Code of Conduct

Default Popularity - Czech & Speake

Is there any reason why Czech & Speake fragrances are so hard to come by? For example, at the present moment there isn't even one US retailer that carries No.88 (Cambridge Chemist is awaiting shipment) - the company is apparently experiencing a shortage (supply vs. demand issues?)

What do all of you think about their products in general? Are you impressed w/ the quality? Sillage? Are these products at the same quality level as niche fragrances? (MPG, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan) Over the past few months I've purchased fr a few British fragrance houses and have been impressed (ie Penhaligon's Castile & Blenhiem Bouquet, Trumper's Sandalwood -- and now awaiting 2 order fr Floris)

I'd appreciate any comments on:

1. No.88
    2. Dark Rose & Rose - how does this compare to Voleur de Roses?
    3. Cuba - any resemblance to Vintage Tabarome, Tabarome Millesime, or other tobacco scents?
    4. Oxford & Cambridge - primarily a lavender scent
    5. Neroli - apparently a very popular C&S scent - anything here like Creed's Neroli?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Popularity - Czech & Speake

I found #88 really, really difficult to wear, though I know I'm in the minority.

It was a quality, well made scent with good silage and longetivity, but there was something about it that I found oppressively "heavy" to the point of almost being nauseating. I ended up giving away my decant.

Like you, though, I am interested in the others.

They have always been hard to find and expensive, at least here in the States. #88 is the hardest to find.
    Cuba is similar to Aramis Havana is some ways but has an added freshness and goes a bit deeper with the tobacco. Excellent, quality scent.
    Neroli is seemingly singular/linear but it seems to me to be a truer neroli than most others and it has excellent lasting power.
    Dark Rose is a dirty rose scent that is a tiny bit soapy. It is not too complex but it is satisfying in it's own way.
    Definitely unisex to my nose.

Haven't tried the others you mention but Citrus Paradisi is an extremely worthy citrus scent. Grapefruit blended with other citrus and a nice warm, sensual dry down. Don't let the "sweat" note from the sulpherous grapefruit put you off. It goes away and you are left with a great dry down.
    #88 is in a class by itself.
    These scents with the possible exception of #88 are made in Italy for Czech & Speake and that surprised me but honestly, they are more "avant garde" than most British scents so that might just make sense.

Eric

I have total respect for Czech & Speake, a company that I can comfortably designate as being niche or artisanal (pick your choice).

#88 is my treasure island fragrance, I'm deeply in love with it, nothing else can compare. I just love the way the otto rose is fused with bergamot in its top notes. The scent is truly regal, old fashioned but modern. This is true elegance.

As for the Neroli, the highlight for me is the bitter orange which creates a very refreshing slant to the fragrance. Its simply the best Neroli IMHO.

Quality control may have something to do with their rarity. IMHO Czech & Speake is the best fragrance house in Britain period....

Let your nose be your pilot

All their fragrance are very classy and distinguished. I totally agree that their quality control is second to none. The only thing that makes it difficult to find their products is because they don't advertise their products outside the UK, therefore they remained unknown thus making demands for it minimal.

I registered on the UK Czech & Speake site Friday night and ordered the full set of samples, which are only £2.50 with free postage. They should be with me today, so I can't wait to try this range.
    I have sampled Citrus Paradisi last year and I think I liked it but it didn't last long on me, but hopefully there will be one or more from this range I will like.

C&S are even pretty difficult to find on UK high streets!

They're pretty unique amongst designers and perfumeries in that, for all intents and purposes, they're a bathroom fixtures and fittings shop. I think they stumbled into fragrances almost by accident - the official website doesn't really say too much, but they are very definitely an afterthought following the furniture.

I'm a big fan of C&S, but what puts a lot of people off is the "C&S shit accord" which appears, as far as I know, in every single one of their frags. On some people this note is particularly strong and at its strongest in Cuba, 88 and Mimosa, and those that pick up on it struggle to get past it and pick up anything else (logical seeing as how, to them, it smells like they're wearing feaces). But on others, like me, it doesn't come out at all and their frags are very pleasant indeed and reek of nothing more than high quality. They are a very definite try-before-you-buy house, because if you are one of the unfortunates to get nothing but poo, then it'll be an expensive way to find out what it smells like when someone takes a dump on you!

I like nearly all the C&S frags I've tried (I got their sample pack, which is definitely worthwhile as noted upthread). The only one I own is #88, which I love. As great_badir notes, C&S perfumes do seem to be "dirtier" than most other English frags, but in the greater order of things, I don't think they're nearly as skanky as a lot of French/continental scents. Then again, I don't mind skank.

