Code of Conduct

Default Beyond Paradise...humor me

Well ever since Luca Turin went all gaga over Lauder's Beyond Paradise for men, I've been thinking of buying some. I need another lukewarm designer scent like I need a hole in my head. I was at a mall today, but I didn't get to try it. This stupid store has started a practice of removing testers from the customers grasp. So if you want to try something, you have do deal with a high pressure salesperson. And today, there was no one even there behind the men's counter anyway. I really wanted to try Beyond Paradise, but I really didn't want to deal with the pressure to buy it.

So anyway...IS it a great scent? Is it leagues better than the crappola Kenneth Cole crap it shares counter space with? What's so good about it? Is it complex? Is it a scent that one would tire of quickly? is it unique?

I gotta know.

Default Re: Beyond Paradise...humor me

Beyond Paradise is one of those fragrances that I really want but I don't want to spend the $50 for it just yet. It is quite possibly one of the best designer/summer scents ever released and has a tropical/fresh/spicy thing going on with it that makes it useful in various situations. It's not very masculine but you can tell it's made for a man. Another reason I don't own it is because a good friend of mine has it and I don't want to steal his signature fragrance! I don't know if you would tire of it quickly or not because I tend to tire of them all rather quickly but it is unique and interesting. I own Estee Lauder's Pleasures for men and find it quite different from Beyond Paradise----even though they are both more feminine than masculine to my nose. It has nothing to do with the scent but BP's bottle is one of the coolest around. I also have Kenneth Cole Reaction and for what it is worth I wish I would have bought the BP instead----oh well.

what about INTUITION ... ???

Indie,

Tell me where you want the hole.

Quote Originally Posted by cookesoul
    It is quite possibly one of the best designer/summer scents ever released and has a tropical/fresh/spicy thing going on with it that makes it useful in various situations.

That is one of the most absurd statements I have ever heard.

I did a google search on "Luca Turin" to find out who this was and WOW----this guy has one heck of a nose on him to be able to pick apart odors like he does. Quite impressive. Thanks Indie

Don't you mean "read" instead of "heard"----you have never "heard" my voice now have you???? Explain why this statement is absurd with examples of your own DESIGNER/SUMMER favorites and I will not take this as an insult. Step up to the plate or sit on the bench.

Letís skip the semantics discussion; itís nihil ad rem.

I would like to start by saying I am in no way a fragrance snob. I have tested Beyond Paradise many times, and I think itís another carbon copy; Beyond Paradise is another generic and fruity fragrance with a transparent wood/musk base. Itís a truly insipid fragrance.

For a fragrance to be Ďgreatí it must be innovative. Chanel #5, Angel, M7, even Aqua di Gio fits that bill. The truth is, Beyond Paradise is nothing new or interesting. Sure, it may be wearable, but itís not an interesting fragrance. Itís the kind of fragrance with no theme or contrast. There arenít even any dominant notes; in fact, itís difficult to pick out a single note.

J, get on Messenger. Gotta tell you about today's scores!!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Well ever since Luca Turin went all gaga over Lauder's Beyond Paradise for men, I've been thinking of buying some.
    I seem to have missed that one. However I remember well what he wrote about BP for women. Indie, if you do not mind, pls indicate where or when his review on BP (men) was published.
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ť un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

tobydear

Awful. Synthetic. Smells cheap on anyone.

But expensive because EL's main interest is to make MONEY.

TD

Nice Latin and you are right in that it has nothing to do with the point here on this post. I do like BP and think it is a very good fragrance but that's just my opinion.

Don't buy BP. Waste of money you can get better scnets with. I was intrigued with it in the beginning
    since like every other scent out today the top notes are fresh invigorating, exotic whatever..but 1 dimensional, nothing happens and you get tired of it very quick.
    It's a synthetic concoction no doubt, but the it starts smelling way too synthetic and causes nausea, paranoia and schizophrenia... well almost..

Gotham

yawn......

really quite a boring fragrance. has pretty much nothing going for it. definately smells synthetic, i'd spring and say it smells cheap.

and the longevity is nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1120772537/0#0 date=1120772537]Well ever since Luca Turin went all gaga over Lauder's Beyond Paradise for men, I've been thinking of buying some. *
    I seem to have missed that one. However I remember well what he wrote about *BP for women. Indie, if you do not mind, pls indicate where or when his review on BP (men) was published.
    [/quote]

here's the link:

http://lucaturin.typepad.com/perfume...timate_fo.html

And after you read his piece there, there's another bit somewhere on his site where he talks about BP Men again, along with L'Instant de Guerlain and he praises both.

Thanks for your opinions guys. I'm definitely going to try it at some point. It sucks that none of the stores of which the SA's know and love me, carry the stuff. I just need to score a sample. I don't know if in the end I need a 'fruity' scent, because those are the first ones to bore me. But I'll definitely give it a shot. And if it smells synthetic, that's not necessarily a disqualifier for me.

as far as stores removing testers from counters, my store does it as there is a very high theft rate on the testers. yes, they are free and didnt cost the store anything.. but once they are gone, we have nothing to show a customer, therefore we can't sell the product.

i remember last christmas leaving the testers on the counter for just one day as it was very busy in the department, with lots of people looking to sample everything. out of the maybe 100 bottles on counter, i lost about 10 to theft in just one day (mostly more expensive bottles). this happens in even the most upscale department stores. i seem to recall burberry brit for women one of the most stolen testers in my local area of stores.

anyway, speaking of beyond paradise, i find this scent kind of cheap smelling. there are many more fruity scents out there. the dry down is nothing special, and the bottle is a bid odd. i'd say test it out, but save your money for something else.

That sucks about the theft. I can sympathize with the stores' decision.

However, I really want to be able to sample new things without some ill-informed SA getting in the way. Nothing against SAs in general. There are a few stores I patronize specifically because they have great SAs. Its just that when you get to few department stores in certain malls, the experience sucks. Its really hard to convey your honest assessments without coming off like a snob. I hate asking for samples without buying anything, because I don't want to look like a freeloader. yet when I go to SAKS and Neimans, they are always quick to unload the good stuff on me because they know I'm gonna return at some point and buy whatever floats my boat.

Except I'm going through a phase where I've hit a realization that I buy too much stuff. I'm getting more disciplined. Yesterday i passed on a Gucci pour homme gift set at Marshalls ( the price was good) because I realised I had tons of samples of Gucci pour homme but never really liked it enough to wear. I've pretty much crossed over into niche domain, but still I'll give anything a chance to impress me. I'm really, really glad I picked up L'eau Bleue D'Issey and in the process...I've rediscovered something nice that was under my nose all along- the REGULAR L'Eau D'Issey pour homme. I stopped wearing it because it seemed to common, but last week I wore it out to dinner and really enjoyed it.

Same goes for Bulgari BLV pour homme. I can't tell you why, but I've dusted off my bottle of BLV and worn it as a work scent and an evening scent and was really taken with it. It never seems like a wrong choice.