Code of Conduct

Default 'No Giorgio', 'Pas de Poison' signs

I'm impressed and often intimidated by the vast amount of knowledge displayed in BN posts. Could you please help ? I've been intrigued by a rumour that 'No Giorgio' signs could once be seen outside some restaurants. The same is said to apply to Poison. Was this an urban legend ? A joke on the chefs' part ? Did you actually see any of those signs, or more recent, related examples of perfume bans ? I'd be grateful if you could share first- or second-hand anecdotes. Sheer curiosity. Thanks.

Default Re: 'No Giorgio', 'Pas de Poison' signs

Quote Originally Posted by garrigue3
    I'm impressed and often intimidated by the vast amount of knowledge displayed in BN posts. Could you please help ? I've been intrigued by a rumour that 'No Giorgio' signs could once be seen outside some restaurants. The same is said to apply to Poison. Was this an urban legend ? A joke on the chefs' part ? Did you actually see any of those signs, or more recent, related examples of perfume bans ? I'd be grateful if you could share first- or second-hand anecdotes. Sheer curiosity. Thanks.

No, it was true there were restaurants...five star one's to be exact that aloud no Giorgio to be worn. Its true how can you savor a nice meal on your taste buds when all you can smell is Giorgio attacking your nostrils...

I don't know how Giorgio for women is now I sure it has been cut in power to last in todays market but back in the early 80's it reeked...if you think Joop is strong Giorgio for women was ten times the power.

Back in high school every girl took a bath in her mothers Giorgio ...Home room was killer back in those days. [smiley=shocked.gif]

This could make for an interesting separate thread (or one contained within this thread):

"No ________(fill in the blank)" signs which should be posted everywhere (or pick your spot).

Or not.

Aaron

Thanks for the references to Giorgio folklore. Actually, I recently visited Parfumerie Galimard in Grasse (France)and stepped into the perfume equivalent of total chaos, to an extent I'd never experienced before. For some well-meaning reasons, the sales assistants had sprayed a thick fog of different fragrances everywhere, and/or the shoppers had volunteed to add to the general confusion. (I fled.)
    I dislike bans, but, as with smoking and non-smoking areas, an obvious candidate would be one of our local best-sellers. The sign here could read : 'This is a Le Mâle-free area.'
    Actually I don't know why those real-life signs never targeted colognes. Perhaps it is assumed that gentlemen pay the bill.

If I had a restaurant it would have a "No Acqua di Gio" sign on the door.

My sign would say that only people wearing fragrances will be served!

Mike's post reminds me of Coco Chanel saying 'A woman who wears no perfume has no future.' Perhaps these days this would apply to guys as well, especially those waiting for their meals to be served.

In the very 'English' boutiques in Cambridge one used to see the 'No Poison' signs in the 80's. That is the only example I can recall.

I agree with Coco and hope the Cambridge businesses got their just reward - bankruptcy!

Trot

Thanks to all for the references. It seems such bans happened in the 1980's, when strong fragrances were not so familiar. Perhaps dissenters then gave up resisting the trend.