Code of Conduct

Default My dear red riding coat

I was out today with a mission to re-acquire Floris Elite in the sales, guess what stopped me in my tracks? Habit Rouge!

I know this classic has been discussed endlessly on this forum, and there is a valid enough reason because it marks Par Excellence, it is a classic aristocratic fragrance, one that distinguishes men from boys, it is a "first among equals" scent. I really like the creaminess it possess, the carnation note is so damn exquisite.

I really take my hat off to this fragrance as it is not for children.

Is there anyone in the house 'feeling' me on this? Also, can anyone tell me what the eau de parfum is like?
    Let your nose be your pilot

Default Re: My dear red riding coat

This is one of the greats. Also, one of the best representatives of the designers in the niche vs. designer competetion. Is there a niche scent like Habit Rouge?

Quote Originally Posted by minchovy
    This is one of the greats. Also, one of the best representatives of the designers in the niche vs. designer competetion. *Is there a niche scent like Habit Rouge?
    Maybe that's because they're an artisinal house? At least i think they position themselves that way.

Quote Originally Posted by minchovy
    This is one of the greats. Also, one of the best representatives of the designers in the niche vs. designer competetion. Is there a niche scent like Habit Rouge?
    Creed REL, the grand-daddy of all such oriental leathers.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I have refrained from commentting on HR since I joined Basenotes, but now seems an appropriate time.

This was my first "real" scent, after the usual dregs like Canoe, English Leather, Jade East, High Karate, and others (yes, I am very, very old). (If only I had access to English Gentleman, Blackbeard's Desire and Sex Panther!!!!) I wore this one endlessly as a teenager and early 20's; then my love affair with scent waxed and waned as other temptations/indulgences presented themselves. lol. Hey, it was the 60s-70s.

I haven't smelled or worn this one for probably 20 years. Then last year, in the airport, I stopped at a duty-free store and sprayed it on my arm for old-time sake. Gosh, it sure bought back memories, but I don't know if this is one I could wear today.

To me it smelled oppressively heavy, and I'm a fan of big, "punch you in the face" fragrances. I guess you could make an argument that this is a "classy" scent, but there have been so many before AND after this one that fit that mold even better....some from the same house....I don't know what I'm trying to say here, except HR did not seem as wonderful to me as an adult as it did as a young man. It's one of those scents that I have a hard time imaging a time and place for. I work in a small office and couldn't subject this one to the fragrance-adverse...I guess a night out?

That being said, I am DYING to try the EDP edition. I picture myself decanting some in a roll-on bottle and applying it very judiciously.

Anyone know where it is sold at a good price, or have any for sale?

Ballard that's some constructive criticism there, I bet you're gagging to start an illicit affair with the eau de parfum (lol!)

I yam, I yam!

Now if I only knew where to find it!

I've searched the usual places and come up empty-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by magnnum
    Also, can anyone tell me what the eau de parfum is like?
    Magnum: I tried the EDP in a mystery scent challenge. I found the EDP to be similar to the EDT but had an agarwood note in it which came out after wearing the scent for an hour or two. Since I had M7 (which has agarwood) and have the EDT I was able to identify it. The EDP is nice enough, but qute frankly I am satisfied with the EDT... I'm not an agarwood fan.

However, the EDP does have some depth which the EDT lacks, if you get bored with the leather note.

Sometimes the EDT has a "cardboard" note. I have also noticed this in Acqua di Parma - Colonia. Anyhow, I came across HR EDC at Marshalls for $19.99 this Spring and couldn't pass it up. The worked extremely well this summer on a hot day at work. The scent was subtly there through the day and did not have the cardboard note. The EDC also has a touch more citrus than the EDT... not a lot more.

I like both EDT & EDC but I am leaning towards the EDC. The EDT lasts as well but seems to have a bit more power through the day... perhaps it is better as a summer night scent for me, or for wearing during the winter days.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

vicompte thanks for this info, i think i might just buy the edc instead of the edt, if it proves to be more versatile & long-lasting.