Code of Conduct

Default In need of some opinions/advice...

Hello - I am looking to purchase one or two new colognes. I am trying to round off my collection and make it more versatile, I may just get one if it will help. I will make a list of what I am thinking of at the end. Here is what I have now: Pleasures by Estee Lauder, Polo Blue, 212 for Men, Echo by Davidoff, John Varvatos, Floris Santal, Pecksniff's Woody Oriental. I really like to wear the orientals (JV and Santal being my two favorites) but the next two I wear the most since it is summer are 212 and Polo Blue. I am trying to stay away from something that will be too similar. I am not sure if any of these would be to similar to what I already have or not. I am mainly looking for summer, versatile, and daytime wear but of course some listed may be to "heavy" for this purpose. I will be trying most of these out before buying. Any opinions on the following will be much appreciated:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Givenchy Pour Homme
    Givenchy Pour Homme Blue Label
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Live Jazz YSL
    Hanae Mori HM
    Cologne by Thierry Mugler
    Lalique Equus
    Lalique Pour Homme

Thank in Advance,
    JD

Default Re: In need of some opinions/advice...

YSL Live Jazz is my ultimate summer staple, so of course I'd recommend that one for sure. TM Cologne is another good daytime scent, although I tend to reach for Gendarme 20 more often.

For a nighttime summer gourmand, YSL Body Kouros and Hanae Mori (EdT) are both exquisite fragrances.

Good luck!

Caron PuH is a brilliant fragrance. One that changes very much depending on application I find. Go light and it will be a perfect breezy lavender for days on the beach, hit it 6-7 times and the bourbon vanilla steps out big time leaving a brilliant sillage in the warm evening winds prowling the city for fun.

MMM

Of the ten fragrances you have listed the only one I REALLY like is Givenchy pour homme (red bottle). It is different enough from Polo Blue and 212 of which I also own to warrant a purchase. It is fairly inexpensive and long lasting---you may not be able to smell it after 3-4 hours but others will. I have a couple uses left in my 1.7 oz bottle and I'm planning on re-purchasing this scent. Some of the others are OK but aren't any better than the two heavyweights you already own (IMHO).

Hanae Mori is a really nice gourmand fragrance, one that has received many positive comments on this forum ... I think you will really enjoy it ... good luck!

To make some difference from your others, I`d suggest
    Cologne Mugler
    Vetiver Guerlain
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am giong to go tomorrow (Wednesday evening) and look around and see if I can find these fragrances to try. I will wait on the heavier ones until fall. I will definitely try HM, Guerlain Vetiver, Caron, Givenchy, and Live Jazz. I have tried the Cologne before but I am still undecided on it. If anyone else has any opinions please let me know.

Beyond Paradise by Lauder..the driftwood note is gold, with very oceanic white florals, which, seem to lift the scent into the mist of a waterfall.Very highly recommended for summer wear.

I don't know why nobody likes it. I think it's one of the best I've tried. Always get compliments when wearing it. And it's perfect for the summer. I really really like it

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by jdtx3302
    Hello - I am looking to purchase one or two new colognes. I am trying to round off my collection and make it more versatile, I may just get one if it will help. I will make a list of what I am thinking of at the end. Here is what I have now: Pleasures by Estee Lauder, Polo Blue, 212 for Men, Echo by Davidoff, John Varvatos, Floris Santal, Pecksniff's Woody Oriental. I really like to wear the orientals (JV and Santal being my two favorites) but the next two I wear the most since it is summer are 212 and Polo Blue. I am trying to stay away from something that will be too similar. I am not sure if any of these would be to similar to what I already have or not. I am mainly looking for summer, versatile, and daytime wear but of course some listed may be to "heavy" for this purpose. I will be trying most of these out before buying. Any opinions on the following will be much appreciated:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Caron Pour un Homme
    Givenchy Pour Homme
    Michael by Michael Kors
    Live Jazz YSL
    Hanae Mori HM
    Lalique Equus
    Lalique Pour Homme

Thank in Advance,
    JD
    JD,

I personally like Michael a lot and also wear it during the summer heats, but considering what you're looking for i.e. versatile, daytime summer scent, I wouldn't say it's exactly that. Michael is rather dark, heavy in pipe tobacco, patchouli and suede, and very different to 212 and Polo Blue (closer to Varvatos).

H.M. is indeed very nice gourmand fragrance and I wear it the year round. Versatile yes, suitable for daytime wear too, but it is rather sweet - at least as sweet as Varvatos. If that's not a turn off, then my bet is H.M. will be your choice. But if you're looking for a drier, but yet oriental kind of a scent, give Lalique Equus a try! It's hot spicy-woody scent without being sweet - very nice IMHO. Lalique pour homme is sweeter and I find it also a bit "old schooled" kinda like Guerlain Habit Rouge. Goes well with suit, but with jeans? I would pick up something else...

I also suggest you to sample Guerlain Vetiver even though I'm not a fan of it. It's fresh and crisp, but yet different than anything else you currently own. It's funny but I always associate this scent to an elderly gentleman... Givenchy pour homme (red one) is one of my favorites and cookesoul also pointed out it's relative merits.

Keep us informed of which scent(s) you finally chose, will ya?! Happy testing!

-Tero-

Good choice of fragrances my lad.

I'll go for:

Michael by Michael Kors
    Let your nose be your pilot

Of the ones listed, I'd be happy buying any of the following:

Guerlain Vetiver
    Live Jazz YSL
    Hanae Mori HM

I own all 4, and I highly recommend all of them, especially Hanae Mori.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Had some bad luck looking for these fragrances. I have previously tried and still have a little sample of HM and TM's Cologne. I went in search of the others and could only find Guelain Vetiver (sprayed it on and it lasted quite a while, very lemony) and Givenchy Blue Label. The blue label was way too close (read aquatic/fruity) to the others I already have so that is marked off my list. The three I will try to find before I make a purchase are Live Jazz, Caron pour un homme, and Givenchy pour Homme (the red).

How similar is the lemon note in Vetiver and the Live Jazz? How similar is Live Jazz to Polo Blue and 212??

I am going to give HM one more try today or tomorrow before I decide on that one. Thanks for the replies.

thanks.

Indeed you like very much orientals, but It seems to me your collection lacks of some fresh fruity or citrusy scent; soI suggest YSL Live Jazz and Mugler Cologne. Both are great for summertime!

from Blue Label`s givenchy, expect a fresh spicy with very sensual notes smell !