Code of Conduct

Default What to buy tomorrow?

Well I'm bravely venturing forth tomorrow to buy a pair of dress shoes for a Saturday conference, and I know I'll be stopping by the local Sephora/Nordstroms/Perfumania while I'm at the mall to pick something up. I'm curious about the following and would like some input:

Alfred Dunhill--Dunhill
    Burberry--London or Touch
    D&G--Masculine
    Givenchy--Xeryus
    Escada--Magnetism
    Salvatore Ferragemo--Incanto
    Gendarme-- V or 20
    Jill Sander for Men
    Lacoste Pour Homme
    Michael Kors
    Paul Smith Extreme
    YSL--Kouros

I know it's a big list but I'm pretty curious about all of those. I know I can't buy them all at once lol so any advice as to the 'can't pass by' and 'avoid at all cost' members of the group would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to buy tomorrow?

DO NOT GET INCANTO! GET EITHER THE TOUCH OR MAGNETISM AS A SAFE BET.

I secong Stu's advice; to me, Incanto is the weakest link in an otherwise impressive fragrance line. Two others I would skip over are D&G Masculine (I think it's just too lemony; there are waaay more sophisticated and interesting citrus scents out there) and Jil Sander for Men, which to me smells like pure turpentine and gives me an instant headache. I know it must have its fans out there, but I have never encountered one personally! Finally, regarding Kouros; sure, go ahead and try it, but I would not purchase this one unless you've been exposed to the entire drydown at least once. There is a reason this stuff is so controversial....

have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix
    Finally, regarding Kouros; sure, go ahead and try it, but I would not purchase this one unless you've been exposed to the entire drydown at least once. There is a reason this stuff is so controversial....

have fun

Ok, that's pretty much why I'm so curious about it, this scent seems to have the equivalent controversy of the Kennedy assasination! Everyone I talk to either loves it or hates it, there is no midground. I remember sniffing a bottle a while ago and thinking I liked the 'Body' version better, but I'm going to go try it in the store tomorrow and see what the dry down yields.

Or I can buy it and simply alternate it with Dzing! to work every day for a week until my coworkers go insane

[/quote]Or I can buy it and simply alternate it with Dzing! to work every day for a week until my coworkers go insane [/quote]

I believe that is what is meant by the term "Animal House" [smiley=grin.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    DO NOT GET INCANTO! GET EITHER THE TOUCH OR MAGNETISM AS A SAFE BET.
    what happen with INCANTO ??

is in my mind to buy it.... seems to be a nice fragance

Magnetism is an interesting choice. It is certainly unique, and a nice blend of sweet, spicy, and smooth leather. It may come off a bit floral at first, but the dry down is quite nice. A nurse at work went nuts this last winter when I would wear it - she said it smelled soft, but masculine, whatever that means. Be sure to try it on your skin. I think this is a fragrance that is not made to test on paper. I'm not familiar with all those on your list, but Magnetism would be my vote.
    You have a lot of safe (maybe a little dull for my taste) frags in the list, then Kouros, which sticks out like a midget in a clown suit. But please, test it on your skin like the man says. Be bold. Give it a few hearty shots to the chin, one to each arm, and one in the groin. Then you can really strut...
    Have fun shopping. You will probably walk out of there with something completely unexpected anyway.
    Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

IncantNO!!! I just don't get the intention of the Ferragamo people with this scent. It starts out badly and gets worse. Any dissenters here?

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickins
    You have a lot of safe (maybe a little dull for my taste) frags in the list,

You are right on the money with that one, all of my exciting fragrances come in next week. I ordered 1/4 oz decants of every Creed available, traded for Dzing!, and bought Voleur De Roses and L'Passage Enfer, along with MPG Iris Bleu, as well as some other fragrances like Opium, L'Anarachiste and Rive Gauche.

Maybe I'd better wait, I really just want something good to wear out Friday and Saturday evening

Edit: I'm currently madly in love with New York, this little gem:
    http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/fra...i?a14=26122067

Maybe I'll wear it out and gauge the reaction...

I would get one of these as I like them all:

Gendarme 20
    Paul Smith Extreme

Try the dunhill fresh, I haven't tried it yet but it sounds good!

From your list, my top two are Dunhill Man (2003) [the one with the grey colored liquid in the difficult to hold bottle] and Gendarme V.

Gendarme V is a scent you can wear anyplace and during any season. Soapy and refined. Lasts all day on me.

Dunhill Man (2003) is a moderate-lasting smooth musk. Makes me smell like a million dollars, with some swagger to boot. Masculine but not in your face about it. I imagine this would what a man would wear if he was well dressed and it took him no effort to do so. 007 would wear this.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Do you mean regular Dunhill or Dunhill Fresh? I have Fresh and wasn't very pleased with it, another blind buy gone wrong!

Edit: Thanks VitK, it seems like Dunhill will be the winner of the bunch!

Also, I need to pick up fresh bottles of Pacha and Boucheron at some point....too many choices!

