Code of Conduct

Default Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka

Anybody tried that? The name alone can make me buy it.............!

Mic.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hermèssence Vétiver Tonka

It is simply wonderful and the best of the current 4 Hermessence offerings - an amazing tonka/vanilla note blended craftily with a subtle yet slightly-spicy vetiver. Almost gourmand in nature. There is a hint of citrus woven throughout the scent and though I'm unsure of its actual presence, I also detect a subtle hint of anise. Whereas, say, Lutens' Vetiver Oriental is quite thick and heavy (and I love it ), this is much lighter and fresher, and much mroe subtle. The Hermes reminds me ever so slightly of Lempicka for Men's summer scent, but with an accent on vetiver.

marlen

Post Thanks / Like

It's foody/gourmand vétiver.

I really like VT. The tonka gives it a fairly sweet, vanilla like scent, but to me it does not smell foody. I typically do not like anything sweet, heavy or vanilla, but in this scent the sweetness of the tonka is perfectly balanced with the herbal spiciness of the vetiver. When I'm wearing this I get sometimes a whiff of sweetness, sometimes the vetiver with a little citrus or herbs. Quite intriguing.
    The ability to put together two notes that seem to be opposites of each other and make it work is really an achievement. Well worth sampling.

VT is a sweet and heavy vetiver. The opening is standard citrus of Neroli, Bergamot think of Guerlain's vetiver's opening. Then the complexity arrives in stages - first comes the hazelnut, then comes a dried fruity smell and finally the Tonka bean smell. The result of the later sweeter stages is a foody sweetness, very nice. The vetiver exists throughout the scent's duration and the licorish, green aroma comes in and out beautifully. The caveat is that it will be difficult to pull off in warmer times. Perfect for colder times.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
    -- Marcel Proust

I wear this one. It almost goes too far into "gourmand land" for my tastes, but what saves it isthe nice citrus notes and that touch of very refined Hermes leather. It lasts well and the dry vetiver and gooey tonka are well balanced, which seems like quite a feat in itself. I remember reading the name and thinking, "Oh...this will be gross. This won't work." Somehow it does and it's wonderful. haha