Code of Conduct

Default Quick newbie question: Spraying one's neck

I just read a thread where a gent stated that he goes by the two spray rule: One on the chest and one on the back of the neck. I've never heard of anyone spraying the back of their neck with cologne, it this common? Is there a reason behind it? It doesn't seem as though the back of the neck is more vascular than that chest, so it shouldn't project a scent more powerfully.
    I normally go for two sprays on the chest, possibly a third lower on the abdomen if it's a light scent or one that reacts strangely with my body.

Default Re: Quick newbie question: Spraying one's neck

It's so that when you walk, a scent trail is created from the back portion of the neck. Now, the thing is you don't have to do this if you're a regular 8-12 spritz kinda guy coz the scent will trail no matter where you spray, but if you're a 2 spritz guy then, the spritz to the back of the neck should create the sillage you require.

Very interesting. IŽll try it.

I'm a 1 spritz guy [smiley=lolk.gif]
    Yet people can smell what I'm wearing [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    Maybe I'm going to try this out.

But isn't this the same as dabbing behind the ears??

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    I'm a 1 spritz guy [smiley=lolk.gif]
    Yet people can smell what I'm wearing [smiley=cheesy.gif]
    Maybe I'm going to try this out.

But isn't this the same as dabbing behind the ears??
    Yes, when you stand still and someone enters your aromatic space, they will smell you. I'm referring to sillage or leaving a trail behind, after you're gone, like bread crumbs in the fairytale, Hansel and Gretel. Dabbing behind the ears has the same effect, except, with spray bottles, it's kinda hard to "dab" one's ears! [smiley=grin.gif] The simpler thing to do is spray behind your neck.

Well I tried that today with Santos, I'll see if my coworkers note anything different.

Of corse there is a reason behind the spray placement. They are aimed at "hot spots" that are known to release the scent throughout the day. These are: Neck, Chest, Wrists, Inside of Elbows (for me), Behind ears. It all depends on what you want to do and how well you feel these areas work with your colognes.

Test them out and see. I switched my style about 6 times before I got the one I use now. Test it out.

Best of luck...

I tend to go light on fragrance, and as such, find that one spritz to the chest and one to the back of the neck is the perfect combo for most scents. The back of the neck is definitely the spot to go for subtle silliage.

Some scents are two sprays, some are more, and some only require one spray (Issey Miyake) to be effective. Years ago I found that the two spray method with Obsession was perfect and this is also true with such scents as D&G pour homme, Allure homme, Sander for men, Rykiel homme, etc. I do have a three spray method for Polo Blue, 212 men, Very Sexy 2, Azzaro Visit, Claiborne Sport, etc. Finally there are those colognes that 10 sprays may not even be enough---Kenneth Cole Reaction, Versace Metal Jeans, Halston Unbound, A&F Fierce, etc. These are my opinions anyway.

I thought spraying on the nape of the neck was common? I've been doing so for as long as I can remember...
    Let your nose be your pilot

I have found spraying the back of the neck remarkable for increasing a scent's duration ... at least to me.

I'm not sure if it is because some of the scent gets trapped in my hair, or because I detect my own siliage more than if I sprayed something away from my face.

My usual routine now is to spray the back of my knee, two shots to my chest and one shot to my wrist. Perhaps a shot to the back of my neck, depending on the scent.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I always spritz the back of the neck. sometimes only there. It never fails that when I am working with a hot chic in the office she seems to reach past me or lean into me. Bam, she gets a subtle whiff.

it is good when hugging someone also. very tasteful.