Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Le Roy Soleil Homme

Hi,

Can anyone of you give me your thoughts about this scent? I've tried the search button but I got no results. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Default Re: Le Roy Soleil Homme

its very sharp with a bitter note...smells very much like a medicine .

its also the weakest lasting scent in the Dali men's portfolio for lasting quality.

It's a clean, somewhat synthetic smelling (but not unpleasantly so), slightly grapefruity citrus, mostly. It was praised here so I checked it out. It only makes sense, for me, when I'm out in the sun on a summer day. Hence, perhaps, its name (the sun king, though I don't know why it's Roy and not Roi, does anybody?). I tried it in early spring and thought it was ridiculous. Combined with the smell of summer sun on skin, though, it's really pretty nice.

And you're not going to wear an $80 scent out in the heat anyway, right? So at about $20, Le Roy Soleil is a great choice for the beach or the boardwalk or the ballgame or other summer destinations.

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled it after reading that smells like a more sophisticated version of Lacoste Booster (which I like ).Indeed,same vein,but I disliked its sour smell.Booster is simpler but better.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Her are a few more positive reviews... Roi rather than Roy no answer there, but I will research it unless some of the
    more learned members explain first.

Le Roy Soleil Homme fragrance notes include:
    Citric Fruits. Notes of toronja, wood-rose of Brazil, bergamot of the Calabria, Egyptian Geranium, essence of neroli, water of jasmine, ozone, cedar and amber. Marcant

"Extremely good. It`s quite unique, very masculine, sensual, long lasting, and also the bottle is fantastic. What more can you expect?
    And by the way: when I bought it, I got great looking wrist-watch with it..."
    by Toni_Ronkonen , 2004/11/04.

"A beautiful creation. Unique. Brilliant. Enticing. Long lasting, great sillage. Quite possibly one of the most pleasing visually and and olfactorily (is that a word? it should be)of any ever created.
    This scent is sunlight falling through a cedar forest. Rich, brown, woody, deep, earthy, full, with a surprising silery topnote, reminiscent of many Etros. "
    by Zhoya , 2004/10/25.

"Breezy, luminous and metallic. Rich and exoitic woods and florals, yet very Euro to me. A top pick when I want something that is neither sweet nor pungent."
    by JRW , USA , 2003/09/03.

"Sexy, classy, easy-to-wear, dynamic, bright, expressive, attractive and long-lasting scent. Not common at all. Possibly the best of all Dali

C
    CG

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ExianNYC
    Hence, perhaps, its name (the sun king, though I don't know why it's Roy and not Roi, does anybody?)..
    "Roy" is an archaic spelling of "Roi". If you look at ancient texts, "the sun king" aka Louis XIV is spelled
    as " *Le Roy Soleil"
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Le Roy Soleil has slowly, steadily, relentlessly become a lynchpin in my scent stable over the years. While always attracted, I was put off a bit initially by the sharpness as it opens, but unlike so many of its contemporaries, a complexity makes this fragrance stand aside from the herd of latter ninties varieties it seems to exemplify.

It is aldehydic, aromatic and woody, the wood being a fine Indian sandal, or chandan, with intriguing florals and spice into the mix. One web review described it as a mad mix of florals, spices, woods and recommended it to those who would want to start the day with an artistic spash of color.

This is the only fragrance I have a backup for.

"Toronja", listed as one of the notes, is the Spanish word for grapefruit.

Luca Turin discussed grapefruit as being a difficult note to use because it's sulfurous. He discusses this point in connection with Guerlain Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune, which also uses a lot of grapefruit. I think that gives it a nice edge, which makes me like it. I like a touch of abrasiveness in a scent.

Compared with Dali Laguna, which is citrusy also but sweet and powdery, I like Le Roy Soleil much better. I know there's been some celebration of Laguna here but maybe I just don't get why.

Thx phantagarow for spelling notes.

I agree with scenthound, this is one a guy can get attached to. There's something very likable and comfortable about this one. Abrasiveness and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Does Le Roy Soleil resemble Creed's Zeste Mandarine Pamplemousse at all? I like that one a lot, but I'd like to find a cheaper alternative. Might LRS be the ticket?
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Post Thanks / Like

Le Roy and Zeste MP are completely different IMO. I have owned Le Roy and still own Zeste MP.

dr.creed's decant sales
    can be found here:
    Crystal Flacon

give me the original Salvador Dali Pour Homme any day! that a work of art! a real sureal scent

Post Thanks / Like

Well i received my bottle today and I was disappointed. *Somehow this reminds me of Creed GIT almost to the exact. *Has anyone experienced this? *Or is it just me and my chemistry?

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    give me the original Salvador Dali Pour Homme any day! that a work of art! a real sureal scent

I tried that one today. It smelled like... hot tar. It is possibly the weirdest scent I've ever smelled. There's something satanic about it.

Scentimus, am I missing something? Has the bottle gone bad maybe? or is this the way it's supposed to smell?

Quote Originally Posted by jimzcali
    Well i received my bottle today and I was disappointed. *Somehow this reminds me of Creed GIT almost to the exact. *Has anyone experienced this? *Or is it just me and my chemistry?
    I would say no. Not a big GIT fan here and other than both being aromatic fougres, I don't see the resemblence. IMO Le Roy Soleil has a Himalaya connection, albeit more conceptually than in the concrete. The persistent cool sharp opening and the pathways of development are shared somewhat but over a period of time LRS is easier wearing and a more casual feel making it a nice everyday alternative to the baroquely intense Himalaya. Sorry to hear you are disappointed though. As I remember, I was as well when I first sniffed it (blind), not being at all what I was expecting, however, it has worked its way to the center of my attention over the years.

I have just noticed that in the Directory there is a difference between Le Roy Soleil and Le Roy Soleil Homme. I didn't even know that. Is this true? I don't even know which one I have. My bottle just says Le Roy Soleil.

I have this and IMO it's not that bad, but I prefer others in the line.

Post Thanks / Like

I like this scents, it's a finely structured and light citrus-fruity-floral accord of almost other-world elegance

Post Thanks / Like

This fragrance is one of my favorites in warm weather. It has a sparkling citrus quality, reminiscent of 1881/Cerruti.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

A great scent. Very dreamy, in a sense, thanks to the very noticeable floral component - primarily jasmine and also some dry and orange-like geranium. Synthetic, but pleasantly so.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Ancient thread. I find this to be bright, creamy and slightly metallic. Rather distinctive. I havent smelled anything quite like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Having worn this all day from a spray bottle rather than a vial, I can give a valid analysis.

Performance - typical of a piece from the 90's; better projection and longevity than most modern releases(not a sillage bomb or a skin scent); noticeable to the wearer for at least 6-8hrs

Smell - Opens similar to Greenergy by Givenchy with emerging floral and fresh middle notes; the base is indeed metallic (nice catch Diamondflame) and woody, smelling most similar to the base of Platinum Egoiste.

Overall, this is an easy-going, soapy, fresh and pleasant cologne. Do I want to own a bottle? I don't feel it has the distinction of a Platinum Egoiste, so I don't feel the motivation to own it beyond the sample vial I already have. Not bad at all though. Really like the grapefruit at the beginning.
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Lancme Hypnse
    Lanvin Avant Garde
    Zegna Intenso
    Dior Homme Intense
    Thierry Mugler Taste of Fragrance
    Prada Amber Intense Pour Homme

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)