Just 'cause they haven't been mentioned much upthread, I want to put in a good word for Oxford & Cambridge and Frankincense & Myrrh. The former is particularly good: a very herbal (minty, in fact) lavender.

Like Knize, C&S does seem to be underserving their U.S. demand (though perhaps some of the demand is generated by the very difficulty of finding them). In the case of C&S, I've always thought that their products would fit right in at the host of e-tailers that seem to have a specialty in English toiletries, like Barclay Crocker for example.
    Last edited by PhinClio; 29th March 2010 at 06:18 PM.

Took me a second to realize that this is a five year old thread.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Thumbs down Re: Popularity - Czech & Speake

im a huge fan of no.88 and i also like dark rose and citrus paradisi. However the sample for no.88 they sent me was very weak and i almost didnt buy it. However a thread at the time, regarding the free sample pack, convinced me the bottle would be much stronger. They were right it was, a different beast altogether actually so bear this in mind if the sample's longevity gives you pause for thought.
    Last edited by rivers; 30th March 2010 at 11:36 PM.

Thumbs down Re: Popularity - Czech & Speake

im a huge fan of no.88 and i also like dark rose and citrus paradisi. However the sample for no.88 they sent me was very weak and i almost didnt buy it. However a thread at the time, regarding the free sample pack, convinced me the bottle would be much stronger. They were right it was, a different beast altogether actually so bear this in mind if the samples longevity gives you pause for thought.

Czech&Speake as a fragrance house was apparently more or less an Italian creation (much of the later fragrance and packaging design as well as the entire production took place in Milano) and sold hugely there through an effective distribution network. Also there's a strong Anglophile tradition in Italy in men's grooming and clothing. It never won a significant market anywhere else and when C&S dissolved its partnership with Forester Milano several years ago they were in fact unable to produce the entire line for some time, since they didn't have access to the later formulas. That and the lower quality of the ingredients is why the new Made in England C&S perfumes are sometimes markedly different - and also inferior. 88 is still good but the floral component has changed dramatically, while F&M and Dark Rose are now simply disappointing.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Well the samples arrived and other than Citrus Paradisi which doesn't last long but smells reasonable, the rest......... yuk! The women's didn't go down well either. It's a case of you either love or hate these.

I just got my sample pack of C&S last night. 8 of the 9 are revolting. Oxford and Cambridge is the only servicable fragrance from their line. And that one isnt worth $100 a bottle to me. All of the frags seem to have something running through them. It's like a dark insense scent that I cant get past. Reminds me of what dead grandma is wearing at her own funeral. Do not, I repeat, do not blind buy from this house.

On the other hand, Geo F. Trumper is still producing excellent things.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I just got my sample pack of C&S last night. 8 of the 9 are revolting. Oxford and Cambridge is the only servicable fragrance from their line. And that one isnt worth $100 a bottle to me. All of the frags seem to have something running through them. It's like a dark insense scent that I cant get past. Reminds me of what dead grandma is wearing at her own funeral. Do not, I repeat, do not blind buy from this house.
    Same thing I noticed, there's certainly a nasty note that is present in them all. They smell far cheaper than what they retail at

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Same thing I noticed, there's certainly a nasty note that is present in them all. They smell far cheaper than what they retail at
    Oh for sure. My wife and I both agreed that better smells can be had at a pharmacy store dollar bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Well the samples arrived and other than Citrus Paradisi which doesn't last long but smells reasonable, the rest......... yuk! The women's didn't go down well either. It's a case of you either love or hate these.
    Interesting. I like a number of Czech & Speakes ( No. 88 and Dark Rose especially ), but find Citrus Paradisi to not just be the worst of the line, but one of most unpleasant fragrances ever ( acidic sulfur! )

As others have said, this is definitely a try before you buy line...

Oh for sure. My wife and I both agreed that better smells can be had at a pharmacy store dollar bin.
    I'd love to be able to find a No. 88 smell-alike in drug-store bin! Open to a cheapie if anyone knows one.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I'd love to be able to find a No. 88 smell-alike in drug-store bin! Open to a cheapie if anyone knows one.
    A friend of mine owned a bottle of Night Cologne by Playboy and not only is it a cheap knockoff of No.88, the bottels are identical. Same frosted black bottle and imprint. Very hard to find a bottle (think it's discontinued) but I think it sold for $20 bucks a couple years ago. I don't know this for sure, just a theory...but I don't doubt Hugh Hefner wears No. 88 (seems like something he'd wear/like) and decided to replicate it for one of his own scents.

http://www.promo-wholesale.com/china...ray-165551.htm
    Last edited by nsamadi; 27th April 2010 at 08:42 PM.

i love Oxford & Cambridge, excellent lavender fragrance
    "Nothing breaks up a team faster than.. Herpes"

-- Top --
    (1) Guerlain Tonka Imperiale (2) Creed Millesime Imperial
    (3) Creed Silver Mountain Water (4) Creed Aventus
    (5) Creed Green Irish Tweed (6) Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Malt
    (7) Amouage Reflection Man

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Pretty easy actually.

1. Pick up a sampler of Preferred Stock.
    2. Find a dead body lying in a pile of roses.
    3. Spray fragrance on and then snuggle with the corpse.

Voila. No.88

Pretty easy actually.

1. Pick up a sampler of Preferred Stock.
    2. Find a dead body lying in a pile of roses.
    3. Spray fragrance on and then snuggle with the corpse.

Voila. No.88

If the body's been embalmed, you get Aromatics Elixir...

Just as an aside.

The drydown to #88 is almost identical to the drydown of ToBS Sandalwood Cologne.

Just thought I'd mention that.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by vonMises View Post
    On the other hand, Geo F. Trumper is still producing excellent things.
    You mean Skye? Trumper hasn't done anything worthwhile in years, while their main stock (i.e., shaving creams) are also degrading in quality..
    -

No 88

Sur la Plage

I really like the Czech and Speake line. They actually make fragrances for people who like fragrances - not fresh, boring, watered-down AdG clones/variations.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I really like the Czech and Speake line. They actually make fragrances for people who like fragrances - not fresh, boring, watered-down AdG clones/variations.
    I like Czech & Speake as well. No.88 has a permanent place in my top five.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

agreed. 88 is far from any sort of big deal. it smells like an old medicinal rose-filled toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I suppose my nose just sucks then....

I suppose my nose just sucks then....
    if it was $20 a bottle instead of $100, it wouldn't be near as popular on here.

****MPG santal noble and most creeds are worth every penny
    Last edited by dogsinatub; 28th April 2010 at 04:30 AM.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    if it was $20 a bottle instead of $100, it wouldn't be near as popular on here.

****MPG santal noble and most creeds are worth every penny
    I know I personally would be happy with a $20 bottle of Rive Gauche pour Homme or Azzaro pour Homme.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 28th April 2010 at 05:14 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Piles of dog crap has tons of character...doesnt mean I want to lather my face with it.

I am enjoying 88 and o&c so far.

Quote Originally Posted by raptor View Post
    What do all of you think about their products in general? Are you impressed w/ the quality?
    IMO mediocre. As for being impressed - Not really. However, others will have much more favorable and positive opinions.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I think it's a good line. Citrus Paradisi is overrated, but the Roses are excellent, and Cuba is wonderful.

You can get the scents from C&S's web site. What else is needed?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 22nd November 2011 at 03:51 PM.

AromiErotici

Dark Rose is good enough to be in my wardrobe. Excellent scent.

Have to chime in here.
    I just got my Cuba yesterday and I think this is as good as it gets.
    I dont think there will be a frag in this genre that is superior.
    Bear in mind, I have come back to this after sampling it 2 years ago, sampling more and more until finally giving in.

Keeping samples around somtimes DOES pay off
    Smellin good

I think no88, Cuba, Oxford & Cambridge and Frankincense & Myrrh are all really good character rich scents. I honestly don't know how anyone can call them mediocre.

I absolutely love Cuba, I could quite happily bathe in the stuff.

I quite like most of the line.
    I would especially emphasize the delicious treatment of lavender, bergamot and peppermint trio in many of them , give´em that subtle floral and citrus smell , yet masculine.
    Dark Rose, Frankincense & Myrrh and Nº88 are excellents.
    The rest is also very interesting.
    The only objection is the low projection of many of his works
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Czech & Speake is one of the few houses (Acqua di Parma being the other one) from which I have enjoyd pretty much everything I have sampled. I own Cuba and Citrus Paradisi and these are among my absolute favourites, I also love (and would like to own) Neroli and O&C.

Czech & Speake has a new scent out btw named Vetiver Vert - would like to sample this.

Never could get past the "dirty" or foul note in Cuba, which means I simply dont like the frag.

But I Looooooooove 88, own and really like the easy to wear Neroli, and Oxford and Cambridge might be my favorite Lavender of them all.

Love the house.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    IMO mediocre. As for being impressed - Not really. However, others will have much more favorable and positive opinions.
    Agree

In my country, it's quite hard to come by this house too, which makes my urge to test all of their fragrances (with the exception of Frankincense & Myrrh) even the more difficult to satisfy

My inventory avatar says it all.

For a U.S. retailer, try Avery Fine Perfumery's branch in New Orleans. Their website is a disaster, so calling on the phone would be best, I think.