:

which one shoud I get of EDR, the woman or the man version?

Thank you

Thanks narcus and all for your fast reply!!

But I am a little confused, really has longevity...half a day or more?

What I really would like to know is the differences or similarity between Eau-Sauvage and Eae-De-Rochas....Does anyone have compared both?

Regards

EDR wears closer to the skin than ES and is more of a "sweet" citrus (to me) than ES which I found a little "harsh or dirty". EDR imo is an outstanding scent...I've always wondered why it doesn't get more discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulises Rodriguez View Post
    Thanks narcus and all for your fast reply!!

But I am a little confused, really has longevity...half a day or more?

What I really would like to know is the differences or similarity between Eau-Sauvage and Eae-De-Rochas....Does anyone have compared both?

Regards
    Eau Sauvage lasts about 2 hours on my skin (though some claim it lasts all day on theirs). Eau de Rochas Homme lasts about 5 hours on my skin, which is some two or three hours less than most EDTs do, but still acceptable.

I've bought six or seven bottles of Eau de Rochas original over the years, always as presents for females. It is too feminine for my taste.
    Renato

Renato, do you mean that Eau de Rochas is then an outstanding scent but It is too feminine?

Mikey, you have mentioned that Eau-Sauvage is "harsh or dirty" and that Eau de Rochas is more "sweet citrus"...I like from Eau-Sauvage the Citrus-Hash because Don´t liked Too Sweet Fragrances like Ted-Lapidus Pour Lui (wich I always found extremely sweet)...Do you think that Eau-De-Rochas is Too Sweet or extremely sweet??

Does Eau de Rochas have any similarity with Rochas LUI (a Excelent Wooddy-Orange-Citrus Fragrance), or Cerruti 1881 (Normal or Amber) wich I always found extremely femenine for my taste?
    Last edited by Ulises Rodriguez; 21st March 2008 at 04:06 PM.

Eau de Rochas Homme has very clearly defined the top (lemon, basil, grapefruit, mandarin), middle (coriander, narcissus, rose) and base (amber, oakmoss), so it could be extremely useful for the begginers in the magical world of scents to learn something. It is very unlinear scent. Besides YSL pour Homme, EdR Homme is one of the most masculine citrus scents I know. A pretty problematic longevity is the biggest shortage of this frag. On my (middle oily) skin it lasts 4-5 hours. However, Eau Sauvage has even shorter life on my skin. ES is fresher and more classic scent than EdR Homme, I believe.
    Eau de Rochas Homme and Rochas Lui have just one common characteristic: both, EdR and Rochas Lui, are very good scents, nothing else, in my opinion. 1881 is much closer to EdR Homme.
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 21st March 2008 at 04:11 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Thanks peevish_yolk for answer!

Already had read in the forum about the problematic longevity of EdR, but you have mentioned that
    Eau-de Rochas Homme is one of the most masculine citrus scents!...So why others say It is too feminine?

To: Ulises Rodriguez.

Everybody has his own picture about every scent. It is a subjective thing. I guess the other people see EdR Homme as a feminine scent because of wild rose and narcissus. Well, I don't. I really can't imagine this frag on my girlfriend, or my sister, or any of my female colleagues.
    To be completely honest I have to say this also: If someone ask me to name 10 the most masculine scents ever I would not mentione any citrus scent.
    Btw, I splashed 4 hours ago some EdR on my arm just because of this thread... and I can still feel it... so maybe I'll change my opinion about its longevity also;-)
    Last edited by peevish_yolk; 21st March 2008 at 05:24 PM.
    “As if everyone, all over the world, had his daily visually artistic task; the task of being an image for others.” Peter Handke

Thanks again peevish_yolk for your info about longevity of Eau de Rochas...Since I own some Cerruti fragrances (1881 normal and Amber, Cerruti Man and also my wife owns Cerruti Woman), I was a little worried about the Femenine and sweetness...But you are right It is a subjective thing...
    --------------------------------------

I found a 2003 thread about the diferences between the Original-Eau-De-Rochas and the Homme-Eau-De -Rochas:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=174882

ISmellGood say that: ¨The 'Homme' on the other hand, which is now in my top-5 is a little subdued. Has some qualities from the original but is mellower, the lime not as sharp and tangy as the original EdR. They are both great scents, you won't go wrong with either. If you want subtle go with the Homme, if you want zing go with the original.¨

So apparently there are two Eau de Rochas (with BLUE Box/Bottle) and a new one called REFLETS D'EAU ROCHAS by Rochas For men (with GREEN Box/Bottle)...But I have noted that these 3 fragrances seems to be the same one with different packaging ...Does Anyone in the forum have tested or knows something about then?

Thanks again for all your help!!
    Last edited by Ulises Rodriguez; 22nd March 2008 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost