Code of Conduct

Default Twins:  similar scents

Dear everybody

The topic (which comes up periodically, I know) is, what 2 or more scents do you know of that are similar, or have similar facets or aspects or angles?

One motivation for tossing out this topic is the hope that someone out there might say, "Well, I have X, so maybe I don't need Y after all."

A second motivation is that this is one sort-of-objective way of comparing our impressions with each other. Some of you might say "Exian, if you think those two are similar, you've completely overlooked this and this and that," or "I think your topnotes have gone off," or maybe just "I don't know what's in your bottles cause those aren't similar at all."

My first 2 bids:

Visit and M7. Visit is lighter and somewhat more complex, and M7 has more depth and richness, but I still get a lot of what might be agarwood out of both.

Monsieur de Givenchy and YSL Pour Homme HC. I tried the former in a shop, in one of my usual orgies of "oh my god, they have this too? I must find a square inch of skin to spray it on!", so I could have missed something.

Default Re: Twins:  similar scents

I see no similarity between Visit and M7 quite frankly. It might just be me...On the other hand I find

Santos Concentree and Amouage Dia;
    Ungaro II and romeo Gigli to be quite similar.
    Again it might just be me...
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Default Re: Twins: *similar scents

My nose doesn't find M7 and Visit with any sort of similarity either but then again I find similarities between fragrances that others' may think is crazy.
    For example I find a relation between Cool Water by Davidoff and Chic by Carolina Herrera---they aren't twins but to me they are similar.
    I have worn Visit to work and been asked if I was wearing CK Be---to me they aren't close but to others they may smell alike.

Kenneth cole rxn is a lighter version of ADG with a touch of apple? I prefer adg to kc rxn although I own neither.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    Kenneth cole rxn is a lighter version of ADG with a touch of apple? I prefer adg to kc rxn although I own neither.
    I can see this.

My two are Chrome & CK1. On me, neither one has much of a drydown. They both smell the same after an hour of wearing them as they did when I first put them on. Very great unisex scents.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Two words, SUMMER VERSIONS
    Those two words stop me from purchasing most offshoots of the original fragrance
    Just to make a buck, it seems that many designers want to deplete and change their original fragrance that put them on the map.
    Two that instantly come to mind are Kouros and Jaipur.
    Kouros is great, I don't need it's 3 brothers. Yes they are a little lighter and slightly different but still Kouros.
    Jaipur. Wonderful spicy sweet fragrance. Since I have the original, I don't need to satisfy my cravings with the the EDP & Fresh.
    None of the versions are different enough in their fomulation to warrant another purchase.

Jazz <--> Tsar

Way back when...maybe ten years ago or so...I owned both Drakkar Noir and Preferred Stock. *(I was on a budget...sue me. [smiley=grin.gif]) *And I'll be damned if those two didn't smell alike on my skin!! *I remember going to a country-western bar with friends on a Saturday night wearing Preferred Stock. *And I also remember three (3) different girls I danced with saying, "Ooh..are you wearing Drakkar?"

Uhh [smiley=rolleyes.gif]...yeah...it is. *Can I get your phone number? * [smiley=grin.gif]

1. Boss #6(Bottled) = Penhaligons Endymion = Ferrari Black
    2. TL Pour Lui= Montblanc Individuel

How about triplets? I am in no way suggesting these are similar on a note per note basis but to my nose there's no denying the similarities:

Cool Water - Green Irish Tweed - Floris JF

Aaron

It seems like most "fresh fougeres" (if I'm getting the category right) smell nearly identical to me. Jazz, Nobile, Tsar and Drakkar Noir are all kissing cousins... or something.
    Paco Rabanne PH and Worth PH smell very similar. Like 'em both, though. The Worth more, I think.
    And Ungaro II smelled like Chanel PMC to me.
    And... I think that's all I can come with up off the top of my head!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    Two words, SUMMER VERSIONS
    Those two words stop me from purchasing most offshoots of the original fragrance
    Just to make a buck, it seems that many designers want to deplete and change their original fragrance that put them on the map.
    Two that instantly come to mind are Kouros and Jaipur.
    Kouros is great, I don't need it's 3 brothers. *Yes they are a little lighter and slightly different but still Kouros.
    Jaipur. *Wonderful spicy sweet fragrance. * Since I have the original, I don't need to satisfy my cravings with the the EDP & Fresh. *
    None of the versions are different enough in their fomulation to warrant another purchase.

I completely agree. It's ridiculous. There are sooooo many great-smelling lighter fragrances out there anyways that are perfect for summer! There's no purpose for CK1 Summer, Curve Wave, Davidoff Cool Water Sand & Sea or whatever. Pass me my bottle of Clinique Happy on a hot day anytime!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

GIT <--> Himalaya
    (could be continued)
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Fahrenheit and CSP Bois de Filao smell very similar on my skin.

I can also see where Curve drew much of its inspiration from Green Irish Tweed.

L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme and Inis: Energy of the Sea are another very similar set, with Inis being my preferred of the two. It has less bitterness in the top notes.

Perhaps because they are from the same house it's to be expected but to this nose there is quite the similarity between Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau and Opone.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    Jazz <--> Tsar
    Basically agree, but I think Tsar has a bit more carnation.
    In any event, I found them so similar I traded away my bottle of Tsar as I already have Jazz!

L'Occitane Hyssop is like Live Jazz only with more pronounced woody notes.
    Lalique pour Homme EDT (lion) is Heritage "Light."

XS is rather similar to Himalaya ... I don't get the Piper Nigrum out of it like when I first tried it.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Hmmmm...why purchase Green Irish Tweed or Himalaya when i have Curve and XS?

And Sexual PH smells IDENTICAL to Jivago 24K.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl
    Hmmmm...why purchase Green Irish Tweed or Himalaya when i have Curve and XS?
    It depends on what your nose can pick up. I've found GIT similar to Curve but haven't worn GIT often enough to really say that it is the same at this point. I don't get the Cool Water comparisons.

Most people on here prefer Himalaya to XS for one reason or another. Personally, I roll with XS.

Here is another one: Monsieur Galimard & Equipage are similar. Soapy-leathery. I recently tried Equipage and found Monsieur Galimard the more interesting of the two. But that is me! I think Francois might differ with me.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I just got a sample of Great Jones by Bond No. 9. As soon as I applied it, I went into a time warp and came out in....1981, wearing Paco Rabanne!

Visit equals Eau de Patou. They are basically the same fragrance, although Visit is a bit fresher at the start.

Similar stuff is Dior Higher, Azzaro Chrome, Givenchy Pour Homme (and 50 more). Givenchy is the best one!

Guerlain's Heritage is a take on Mark Cross Eau de Toilette, which is itself a more oriental/spicy version of Obsession for Men.

L'Instant de Guerlain pour Femme dries down as Chanel Chance. They both share the same molecule to the unisex Diana De Silva Breeze Deodorant, Green Tea variety.

Un Jardin Dans le Nile smells suspiciously like the Lux Bath Foam of the Garden of Japan variety.

And so on...

What about Creeds OV and Muglers cologne. Quite similar!

CogniScent- Great Jones at the top does indeed remind one of Paco Rabanne, but it quickly dries to very different notes, while Paco remains its one dimensional, strong scent.