Code of Conduct

Default How do YOU organize your fragrances?

Guys,

I just got so tired of looking at over 200 bottles and trying to find what's appropriate to wear that I finally decided to do something about it.
    I am sure I'm not the only one who's been confronted by this dilemma: An efficient way of organizing my fragrances.
    Here is a list of the choices that seem reasonable:

#1 Organize them based on the manufactuer/perfumer
    #2 Group the fragrances based on a particular (appropriate) season (summer, winter, etc.)
    #3 Group them according to the mood they put you in
    #4 Group them according to the 'type' of fragrance (oriental, citrus, etc.)

Keep in mind that each of these structures will result in a vastly different bottle placement.

Thanks.

godzilla

Default Re: How do YOU organize your fragrances?

I need to get myself organized too. Among the choices, #4 seemed best to me. Once you know what mood you are in, then you know what section of the wardrobe is most appealing to you.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I organize them randomly
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I organize them randomly
    me too!

try displaying shorter bottle in front of larger bottle so you can see them all. Look around and if something fancies you, them spray it.

Mine have taken over almost a whole shelf of the fridge.

Current favorites to the right, less favored to the left. Seasonally inappropriate ones move toward the back.

A somewhat semicircular arrangement, if you have room, with taller bottles toward the back, minimizes knocking over bottles when you reach for the one you want.

I organize according to #4, but with only forty or so scents, it's not too much of a problem.

S.

I organize by house. Thats the ONLY way that could ever work for me.

I don't have nearly as many as you but I have two shelves in my closet devoted to the best smelling liquids ever. I do my organizing in a seasonal manner. I put winter frags in the back and move the summer ones up when the weather changes. I can still see everything but I'm more likely to use the summer ones now so I have them at closer range. Thats just my way though....

Russell

Mine are in no particular order. It's just that the order, or dresser drawer, that they ARE in never changes. I access them so frequently that I can basically picture in my mind where they are. Thus, when I decide what my SOTD will be, I say to myself "Third drawer,front" or "First drawer,rear" and so on. Works for me.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I organize them randomly

AZ aren't you a psych resident??!!! Hmmmmm, very well adjusted.....
    I gotta do it by house. It's gotta be by house. Anal retentive???

I used to do #4 but now I do #2. It's so convenient to get up and look outside, watch the weather report and then choose a row (I have mine separated by rows) and pick one from the row.

Organize my scents?

They organize me.

Griff
    Griff

MJH

I organize mine by House and manufacturer. I have little "House Alliances" in my head: Tiffany and Ungaro go into the Chanel drawer, for example. Aramis and Estee Lauder go together, as do Patou and Lacoste. Caron and Guerlain each get their own drawers. Pure parfums are kept separate (in a leather stationery box).

My method is not mentioned--alphabetically, per the name of the manufacturer. "C" for Creeds, "G" for Guerlains, etc.

seasonal.favorites move to the front.

#3 Group them according to the mood they put you in

That seems to be the best choice for me

I organise them by the H&R Chart and keep them in drawers in my bedroom to protect them from heat and light.
    So one drawer has leathery chypres(next to the underwear), one fresh fougeres (next to the socks), one ambery orientals (next to my cold weather underwear), one spicy orientals and woody fougeres (nothing much in that drawer), one fresh chypres (next to jumpers), one ambery fougeres (next to jumpers) and I have a bottom drawer where I keep all sorts that I think don't last long enough.
    Renato

I arrange mine by fragrance house. To me, this is the most aesthetically pleasing.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm a female who wears both perfume & cologne. I have my colognes & perfumes seperated, & then have two "clusters" according to the seasons (warm vs. cool). Then among the clusters they're organized according to the appropriate time to wear them (day, night, formal, office, etc).
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Randomly.

Como pueda colocarlas en el armario.

I am with AZ in celebrating the virtues of randomness, except that without any extra work seasonal favorites do tend to move to the top of the box, as in MuscleGod's system. Actually, there is one other layer of organization. A few less favored bottles I keep in a box in the back of a basement closet. On the box, I have affixed the following label:

BIOHAZARD!
    Do Not Open
    Qualified personnel only
    (This means Dad)
    Nature of Hazard: STENCH!

Except for the line about Dad, I have a similar box in the lab for a few select chemicals like butyl mercaptan and some putrecine and cadaverine that one of my former grad students bought for a party gag.

Tall bottles on the left, getting smaller towards the middle, then taller again towards the right. I have less than 20, so they fit on my dresser.

The bathroom shelf holds the bath products while the closet holds the extras and those on the swap list.

I also organize them by house. My favourite houses move to the front. That's the only way I can imagine for myself.

I organize according to #2. Current season in front.

Quote Originally Posted by Prof_S
    I have a similar box in the lab for a few select chemicals like butyl mercaptan and some putrecine and cadaverine that one of my former grad students bought for a party gag.
    Cor!!!! What was the gag?

It is an utter wreck. Some in a crate next to my bed; some in a box designated FSOT. Some in my closet; some on my bureau; some in a scavenged octangular cabinet.
    Oi!
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Damian:

I was afraid to ask. I'm just quoting the explanation I got when I asked about some odd-looking items on an invoice I was expected to sign. The young man was actually a pretty discerning shopper. The invoice also listed tiny bottles of indole and skatole (which put the stink on poo) that never showed up on the shelves in my lab, so I guess he found them more hilarious and kept them and left me with the two amines, which are not quite as horrific as their names suggest.