Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Default Great stuff in the lower price range

I LOVE smelling good, but @ this point in my life I can't afford the higher end fragrances. Right now my collection consists of fragrances in the $20-$40 range for 1.7 oz (this is the standard size I buy). I'm younger & don't make much money, & I'm almost positively sure you ALL have been in the same situation before. What were some of your favorite fragrances when you were on a limited income?
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Default Re: Great stuff in the lower price range

Go to the sell/swap page here at Basenotes and shop Ebay. You can find a lot of wonderful things without ever paying retail.

CologneJunkie,

It is completely feasible to smell great with high end fragrances on a limited budget. The answer? Decants! Just check out the swap board! I've swapped and purchased decants with many veteran Basenoters. I'm not sure if my post there is up to date, but If you see something in my wardrobe you want as a decant, simply send me a PM.

Blog Entries

Oooohhh guys...don't tempt me!!! [smiley=evil.gif]

I agree with Octothorpe - decants are the way to go. For a very reasonable investment you can own many of the best fragrances out there. I would be happy to work out a very fair price for items from my swap list to get you started.

Hey CJ, and welcome.

It isn't hard to get great things in a reasonable price range. Nearly everything in my wardrobe is in the price range you describe, especially if you look around online at places like perfumebay.com and perfumedistributor.com.

The offers of decants from people here are also great. Don't be scared to work something out with these guys.

Just asking, are you female, as your profile says? and/or, do you prefer "men's" fragrances, by which I merely mean, the fragrances that men on this board like to wear? Either is fine with me. But most people on this board are guys, albeit guys with a very broad range of tastes.

Thanks. Great information. Like CJ I'm on a tight budget, but for other reasons. I'm still scrambling to recover from a lay-off (ouch), but still every- so- often amidst the scrambling there's a need to treat myself to something nice. I have found a couple of great deals at Marshalls (Tsar for 14 bucks) and online (Aramais Havana Reserva for twenty-something).

Unfortunately, many of the (niche)scents I read about and am dreaming of are out of my price range. (Though I am looking for some moderate price colognes as well:
    Live Jazz, Perry M, Givenchy Gentleman, Gueraine Habit (?) or Heritage...)

I'm going to start hanging out around the swap/sell page and see if I get lucky.
    See ya there-

I'll echo the sentiments already expressed here. First, never pay retail price. Look on ebay, go to scentiments or perfumebay, and don't be afraid to buy a tester. For instance, I just got a brand new creed tester of Himalaya for 60bucks. The same size would be 180.00 retail, so this was a great deal. Save your money a bit and don't buy a ton of 20-40 full price scents, get a select few on sale for a little more.

Look around at discount stores like Filene, Nordstrom Rack, TC Max, etc. You'll often find insanely good deal there.

Yes, decants are the way too go. I mean why buy a creed for 180.00 retail when you can buy a good size decant of almost any creed for that 20-40 dollar price range your looking for.

Also here are some good Fragrance is that price range. Depending where you live, prices might be a little different but I can get these at a great price:

D&G pour homme
    YSL M7
    Swiss Army
    Angel Men

Blog Entries

Thank you for all your advice! I'll definitely have to look into the swapping thing.

Exian - Yes, I'm a female who prefers men's fragrances. Of course I don't like anything too "macho", but I really enjoy fresh & clean men's fragrances (i.e. Happy & Reaction). I've also recently purchaced a small bottle of D&G Homme & I'm TOTALLY in love w/ it. I do like some female's fragrances (I really like the women's version of KC Black), but most of them just give me a headache anymore.

Rapscallion - I'm in the exact boat as you are. I was laid off around 3 months ago & I just got a job offer yesterday & I'm SO excited. Good luck in your job search!

Hi CJ,

Welcome to the MADNESS! CJ, check out my thread on " MUST HAVE AND/OR TRY CLASSIC FRAGRANCES". This thread has a LOT of excellent suggestions from fellow BN members! Believe me, I can relate to your situation about lack of funds. Heck...(aside from DECANTS) you can purchase a LARGE bottle of FRAGONARD ZIZANIE at Scentiments.com for less than $18.00 (plus shipping). A VERY fine fragrance to be sure! Ooooh...GUERLAIN HABIT ROUGE can be purchased for about $25.00 a LARGE bottle. This is just the TIP of the Iceberg! LOTS of goodies that are NOT too expensive! Good luck.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Certainly, decants are one way to go. E-Bay has some amazing sellers for niche decants. (newsuvshopping, dragonfly,LiquidArt and LisaLaw are four that instantly come to mind.) Basenotes has the amazing sale/swap board and many here sell decants. These guys are all top notch, don't hesitate here.
    www.parfum1.com has the best prices and great service. Guerlain's Coriolan can be had for $11.95 for a 1.7oz bottle, L'Anarchiste is $17.95 for a 1.7oz and several others mentioned frequently here are similarly priced. YSL Pour Homme Concentree, Paco Rabanne,Kingdom,Yatagan, etc. Scentiments.com, PerfumeBay.com, Scentedmonkey.com, Fragrancehut.com, 99perfume.com and certainly others have amazing deals. A little bit of research and you'll be set. You can find many higher end niche and designer scents for much less than you think if you research the above and try some decants.

Regards, Eric

I'm on a super-tight budget as well. I agree with the previous posters.

1. You can find great deals on the swap boards. Evryone I've bought from or traded with has been a pleasure to deal with.

2. Definitely check TJ Maxx, Ross, Marshalls, etc. I've found some insanely good deals there.

3. Definitely shop online.

4. Depending on where you live you may be able to find good deals at mom & pop stores. For example, around Miami I've found a few small stores that sell lots of discontinued scents for phenomenal prices.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Hi CJ:
    Good luck with the job offer [smiley=thumbsup.gif] three months isn't too bad.
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. The resumes are still being sent weekly.
    I may not have the job I want, but thanks to all the wonderful Basenoters
    I'll certainly smell good.
    [smiley=smiley.gif]

K.