Code of Conduct

Default Allergies (not to fragrance) advice?

I'm wondering if anyone here has similar difficulties and if they have any advice on this subject.

My problem is i have allergies to certain things, dust, pollen etc. (not Fragrance, as far as i know...) , somedays very badly, which sometimes, makes it impossible for me to smell anything at all for entire days. On the best days I can smell things perfectly fine, on a good day (most days) it's limited. Of course this presents a problem because I want to be able to smell the 70 dollar chanel i'm wearing or the samples I just got from l'artisan. I went to a doctor when i was younger and nothing came of it. I'm wondering if anyone here battles a similar problem and if there are any medicines you could recomend that work for you.

if this thread belongs elsewhere, mods feel free to move.
    Last edited by dr_adamg; 17th July 2006 at 09:47 PM.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Default Re: Allergies (not to fragrance) advice?

It may not work for everyone, but Claritin-D was a *wonder* drug for me. I've had life-long allergies too, and Claritin completely solved my nasal problems when prescription drugs and shots didn't really help. It's not 100% perfect, as the sinal passages in my cheeks can still feel somewhat "full", but it completely opens up my nose to free breathing (and free smelling!)

some of the inhaled steroids are very effective. also, do try oral drugs again as much progress has been made in the last few years.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I do know about medications, but I do know something about plant allergens.

Many trees and shrubs sold by nurseries are males, and male plants produce pollen. The nursery trade prefers to sell males because they do not produce seeds or pods which "litter" or spawn seedlings. By favoring pollen-producing plants, the nursery trade has unwittingly made fewer female trees/shrubs available to capture circulating pollen (female plants have sticky, positively charged flower parts). If you have any control over your immediate environment, you can reduce the quantity of pollen swirling around you by controlling the sexual activity of your plants.

More info from http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Thanks for the advice everyone, i will definitely look into your suggestions!
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

I had a hardcore addiction to over the counter nasal spray for over ten years. For a while, about five years ago I lost my sense of smell ( I wavered back and forth between having no sense of smell and having an altered sense of smell where everything smelled weird and not right). Taking Claritin and getting off the nasal spray helped and in time, I could smell (and taste foods) normally again.

Still, eventually I went back onto the spray. I tried a lot of different methods of withdrawal and different allergy meds.

Finally, this year my doctor helped me kick it for good. I took some steroid meds and then starting using a non-medicated saline spray... I still use this saline spray, and it helps me breathe freely. I don't have to take any medicines-- just this spray.

This may of may not help you, but this has been MY experience in dealing with my allergy problems.