Code of Conduct

Default Dear God!  These STINK!

Hi all,

Inspired by Iron's ANIMAL thread...I had to start a thread about (so called) STINKY fragrances! Why...well...tonight I tried a sample of Serge Lutens MKK and...GOD...I just can't get enough of STINKY fragrances! I LOVE them! That being said...I would be most appreciative if you all could ADD to my list of HIGH QUALITY (not CHEAP Cologne) STINKERS! (Truthfully, I don't think my list of the following are all STINKY but...some say so...that being said...I LOVE them regardless!).

GUERLAIN JICKY (I need to sample again!).
    SMN ACQUA DI CUBA (my FAVORITE).
    L'ARTISAN DZING
    YSL KOUROS
    PIGUET BANDIT
    L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY
    SL MKK
    CARON YATAGAN
    DIPTYQUE L'AUTRE (Ummmm)
    McQUEEN KINGDOM
    and....

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: Dear God! *These STINK!

L'eau d'Flatulent
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I usually don't criticize fragrances since I believe that each one is a matter of personal taste.

BUT...I had the misfortune of taking a whiff of Pheromone for Men (1999)
    by Marilyn Miglin in Madison Cosmetics. Vile is not the work for what I smelled.

Maybe I have different tastes from a lot of people, but scents that are stinky, smell like body odor, urine, fecal matter or animals have no attraction for me at all. Maybe that's why I'm one of the few here who loves Givenchy Pi!!

I'm totally happy smelling vanilla, citrus, wood and green plants.

Default Re: Dear God!  These STINK!

Yay I was going to ask you to post this actually, but I searched and found most of the stuff you said.

Adding to the list

Givenchy Gentleman! if you don't have it...well get it it's what started my love of stinkies
    Habanita is pretty stinky, but I don't think I could wear it
    Musc Ravageur it's like a sweaty dominatix wrapped in latex

I think the "stinkiest" is Chaps by RL. I can't imagine anyone wearing it.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Pheromone for Men (1999) *
    by Marilyn Miglin *is a very unique scent. *It either works wonders for you or works against you. *The women's version is the same way love it or leave it. *

One Man Show (1980)
    by Bogart is a very powerful scent just last week I wore and had two people love the sillage and third told me to my face I stunk!

Aramis 900 (1978)
    by Aramis an other power house scent very unique and unlike anything else except Aromatic Elixer by Clinique.

These three are powerhouses and crown stinkers you have use them with a very light hand.

By the way Six I think your in love with the sillage aspect of these fragrances, it seem you love scents that leave a trail and aura of the person wearing them....

Stinky, but I do LOVE my Yatagan!

Quote Originally Posted by Nahema
    Stinky, but I do LOVE my Yatagan!
    I second the Yatagan.

Stinks so much it's good!

Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Kingdom, Bandit, Yatagan. My beloved nefarious trinity of darkness.

Salvador Dali Pour Homme indisputably reeks. I am not yet willing to say I like it, but some here certainly do. I can't call it a "must try" unless the thought of hot tar and poisonous herbs sounds irresistible to you.

Blog Entries

SixCats...you crack me up .

When I think of "stinky" scents, I think of drugstore stuff like Aspen, Gravity, Avatar, etc.

I have a confession, though. There was a drugstore across the street from my previous job. People in my office would always need things from the store & I would always volunteer to fetch them. And...I'd spend like 10 minutes there sniffin' the stinkies, lol.

I'd never actually buy them though [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Givenchy Gentlemen
    I think this one is going to start my love for stinkies! Almost smells like cat pee, but I like it! But I have not bought it because I probably won't be able to use it in public without getting stoned...

Messe de Minuit - not so much stinky as flat....out....weird

Aaron

I love the stinky ones too. Yum!

Ok, it's a cheapie but I actually quite like Tabu. [smiley=shocked.gif] It reeks of bodily secretions. Like the putrid flesh of a naked bag-lady on the beach. Like the decomposing body of a murdered prostitute. Yum-yum!

Concord, my friend, you're starting to scare me. [smiley=shocked.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    I love the stinky ones too. Yum!

Ok, it's a cheapie but I actually quite like Tabu. [smiley=shocked.gif] It reeks of bodily secretions. Like the putrid flesh of a naked bag-lady on the beach. Like the decomposing body of a murdered prostitute. Yum-yum!

I just watched my skin crawl a few inches - Yikes!

Aaron

I have not sampled Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan yet, but every Patchouli scent so far was horrible IMO. Especially the Lorenzo Villoresi one. Uughhh.

Fracas stinks as well.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    Concord, my friend, you're starting to scare me. * [smiley=shocked.gif]
    I admit I might have gone over-board there for a bit. But it *is a stinker allright.

