Code of Conduct

Default Best/proper way to apply cologne?

I'd check the FAQ, but the links don't work..sorry

I did a bit of searching on the net. It seems the best way is no more than 2 sprays, directly onto your hands, and rub it into your neck, chest, etc. Needless to say, I've not been doing it this way at all.. I usually spray my wrist and then rub it against the other wrist, then spray twice onto my upper chest.

So..any suggestions?

Default Re: Best/proper way to apply cologne?

I have been wearing fragrances since the mid 1960's and I have always done the following:

- Spray each wrist and both sides of the neck before leaving home.
    - Spray a little on both sides of shirt before leaving for lunch.
    - When leaving work, reapply like the morning and before lunch but very lightly.

Heavy sprays for light fragrances, medium sprays for regular strength fragrances and light sprays for heavy fragrances.

For heavy fragrances, I like to buy a minitures and use them before lunch and before leaving the office rather than spraying.

For light fragrances, I also spray the back of the neck or behind the ears.

I try to use the bath products in the morning when available.

I learned here at Basenotes, that rubbing the fragrance clouds the scent, and I no longer do that.

If you find a particular scent has little staying power through the day, try a few spritzes on your hair and if you have chest hair (you big manly man you), spray it there as well. Hair tends to absorb and disperse scent longer than skin.

But your mileage may vary.
    Griff

There is no "rule" for cologne application. I would, however, recommend *not* rubbing the fragrance into your skin, as Mike said.

How I spray depends on the particular scent, but for 75% of them I apply one spray directly to the chest and one to the back of my neck.

Thanks. I think before I buy any cologne, I need to hit Sephora and try it on myself first, to see how it works for me as far as scent and lasting power. I didn't do this with Happy.. and it seems the lasting power is quite weak unfortunately. Strange how one scent fades so quickly yet another remains for hours. Varvatos lasts for hours on me.

I seem to have found a good 'general' pattern to follow. A light spray to each wrist, one or two to the chest depending on strength, and one to the back of the neck. For parfums, one spray to the chest and a light spray to the neck.

Granted there are exceptions where I have to spray half the damn bottle to smell anything, but overall this works just fine.

My pattern is one shot to the back of the knee, one to the chest, one (1) spray to the wrist which I press against my other wrist (don't rub), and one to the back of my neck. Sometimes a bit more, i.e. two shots to the chset or a shot to the back of each knee. I've done less as well... depends on how close I'll be to someone.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    My pattern is one shot to the back of the knee,
    K
    If I might ask, why the knee? When I'm wearing long pants can anyone actually smell something I apply on the back of my knee through my clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    [quote author=Vicomte de K link=1120233497/0#6 date=1120240265]My pattern is one shot to the back of the knee,
    K
    If I might ask, why the knee? When I'm wearing long pants can anyone actually smell something I apply on the back of my knee through my clothes?[/quote]

Obviously:

You: (on the ground, fighting with mugger) You're gonna regret messing with me!
    Mugger: Arrggghhh! I'll kill you!
    You: (put the mugger in a head lock with your legs)
    (fighting stops)
    Mugger: (pauses, sniffing around your knees) Hey, nice cologne.
    You: Thanks!
    (pause of silence)
    You: DIE!!! (fighting resumes)

Many here at basenotes prefer the "10 spritzes to the groin" method

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    [quote author=Vicomte de K link=1120233497/0#6 date=1120240265]My pattern is one shot to the back of the knee,
    K
    If I might ask, why the knee? When I'm wearing long pants can anyone actually smell something I apply on the back of my knee through my clothes?[/quote]

Clearly, MDesigner has intuitively grasped my reasoning. I have vanquished many foes in such a manner.

The back of the knees is a pulse point so it expresses siliage well. Additionally, placement there seems to increase overall duration. Spraying too much on the upper part of my body can be cloying. I would agree that by just spraying the back of the knee would likely prove fruitless, except with the more siliage-prone fragrances. But in combination with sprays here and there it seems to increase the duration.

Spraying on the body but allowing it pass through clothes also seems to helps to mute a fragrance while increasing duration. I have noticed that scents on bare parts of my body tend to dissipate quicker than those areas where I have covered it with clothes, generally. I am not sure whether this is due to the clothes picking up the scent or other reasons. I have not noticed after putting my clothes in the hamper that my shirt smells particularly like fragrance.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I pretty much apply liberally all over my body [smiley=shocked.gif]
    ..front of wrist, back of wrist, neck, shoulder, chest, stomach, crook of elbow, crook of knee, back..

I have tons fo cologne so why not use it ?? [smiley=grin.gif]

Blog Entries

Most of the time I do a spray on each wrist, two sprays to the chest, and a spray on both sides of the neck for a total of 6 sprays. I adjust this w/ heavier/lighter scents.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

What is the theory behind applying at pulse points and sillage. Are they warmer than the rest of the body? (Can't be much warmer). Does blood circulation or something affect the sillage and effect of scent?
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

How about miniatures? Since rubbing will 'spoil' the scent, what's the best way to apply a fragrance from miniature?

Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen! Several years ago I managed a men's fragrance bar and learned alot about the trade from reps and also the history of fragrances as it pertains to western european culture.

Ideally, eau de toilette was meant to cover up 'odours' when making one's toilette was not, how should we say, as frequent as our 1- 2 showers a day here in North America & Europe.

So, I suggest this to those of you in a quandry about how to wear fragrance. Again, as has been mentioned there are no rules BUT scent wearing TODAY is meant to be noticed.

I wear cologne almost everyday and after showering, spray it on my chest, arms, lower back and a little as an aftershave. Don't rub!

Also, if you give yourself about an hour in the morning before you head out that is usually enough time for the fragrance to 'temper' itself down before you greet the rest of the world.

Those of you who have mentioned short-lived experiences with the strength of various fragrances might want to apply a non-scented body moisturizer as dry skin does no favour for your well-spent fragrance dollars.

Happy Fourth of July!
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham
    Gentlemen, gentlemen, gentlemen! Several years ago I managed a men's fragrance bar and learned alot about the trade from reps and also the history of fragrances as it pertains to western european culture.

Ideally, eau de toilette was meant to cover up 'odours' when making one's toilette was not, how should we say, as frequent as our 1- 2 showers a day here in North America & Europe.

So, I suggest this to those of you in a quandry about how to wear fragrance. Again, as has been mentioned there are no rules BUT scent wearing TODAY is meant to be noticed.

I wear cologne almost everyday and after showering, spray it on my chest, arms, lower back and a little as an aftershave. Don't rub!

Also, if you give yourself about an hour in the morning before you head out that is usually enough time for the fragrance to 'temper' itself down before you greet the rest of the world.

Those of you who have mentioned short-lived experiences with the strength of various fragrances might want to apply a non-scented body moisturizer as dry skin does no favour for your well-spent fragrance dollars.

Happy Fourth of July!
    So how do I use miniatures? [smiley=undecided.gif]

The rub and spoil theory - I don't know. It is so easy to test that. To my nose, nothing appears to be spoilt. Maybe I use robust juices.

The knee inside: a bit difficult to manage but it sounds so weird I had to try that. What a surprise - this works very well for me, who never did like scents near the face or on the neck. Also, I sit a lot at work, so the knee is not too far. One knee or both plus pulse to zoom into in future. Thanks for the advice! OK - special moments require more efforts, I guess.

p.s. history: I still have Givenchy and Lanvin bottles from the nineties which are non-sprayers. My Puigs are younger. From these a handfull on your cheeks or a drop behind the ear were considered just right (in old Europe).
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Any recomendations on moisturizers sans scent?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MDesigner

Obviously:

You: (on the ground, fighting with mugger) You're gonna regret messing with me!
    Mugger: Arrggghhh! *I'll kill you!
    You: (put the mugger in a head lock with your legs)
    (fighting stops)
    Mugger: (pauses, sniffing around your knees) Hey, nice cologne.
    You: Thanks!
    (pause of silence)
    You: DIE!!! (fighting resumes)
    I just gotta say that this cracked me up.

after putting unscented lotion on my neck and chest i like to apply 2 or 3 sprays in light, well spread layers on my upper chest and some of the mist will hit my neck ever so slightly. then i seal it with my shirt.

i always liked this method better bc it requires the scent to have to mix with your body heat/chemistry and 'push' its way through your shirt, so the scent is more a part of you, if that makes any sense at all. i mean i never understood why so many guys spray directly on their shirt.

Can anyone recommend a few fragrance-free lotions?

Spray it on the chest, neck and wrists, never on your clothes...and dont rub it.

There is no best way... only what works for you. I like to hit my neck twice and then the inside of my elbows with one spray each. After I'm fully clothed I'll give my neck another shot. Thats how it works for me.

One spray to the chest for me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Can anyone recommend a few fragrance-free lotions?
    Nivea

Xen asked about minatures (non-spray) and how to apply fragrances from them. I have the same question.

ScentSeattle

Blog Entries

What I do is pour a few drops in one hand, put my hands together to get the scent evenly on both hands, then GENTLY glide my hands across my chest & shoulders. If my hands are still "wet" I'll touch them to my forearms.

Personally, if I can't get a small sample in a spray, I try to get a decant in a roll-on bottle. It's easier to apply, IMO.

Overcome By Fumes

Little to add here. The spray-in-the-air-and-walk-through method wastes most of the fragrance and I would never do that. A little rubbing doesn't seem to hurt anything, but too much does (this is true for almost anything you might rub). I avoid spraying clothing directly, as some fragrances do stain--I'd rather spray the body and let it dry a bit before putting on a shirt for example. If you want lots of sillage, spray more--I use a dozen spritzes sometimes depending on the fragrance. If you'd prefer discretion, one application to each side of the neck plus or minus wrists, often is sufficient. If it is not a spray bottle, I either use a syringe and transfer it to a little sprayer or I dab it gently where I want it.