Code of Conduct

Default I have Nombre Noir :)

* * After reading Luca Turin's Emperor of Scent I was both skeptical and extremely curious about this scent that he raved about. *I couldn't find this anywhere except the occasional ebay auctions that I always managed to lose. *I was able to score a few minis that have been very well stored and never touched. *My heart was beating fast as I received my Nombre Noir package and ran to my apt to try this one out.
    * *First the box is really classy looking, all black with a lighter black border on it with the words Nombre Noir in the center. *Next came the bottle. A small octagonal shaped clear bottle with a black cap, simplistic yet elegant. *At last I had my Noir! *Heart pumping fast I carefully unscrewed the cap making sure I didn't spill any, I took a slow whiff. *Oh Nombre tell me more! Is that *flowers I smell? *What a wonderful osmanthus. *Wait this isn't just flowers and its not entirely feminine. *Another deeper whiff and it hits me., the slight woodiness of this fragrance. *Ok I must learn more. *I dab the tiniest amount on my wrist and sniff and sniff and sniff. *Now I get it! *The flowers, the woods, the prunes hiding in the corner. *This doesn't smell totally natural though, I know this has synthetics in it too but its something I've never smelled before, must be the hediones and damascones. *
    * *I heard that this was discontinued because some of the ingredients in this were allergens and are no longer used. *What a shame as this truly is a great perfume, something that can't be smelled anymore except in these small quantities that still exist. *I wish this could come back and be reintroduced. *I don't even know if I could have someone like DSH reproduce this one. *Another example of true perfume genius disappearing into oblivion.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: I have Nombre Noir :)

The delight in a perfume seems often proportional to rarity and price one may have to pay to acquire it. This one does sound quite good nonetheless. Nice score!

C

"What a wonderful osmanthus."

[smiley=lolk.gif]

Iíve heard from many people that this is a rather overrated fragrance. Nowhere near worth the price that people are actually paying.

Iíve never tried it though. If I ever get my hands on a bottle, Iíll definitely review it, but until then, itís an absurdly overpriced fragrance.

AZ:

After a long absence, it seems that Luca Turin was able to get his hands on another bottle of the stuff. He discusses the experience on his blog

http://lucaturin.typepad.com/perfume.../06/index.html

in a June 5, 2005 entry called "An Old Flame". As usual, his words delight: "Had this perfume spoken, ... it would not have said: 'Give me to your girlfriend' but 'Ditch her now and run off with me'."

May God reserve a special and anosmic place in hell for the allergen police!

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    Iíve heard from many people that this is a rather overrated fragrance. Nowhere near worth the price that people are actually paying.

Iíve never tried it though. If I ever get my hands on a bottle, Iíll definitely review it, but until then, itís an absurdly overpriced fragrance.

A friend of mine and myself refer to this as the "M Butterfly" effect. When this play was about to open in NYC back in the 80's the hype drove ticket sales through the roof and it was hard to get a seat for any performance. Our friends who were lucky to see it during previews pulled out all the hyperbolic stops in their effusive praise of the play... "Oh, it will change your life..." "It's the best thing I have EVER seen..." "M Butterfly is a monument to western civilization..." etc etc. When I finally was able to finagle a ticket, I was nearly climbing out of my skin with anticipation....

It was eh... ok. Interesting. Fun. Provocative... Masterful perhaps but "great?" Hardly. I had been "hyped" to such a point that poor B.D. Wong's and John Lithgow's excellent performances in David Henry Hwang's terrific play could NEVER rise to the expecations that were created. Oh well.

The thing almost never matches the hype. Maybe that's what is in play with Nombre Noir. Maybe because it is nearly impossible to obtain any, it has reached mythic status. Maybe, becauise it is unattainable, it grows in reputation way beyond its actually quality.

Maybe.

All I know is, you can have MY treasured stash of Nombre Noir when you peel it out of my cold dead fingers.

Griff

Griff
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    Iíve heard from many people that this is a rather overrated fragrance. Nowhere near worth the price that people are actually paying. *

A fragrance is worth however much someone is willing to pay for it. You're saying its overpriced since you never tried it. If someone has tried it already and love it then its not overpriced for them. I think the high price comes from its rarity and beauty rather than its beauty alone. This is true fro any fragrance. Are Clives and Amouages and MPGs etc worth the price or are we willing to pay that much due to the exclusivity?
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I heard that this was discontinued because some of the ingredients in this were allergens and are no longer used. What a shame as this truly is a great perfume, something that can't be smelled anymore except in these small quantities that still exist. I wish this could come back and be reintroduced.
    I got all butch today and caulked some cracks in my apartment wall.

I quote from the tube of caulk: "May cause eye, skin and respiratory irritation, or allergic skin reaction. Warning: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects or other reproductive harm."

So of course I went ahead and used it. I smeared it with my finger like my home repair book says you're supposed to. I'm breathing the (slightly irritating) fumes right now. And of course there are guys (and girls) who use this stuff every day. They probably smoke while they're doing it.

So why, why can't we have our 'fumes that are just a little bad for us? Why can't they just label it if they have to and let us make up our own minds? Heck, they could put a huge skull 'n' crossbones on the label - make that the logo - it would probably sell like hotcakes.

Possible titles for 'fumes made entirely of slightly poisonous ingredients:

BAD4U
    TOXIC
    MORTALITY
    PETIT MORT
    BRIEF LIVES (little homage to Neil Gaiman)
    POISON (oh sorry that one's already taken)

hey Griff what was the name you came up with for your wyrmwood scent? your vapors of the goddess Artemisia?

Quote Originally Posted by ExianNYC
    hey Griff what was the name you came up with for your wyrmwood scent? your vapors of the goddess Artemisia?
    Obscure (as The Obscure Object of Desire)

I aint had no time for creatin' it yet. Maybe later this year. Or maybe never. How appropriate would THAT be!

G
    Griff