Edited to add that Tabu has 40% of patchouli and a megadose of civet. Says it all.

Well, I tried the DREADFUL A*Men two days ago, and I can still smell the vile stench on my arm even after two showers. Although I've only smelled like 40 fragrances, this is by far, without a doubt the worst one yet. It made me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by ExianNYC
    *I can't call it a "must try" unless the thought of hot tar and poisonous herbs sounds irresistible to you.
    Actually, you just made me want to try this one really bad! [smiley=laugh.gif]

And BTW, LV's Patchouli Rocks!! I swear I get high off that stuff....

Hi all,

Thank you all for posting your suggestions! Ahhhh yes...LV PATCHOULI "ROCKS!"
    CJ...I should of been a bit more clear about what I was seeking in the way of STINKY fragrances as to avoid DRUG STORE type stinky fragrances i.e.
    (mostly CHEAP). Scentimus...I am not sure if it is the sillage aspect that GRABS me!
    I guess I just detect something more UNUSUAL, UNIQUE, COMPLEX in many of the
    (SO CALLED) STINKY fragrances. That being said...I DO like STRONGER fragrances! OK...I have sampled GENTLEMAN and I LOVED it! However, I have a had time understanding why folks here say GENTLEMAN is STINKY! I suspect it is because many BN members just do NOT like PATCHOULI...i.e. PATCHOULI STINKS for these folks. LAZY...I like your discription of "flat out WEIRD". YIKES Concord...
    even I'm affraid to try TABU now lol. As far as ANGEL goes...while I personally don't think it stinks per se...it is IMHO waaaaaay TOO sweet! It was fragrances of this type that pushed me Awaaaaaay from SWEETS to STINKS! lol

Regards,
    SixCats!

MPG Route du Vetiver - lightning kissed vetiver after a warm summer's rain

Dzing! - the circus in liquid form

Givenchy Gentleman - Satan's patchouli patch

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublaï Khän - after a hard day of battle, one needs to fill their lust

L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - rose garden gone bad

Givenchy Gentleman must be how a lion's den should smell like!

I second the Chaps by R.L. i got it for birthday and never used it...

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsational
    MPG Route du Vetiver - lightning kissed vetiver after a warm summer's rain

Dzing! - the circus in liquid form

Givenchy Gentleman - Satan's patchouli patch

Serge Lutens Muscs Koublaï Khän - after a hard day of battle, one needs to fill their lust

L'Artisan Voleur de Roses - rose garden gone bad

I agree with you on all till the last sir, and I must defend my now beloved VDR to the death. There is nothing 'gone bad' about the fragrance at all, a touch over ripe perhaps, but not bad. While pungent, I'd hardly lump it in with the circus of pain known as Dzing!

Being a devout musk fan and very much wanting this non-import to be another "find", I made three attempts, putting my sniffer into overtime, trying to search for something redeeming within Koublai Khan. *Looking for the intent. *All the while turning very interesting shades of green and purple. *Utterly replusive....................

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    I agree with you on all till the last sir, and I must defend my now beloved VDR to the death. There is nothing 'gone bad' about the fragrance at all, a touch over ripe perhaps, but not bad. While pungent, I'd hardly lump it in with the circus of pain known as Dzing!
    Well, I actually own three of the five I listed and enjoy them quite a bit, as you obviously do your VdR. You keep it and I'll keep my Dzing!, MKK and RdV.

One man's stink is another man's ambrosia...

I love them all (the "stinkies&quot. Love them. Cannot get enough...

Griff
    Griff

I'm going to say the reason why people think Gentleman stinks is the mix of patchouli and civet, which gives it that nice cat pee in a garden smell. I do agree that patchouli is not a pleasant note though, but I love it.

I have not sampled Patchouli Patch by L'Artisan yet, but every Patchouli scent so far was horrible IMO
    There is still hope that you might like Patchouli Patch then. As, Tigrushka I think said, Patchouli Patch is a Patchouli for people who don't like Patchouli.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

We must not forget Joop. The only time I ever suffered air sickness was sitting between two guys on a New York to Chicago flight. Both guys were powerusers: one Joop and one Le Male. I still have nightmares.

On the positive side is H.O.T Always from Bond No. 9

Kiehl's Original Musk.

A while back, Paul posted that he liked it and got good comments on it. I went to Neimans and tried it and liked it as well. i found it a bit like Kouros even. i almost bought some.

Well, last time i was there they gave me a couple of samples of it. WHAT WAS I THINKING?!? This stuff STINKS! Its like "old man stink" in a bottle. very musky and over the top. Something to have worn in the yesteryear, but in 2005? I'd love to see someone pull it off.

