Code of Conduct

Default Need Help Picking A Summer Scent!

I can only buy one new scent for the summer (and a miami summer no less) and I need something that's perfect for an extremely causual (sometimes shorts) environment...anyway, I have it narrowed down to Egoiste Platinum, Issey, and D&G Masculine, but am not sure which would be the best...anyone have any ideas?

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Need Help Picking A Summer Scent!

Of this short list, I'd go with D & G. It's got more spirit than the others.

Hmmm.... of your list, I'd go with Issey (provided you've tried it). Issey is the only one of these three that I'm sort of iffy about; half of the time I like it, half of the time it makes me nauceous. D & M Masculine is not a bad scent, but I found it overly synthtic, and ultimately pretty boring. I believe Paul G. made the comments in his review that D & G seems to lack something that ties it all together and makes it work; I definitely agree! Finally, Platinum Egoiste just doesn't strike me as a summer scent. It is too woody and sharp. In addition, this is a scent that people either love or hate (I went through two bottles, but have now given up on it since I cannot wear it anymore without getting a splitting headache), so be prepared for negative reactions.

So all in all, I'd say Issey, though I'd also recommend checking out other citrus-type scents before making your final decision.

great, thank you both very much - i really appreciate it! do you have any other recommendations for something similar to issey then?

First of all are you buying on the net or buying at a department store???? If you are buying on the net then I would sample at the big stores and then purchase a couple of testers from the e-tailers. Make sure to sample first, though. Now to my suggestions/recommendations which are only my opinions.

Issey Miyake--- I have this one and think it's OK but I would hate for it to be my only summer scent
    D&G Masculine---I sampled this one last year and it did nothing for me personally (like the others said it is missing something)
    Egoiste Platinum---This one smells good but it's far from the best summer scent out there--too fancy for everyday use in a casual environment

Some for you to try:
    *Polo Blue---really, really good and not as common as you would think--at least not in my area
    *212 Men---exceptionally good and well rounded scent that has several different notes that are balanced
    *Claiborne Sport---really inexpensive and really good and I never get tired of this one or the compliments it ALWAYS receives
    *Marc Jacobs---some say it has a coconut note while others say its a fig note that dominates but either way this one is good and perfect for a summer/casual environment
    *Lanvin L'homme---one of the best summer scents that never goes out of style and it lasts long after you think it's disappeared
    *Very Sexy 2---slowly becoming my favorite scent because it is versatile, subtle, and yes Sexy

Have fun deciding and good luck with your decision!!!!!!!!

Of the three listed, I'd be in favor of the Issey (original, right?). However, I agree with Cookesoul on the Lanvin L'Homme!! I wore it today and it was like 90F outside and even at 5:30 PM, the cab of my truck was like a sauna after being parked for only a few hours!! The Lanvin was a "no-brainer" for this type of situation. And because my seemingly otherworldly skin can make top notes of a fragrance last for hours (don't ask...I can't give a reason! [smiley=grin.gif]), this pale purple elixir is the fastest route to citrus-lavender coolness I have ever taken!! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Sorry, but I'm going to dissent against your choices and recommend Live Jazz, which is the perfect summer scent, IMHO

Bvlgari Aqva and Acqua di Gio are quite similar to L'eau D'issey

You might also want to try these:
    L'eau par Kenzo pour Homme
    Kenzo pour Homme
    Bvlgari pour Homme Extreme
    Bvlgari Eau de Parfumee Au The Vert
    Mugler Cologne(a MUST-TRY)
    Azzaro Chrome
    Lanvin L'Homme(might get a wee bit cloying in the heat sometimes)

The ones I'm going to tryout:
    Eau Sauvage
    Monsieur de Givenchy

Blog Entries

I second the Mugler Cologne. *This is on my "to buy once I get my credit card balance down a bit" list . *Also, I recently purchased the Azzaro Chrome & I LOVE IT so far. And, if you're into heavy citrus, I always recommend Clinique Happy.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Eau de Rochas pour Homme and Acqua di Portofino.