Code of Conduct

Default Mugler Cologne / Original Vetiver

I realize that these two smell amazingly similar...However, I can really appreciate the Mugler while I despise the Original Vetiver.
    I am wondering if this is because of the vetiver note. I'm looking at the notes in Mugler and do not see vetiver listed.
    Has anyone else experienced this ?

Default Re: Mugler Cologne / Original Vetiver

HOlly Crap. I wearing OV right now and was coming on to check what was new on the message board while smelling myself and evertime i sniff OV i think of Muglers Cologne. Extremly Similar I can barely tell i diffrence. I going to sample them hand to hand to really see if they are the same.

Certainly an initial similarity for about 15 minutes. Until Muglers changes to some ubiquitious sweet synthetic drydown and even that doesn't last, while the depth and complexity of OV grows for hours with the typically rich Creed millesime base notes.

If you like cheap synthetic swill go for the "Cologne".

Even though I'm a Mugler Cologne junkie, I've only sniffed OV twice. Once at a Saks in Indianapolis, and once at a Neiman Marcus in Chicago. I didn't test it on my skin either time, thinking that out of the bottle it smelled identical to the Mugler, but this post is making me wonder if I should.

(If I do try it and decide to buy it, I'll probably purchase it from PerfumeBay because I've had an excellent experience with the company before. Can't say the same about Needless Markup with their pushy service and ludicrous credit-card acceptance policy.)
    Top 5 for Late Summer:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Aventus - Creed
    3) Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    4) L'Humaniste - Frapin
    5) Millesime Imperial - Creed

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Well, yes they are similar but the Creed beats MC hands down in the evolution and sillage department. Both leave light trails but the Creed one is simply sexy. Up to you guys to decide if the difference is worth paying a lot of money for though.

I have and love both. In the beginning they are really extremely similar - but after some time they develop totally differently. While the Mugler keeps its fresh, clean character, OV turns to a spiyier, richer scent. OV is for me some kind of "Mugler Cologne Extreme" - sometimes I start with Mugler in the morning and switch to OV in the evening.

What I call vetiver is the horrid drydown to the Guerlain's (no offence intended to those who might like it). Mugler Cologne, for a fact, doesn't have it. I have never smelled OV, but if it's missing in there too, that's alright with me - and not a vetiver...

Mugler Cologne has a dry bamboo smell in its drydown. I'll definitely try OV if I see it since I like MC so much! But I know it's impossible to find Creed in my area [smiley=sad.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Well, yes they are similar but the Creed beats MC hands down in the evolution and sillage department. Both leave light trails but the Creed one is simply sexy. Up to you guys to decide if the difference is worth paying a lot of money for though.
    I agree milamber and yes, it is worth the price! OV is much, much better!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald
    I have and love both. In the beginning they are really extremely similar - but after some time they develop totally differently. While the Mugler keeps its fresh, clean character, OV turns to a spiyier, richer scent. OV is for me some kind of "Mugler Cologne Extreme" - sometimes I start with Mugler in the morning and switch to OV in the evening.
    I couldn't have said it better than Gerald.
    They are both worth owning to me.

Eric

I, too, maintain that they both start out smelling virtually identical, then go down different roads in the drydown. Original Vetiver becomes a refined, rich vetiver while Cologne takes on a somewhat sweet and synthetic caste. I have had both in my collection, but dropped the TM in favor of OV.

Overcome By Fumes

I posted several months ago that I thought the most prominent note in TMCologne (perhaps its "mystery" note) was vetiver. No surprise to me that you would sense a similarity.