But then again you all know how much I worship Kouros, yet wouldn't wear Kouros in public, even if you paid me a hundred bucks. [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Hey guys, what exactly is civet?

I know it is an ingredient in a fragrance that makes it animalic, but where does this ingrdient come from? A plant? Or is it a chemical?

Hey guys, what exactly is civet?
    A secretion from the anal gland of the civet cat (actually not a cat), used by the civet for marking its territory.

Yea it's essentially cat spray, but the civet is related to a mongoose not cats I believe. Anyway I don't think any companies still use real stuff, because of animal rights violations and such. So now adays only synthetic civet is used. Also if you wanted to know what castoreum was, it is the stuff beavers use to coat their fur with I believe.

I thought catoreum is to beavers as civet is to civet cats.

So the ingredient in the fragrances is a synthetic.

Still, I can't see myself using a fragrance with this kind of smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    But I have not bought it because I probably won't be able to use it in public without getting stoned...
    HAHA!! Givenchy Gentleman musta been The Grateful Dead's favorite!! [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by vannojo
    We must not forget Joop. The only time I ever suffered air sickness was sitting between two guys on a New York to Chicago flight. Both guys were powerusers: one Joop and one Le Male. I still have nightmares.
    Agree on that. Even though I like Le Male (when used in small quantities), an overdose of the stuff and a Joop! poweruser sitting next to me on a cramped Airbus A319 flying United Flight 713 from LaGuardia to O'Hare would make me reach for the barf bag in a nanosecond.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310

Agree on that. Even though I like Le Male (when used in small quantities), an overdose of the stuff and a Joop! poweruser sitting next to me on a cramped Airbus A319 flying United Flight 713 from LaGuardia to O'Hare would make me reach for the barf bag in a nanosecond.
    Interesting how "joop" sounds like a close approximation of the sound one often makes with that first terrible rush of air that signals an impending upchuck.
    Griff

Default Re: Dear God - "J O P" not "joop"

Quote from MCfan310:

Interesting how "joop" sounds like a close approximation of the sound one often makes with that first terrible rush of air that signals an impending upchuck. *

================================================== ====================================

the correct pronounciation would be JOP like in JOB, but english people seem to got used to J OO P, with the double "O" like an "U"...
    but I agree - it makes a lunch related sound in both ways...

Sedenya

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Kiehl's Original Musk.

This stuff STINKS! *Its like "old man stink" in a bottle. very musky and over the top. *Something to have worn in the yesteryear, but in 2005? *I'd love to see someone pull it off.
    I love this one! One of my favorites for cooler weather and easily my second favorite musk behind MKK. I wear this one in public without any issues at all...at least, none that I've been made aware of. [smiley=grin.gif]

I am wearing Romeo Gigli today. Lovely civet and ambergris in the basenotes.

Romeo Gigli fragrance notes:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Petitgrain, Neroli, Bitter Orange, Verbena, Rosewood, Sagebrush, Rosemary, Tarragon, Clary

Middle Notes
    Rose, Bourbon Geranium, Clove, Allspice

Base Notes
    Oak, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Spruce Basalm, Blonde Tobacco, Ambergris, Civet.

Erolfa. Can't get near it.

They don't make it anymore, but some of the guys who were around and wearing frags in the 80s will remember this stinker: Georgio Beverly Hill for Men. I had a little bit still around until recently, and my wife referred to it as "Eau de Old Lady's Handbag." It seemed to contain notes of patchouly, whole civet cat ass, and the escence of the interior of a penecillin bottle. This stuff was quasi-radioactive, but I thought it was bomb-diggetty when chasing chciks around the mall. If they wanted to chase back, they could follow the yellow scent trail!

Quote Originally Posted by CJ
    "whole civet cat ass"
    Had to get a paper towel to wipe the iced coffee off the monitor on that one, THANKS ALOT!
    [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=wink.gif]

Two fragrances have made me literally phsically ill. Chaps and Bandit. Got naseous and dizzy to the point were I nearly rolfed. Had to shower them off. And lie down for most of the day. So, yeah... I guess I could say they stink!

But Gentleman? How can anyone say Gentleman stinks? It don't stink! It good!
    [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    I am wearing Romeo Gigli today. Lovely civet and ambergris in the basenotes.

Romeo Gigli fragrance notes:

Top Notes
    Bergamot, Petitgrain, Neroli, Bitter Orange, Verbena, Rosewood, Sagebrush, Rosemary, Tarragon, Clary

Middle Notes
    Rose, Bourbon Geranium, Clove, Allspice

Base Notes
    Oak, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Spruce Basalm, Blonde Tobacco, Ambergris, Civet.
    Romeo Gilgi is a stinker??