Post Thanks / Like

PDN New York! Now you are getting somewhere!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    PDN New York! Now you are getting somewhere!!!!!!

lol I know, I'm madly in love with this one. Excellent projection, lasts quite a while one me, smells great, very 'rich', etc.

I'm tracking it down, placing an order for a full bottle tomorrow!

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's see you have a bunch of exotic gems coming, and the opportunity to wear the majestic New York from Parfums de Nicolai, and you offer us a group of middleweight fragrances from which to select? What are you thinking? Of the ones listed, the only one I really like is Givenchy Xeryus, because it seems to have a bit more punch than the others. Up against the Creeds and all though...I'm not sure any of these is going to stand up as something you will really want to maintain as a staple. By all means, sniff about, and give Xeryus and the others a chance...but if I were in your shoes I would take a little time to indulge in the goodies you have on the way and recently acquired before rushing to buy one of these listed.

I used to wear Sander for men and Burberry London occasionally but would have to be paid to wear either one of them now. They both have this minty thing to them that I cannot stand anymore. If you can find John Varvatos or Chic by Carolina Herrera I would try these---they both are Friday/Saturday night offerings that won't let you down.

I know you're right docluv but sometimes I feel compelled to try EVERYTHING even if it is in your words 'middleweight'

Ah well, I'll probably smell them all, reject them, and end up buying another bottle of Boucheron lol

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    Do you mean regular Dunhill or Dunhill Fresh? I have Fresh and wasn't very pleased with it, another blind buy gone wrong!

Edit: Thanks VitK, it seems like Dunhill will be the winner of the bunch!

Also, I need to pick up fresh bottles of Pacha and Boucheron at some point....too many choices!
    I wasn't impressed with Dunhill Fresh either. If you ever get a chance to try the old Dunhill - the 1934 version - I encourage you to do so. It has a lot of development is rather wearable during the summer for a powerhouse scent.

They should have the 2003 Dunhill at Sephora's; lord knows they'll charge you enough for it. My advice would be to try in a department store but buy online... unless price is not an issue. Nordies has a pretty good selection and usually a boatload of testers, but I don't frequent them so I can't say that they'll have Dunhill '03.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I love Michael Kors (for men.) Wasn't really into it first, but it grew on me considerably. It's definitely a masculine scent, a good cologne to wear for evenings out or possibly for everday use. You can't lose with it, but then again, everybody has a different taste...

Good luck!

I've found that when I do go to Sephoras, I have to make my purchase rather quickly or risk a stree headache from wanting to throttle the blackclad magpies that circle me endlessly asking if I need anything, trying to spray Aqua Di Gio in my face, etc, etc. I appreciate attentive customer service, but when I politely tell one of them that I'm just browsing, they walk off and another one inevitably takes their place 30 seconds later. LEAVE ME ALONE ARGH.

The only reason I still go to Sephora/Nordstroms is that they let me smell the testers while I'm there. I love niche scents like Creed but it's next to impossible to find a store that actually sells them where i live so I can smell before I buy. Thank for for 1/4 oz decants, for 10 bucks even if it reeks it's worth saving me over 100 dollars for a bottle!

You know, there's nothing wrong, IMO, with picking some "regular," non-exotic scents. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a good smelling frag that isn't exotic, or rare, or controversial, and you've picked some pretty good ones. I think a good, well-rounded wardrobe consists of both good mainstream frags as well as the Dzings of the world.

My votes are for Xeyrus and London.

I agree that this is a pretty dull list. The Gendarmes are good if you want super-safe and the Kouros is interesting... Sounds like most of these wolud be a letdown compared to what you already have.

Post Thanks / Like

Gendarme V

First off, let me just say that you have some great stuff on the way. Voleur de Roses and Passage D'Enfer are two of my all time faves. World class and yet worlds apart. Rive Gauche is the scent that has gotten me the most compliments of anything I've ever worn. Its sick really. It defies logic. Don't get me wrong, i wear it because I like it, but alot of people on here have panned it. Yet, whenever I happen to wear it, women ALWAYS nuzzle up to me and say how good I smell. And I think you'll enjoy L'Anarchist quite a bit. Its a real oddball. Sometimes it smells like OFF bug spray, and sometimes it smells like a masterpiece. Definitely an attention-getter.

As for your choices tomorrow...

Hmmm...I don't know. I'm a HUGE admirer of Kouros. having said that, I'll admit this. I don't wear it out in public. I don't think I can pull it off yet. Well...In terms of an everyday environment. I think Kouros is remarkable, but it does smell like pee to some people and I've make the association myself even. Still, you can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs, and as such, Kouros is very rough around the edges. A real work of art. I've waxed poetic about Kouros many times, but it took me a while to get into it. I used to want to like it, yet hated it every time I sampled it...until one day it just clicked. So if you see the Kouros Cologne Sport version, you might try it. Its a good start.

Since you are getting Passage D'Enfer. Voleur de Roses, Rive Gauche, L'Anarchist- all very wearable- go for for it and wean yourself onto Kouros. The more you hate it now, the more you will love it later!
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton