Code of Conduct

Default My Creeds came in yesterday!

First, hats off to perfumebay. Flawless service, great prices, a ton of samples, etc. I am placing another order next week, can't wait!

On to the scents!

1: Himalaya. The first bottle I opened, and it has leapt into my top five of all time. Now, I know my experience with colognes is probably limited compared to most of the members of this board, but quite simply I have never smelled anything like this. Opens with a fruity note, more berry than citrus in my opinion, with one of the best drydowns I've ever experienced. Within 20mins I was detecting notes of peper, musk, woods, and incense. Very refined, classy, I love it. On a lite side note, this cologne elicited the reaction Axe wishes/claimed that it did. I sprayed it on, went over to my girlfriends apartment an hour later. I take a step into the door, she looks at me, buries her face in my collar and takes a deep breathe before half moaning that this was the best cologne she had every smelled. Anything that makes my girl nearly rip my clothes off the minute I show up is a winner in my books.

2: Erolfa. Thank god I now have something perfect for hot summer days. A true citrus opening, not harsh though. I'm a poor writer so the best way to describe it is to imagine the two sides of a citrus note: One sharp and poignant and the other more sensual and mellow. This scent leans towards the more mellow side in my opinion. The orange smell actually lasts for a while through the dry down, when saltwater notes begin to develop, along with an oiled wood smell. If you've ever been on an old ship, over 200 years old on a hot day, you'll recognize the smell. The saltwater note doesn't project as well as I would like, which leads me to my one complaint: I've smelled this cologne before. I might be going crazy, but this smells alot like Boucheron Pour Homme in my opinion. Anyone else pick this up?

3:Tabaróme Millésime. Ok, so this is what money/wealth/success smells like. This is a very odd scent. It's rich,very rich. Tobacco comes through, spices, a touch of leather. The response it evokes in me though is that I question whether I'm 'ready' for it. I've read comments here from people saying some colognes are for the 30 and over group, and I dismissed them. I think they might be onto something here. I would feel uncomfortable/awkard wearing this at anything other than the most important of events, I'd feel almost like an imposter. It's great, I don't know if I'm ready for it though. I'll give it a few more tries, I might be over-reacting. Don't get me wrong, I love the smell but this isn't an everyday scent, it isn't a clubbing scent, it's not even formal. It deserves it's own uber-formal rating.

So, I'm pleased with my purchases and with the house of Creed in general. Next I need to pick up Silver Moutain Water and GIT, possibly original Vetiver. Again I'd like to thank the board for introducing me to Creed, it probably would have been years before I found them on my own.

This leads me to my next question: I'm going to start collecting other scents from designer houses, where should I start? I'm going to try Clive Christian and Annick Goutal on Friday and see what I think. Feel free to share your thoughts about Creed and other houses here.

Default Re: My Creeds came in yesterday!

Himalaya is also at the top of my personal list. I go along with everything you said. I also favor Erolfa for summer and having been a professional seaman for many years and you are right on about that one too. Any old ship really. It's got that ambiance. As for the Tabarome, initially I thought it was old and stuffy but over time my perception changed. I think it has a fresh edge that makes it acceptable to a younger person if they feel the affinity with it. At least give it time. Be sure to try Original Vetiver. This one is very nice and probably the only fragrance I have that I really enjoy on hot hot days.

I think Creed is like the mainstream in the niche world. I found that a lot of there stuff seems to strongly resemble already made designer scents. I seem to enjoy more of their vintage stuff with SMW and BdP. I used to enjoy MI but now find it to be very one-dimensional. I got a 10ml decant of Himalaya and remember only using it a few times. It grabbed me at first, but then I found it to be rather boring and one-dimensional like MI. The last powering wasn[ch8217]t all that great either and it didn[ch8217]t seem to progress all that much through the time I had it on. It smelled like a mix of citrus and woodnotes. I think you[ch8217]ll enjoy SMW, and if you like Cool Water, you[ch8217]ll love GIT. OV smells pretty much like Mugler[ch8217]s Cologne.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    I think Creed is like the mainstream in the niche world.

I can see your point there. Who do you consider to be top of the line/cutting edge in the niche world?

Wow, that[ch8217]s a really hard question to answer. I[ch8217]m hoping someone else can better answer it, but here goes with me. I think this question is mostly based on opinion, so I[ch8217]ll try my best. I just wanted to say that my knowledge in niche perfumes is very limited due to the fact that it[ch8217]s really hard to gain hands on testers in my local area so I constantly have to purchase samples, but I can give you my view on what I[ch8217]ve tried so far. As for Creed, I find there stuff to be [ch8220]ok[ch8221], nothing mind blowing but still worth trying. I think like most people here, Creed was there first niche perfume, and we found them to be lovely at first but then we grew out of that phase. I think the house of MPG is nice, they got some really well mixed fragrances that get better and better as you where them, and 90 USD for a niche perfume compared to Creed 180 USD, its worth the deal. Thought I can[ch8217]t really give a final judgement because I[ch8217]ve only tried Santal Noble, IB Girs and Secret Melange in the line so far. Thought I[ch8217]m getting 8 more samples from this line soon. L[ch8217]artisan is nice as well, they have some really unique scents but the only problem I have with this line is that most of there fragrances come in EDT concentration making it very weak and short lived, at least on my skin, but I still advice you to try the line. I recommend Voleur de Roses and Tea for Two. Serge Lutens is another good one but I find a lot of there stuff to smell a like in a very weird way, but they got some really good scents under the non-export line. Amouage is nice as well but I think when you pay 300-400 USD for a bottle, your basically paying for that expensive crystal bottle instead of the juice. My advice to you, Madgradrx, is to go around and try scents yourself and see what you like. Just trust you nose and if you like it and it makes your girlfriend rip your clothes off, then by all means buy it and wear it. Just don't care about what other people think.

Good Luck with your findings.

I am very glad you enjoyed your experience. I got a dozen samples from Ebay a few months ago and will be posting my notes as soon as I am done with my sample vials. I affectionately call them my “crack” vials, as they seem to resemble them and can be just as addictive. I have yet to sample my Himalaya but I have sampled Erolfa. Your description is perfect and I found it to be a fascinating fragrance. I just can’t think of an occasion to wear it so won’t be buying a full size. Based on your…ehem…description of Himalaya, I cant wait to try mine. My main reason in responding is to “defend” Tabarome. I have heard it described as stuffy, like eating lobster every day, but I disagree. A big meow to my feline comrade Sixcats because I share his adoration for this one. I think it can be a perfect fragrance anytime. Suit and tied, jeans and T-shirt, day and evening, winter and summer, anytime. Many don’t see such versatility in this one but, like Sixcats, if I had to choose only one, Tabarome would be it. It lasts into next week and it elicits responses from women I can’t describe in a family forum. Granted, I am over thirty but even clubbing, when you are surrounded by the Bosses and Davidoff’s of the world, it can make you stand out in an incredible way. Please give it time. It can be like liquid confidence. Keep us posted on your upcoming experiments. Good luck!

Duke

Well I wore Erolfa to work today and I swear I've either found the perfect fragrance house for my body chemistry or Creed puts phermones in their colognes. Within five minutes of walking into my pharmacy, several of my coworkers announced I smelled 'different' and came over to get a better sniff. This cologne garned more compliments about being 'fresh and clean' than I expected. Considering the low price I paid for these, my expectations have been met and exceeded. I'm saving busting out the Taborame till I go clubbing all weekend long next weekend in DC, might as well put it through it's paces there

And Duke, anytime is the right time for Erolfa!

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    Well I wore Erolfa to work today and I swear I've either found the perfect fragrance house for my body chemistry or Creed puts phermones in their colognes. Within five minutes of walking into my pharmacy, several of my coworkers announced I smelled 'different' and came over to get a better sniff. This cologne garned more compliments about being 'fresh and clean' than I expected. Considering the low price I paid for these, my expectations have been met and exceeded. I'm saving busting out the Taborame till I go clubbing all weekend long next weekend in DC, might as well put it through it's paces there

And Duke, anytime is the right time for Erolfa!
    Well, hear hear!!. First impressions are usually correct, free of corruption and close to the heart, cherish them. Now, assuming a typical basenoter's progression - in a few weeks time young madgradx will be seduced by the dark side and turn against the house of creed. Corrupted throughly, using affectation and misplaced hyperbole, madgradx will denounce Creed as merely one-of-the-thousands designer houses, turn fashionable and start wearing dark, feminine and strange smelling fragrances thus losing touch with all that was pure and genuine in him. [smiley=grin.gif] [smiley=grin.gif]
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

lmao sentient, I can already feel the culling in me, a dark power is compelling me to wear a fragrance that will allow me to describe it is "a moor covered by a rolling fog, mixed with roses and the regret of childhood lost"

The bit of backlash I see against Creed intrigues me, especially those complaining that the scents aren't worth 180 dollars. I agree, that's why I paid 60 For that price, it's a damn fine fragrance!

Tried every one of them, didn't care for a one. Overpriced, stuffy, very close to boring, and an odd, "tinny," "metallic" note running through everyone of them. They all smell like medicine to me.

For anyone interested I have a full, smaller bottle of IM, or MI, or whatever, for trade.

Update: My female coworkers loved the smell of Himalaya so much they bought a bottle for their husband!

I should get a marketing kickback from Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    Tried every one of them, didn't care for a one. Overpriced, stuffy, very close to boring, and an odd, "tinny," "metallic" note running through everyone of them.
    I agree. My Creed experience was thoroughly disappointing.

Serge Lutens is a more modern niche and the quality surpass Creed...

Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    lmao sentient, I can already feel the culling in me, a dark power is compelling me to wear a fragrance that will allow me to describe it is "a moor covered by a rolling fog, mixed with roses and the regret of childhood lost"
    aha! seems like the depressing l'artisan voleur de roses is calling you...madgradrx, your name isn't heathcliff by any chance??

I'm always amused by the tendency in human nature to want to say 'A' is better than 'B'. I think there is room in the world for both serge lutens and creed. just be thankful for the variety. any scent is overpriced if you don't enjoy it and worth every penny if you derive pleasure from it.

AZTEC

Hahha I've actually ordered Voleur de Roses, I need something to wear when it's raining and I'm walking around all angsty in a trechcoat