Code of Conduct

Default Please recommend sophisticated fragrance

I am looking for a gentlemen's fragrance for my uncle for Father's Day. In reading this board, I gather that lifestyle, season, and climate all play important roles in arriving at a good decision. We live in Puerto Vallarta, México. It is on the central Pacific coast and is warm all year. My uncle is a retired American lawyer at 51 years of age, and usually dresses in shorts with polo tops and sandals, except when he is on his boat, where he uses boat shoes. I do not think he is much interested in "brands" but has his favorites, like the polo tops from the Bobby Jones collection. My aunt (his wife) says he will appreciate any fragrance that is not overpowering, but I want to get for him something distinctive and sophisticated yet casual, because that is him. Most all fragrances are available in the city of Guadalajara, which we will be shopping in on Tuesday. I am considering Burberry Brit based on comments here, but I am worried that this fragrance is too formal and for colder weather, and I would very much appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

Default Re: Please recommend sophisticated fragrance

Last night, I broke out my Annick Goutal bottles as I picked up Sables the other day, and wanted to compare the lot. My favorite, which I think would be very appropriate for the climate you're in, would be Les Nuits d'Hadrien. It's fresh, yet warm and spicy. It's sophisticated, yet relaxed and probably quite wearable in most settings. It's classy and distinctive, and though the suggested retail price is $95/bottle, I found mine on e-bay for $35, new in box. http://annickgoutal.nl/en/fragrances...hadrien_m.html
    The Bark Bites Back.

Polo Blue is a nautical fragance
    Truth - Calvin Klein

Essenza Di Zegna
    Givenchy Pour Homme
    Creed SMW or MI

The description for Les Nuits d'Hadrien sounds like that fragrance would be a compelling choice. (Price is not terribly important--well, if under $200 USD for a 100 ml container.) Another reason I looked to Burberry Brit is that, according to a local department store, it is not common here, at least not yet. Les Nuits d'Hadrien seems to be in that category, too.

Polo Blue I think is a favorite here for the very reason cited. It is fresh and pleasing, I think. Essenza Di Zegna I will also pay close attention to, as it reminds me that that on the rare occasions he wears suits, he often chooses a classic Italian cut (I have picked up Brioni suits from his cleaner.)

Thank you for the options, and of course I remain open for more (or for further support for Burberry Brit or any others already mentioned.)

Eau Sauvage. Dresses up or down rather well, and you can wear it down in Mexico ... no doubt the weather is rather hot. ES is a citric - herbal scent, and does not overpower. One of my favorites.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I would recommand

Baldessarini Del Mar by Hugo Boss

Very classy one. Just for a classy person, having his day off on his boat

Smells like money

You could also try

Boucheron PH
    Chanel Pour Monsieur
    Miracle L'Aquatonic
    Lanvin L'Homme
    Eau de Rochas
    Live Jazz
    Sander for Men

Gendarme sounds like a good choice to me.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

You are all most kind; I have the coffee beans out as you have supplied me with a rich list of fragrances I will certainly try to find them all or most and will select the one I think best fits his personality as well as the other elements mentioned.

Thank you!

P.S. The weather here is probably hot for those accustomed to cooler climates, but it is comfortable for us: In June, for example, highs are in the upper 20s to 30 C (mid-80s F), with cool breezes, especially towards evening. We are nearing the rainy season which lasts until October.

I think your uncle will appreciate the following:

Green Irish Tweed by Creed
    Sandringham by Crown perfumery

I'd swear by it but you can never be too sure!

Let your nose be your pilot

Armani pour Homme or Monsieur Givenchy
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme fits your description very well. A very refined and elegant fragrance, but is beautiful in both casual and formal situations. Does not overpower and lasts long.

Essenza di Zegna is another good choice, but it's more casual. I think he'd find it hard to wear with anything formal.

I'd stay away from any of the Creeds for this purpose because all of them except maybe Imperial and Bois du Portugal have limited use, IMHO. I adore SMW and GIT, but they're almost so beautiful that you would spoil them by wearing them everyday.

Overcome By Fumes

Escada Silver Light Edition. It's bright but refined. Citrussy but lasts. Not overpowering. Not overly formal.

Erolfa (1992)
    by Creed
    Age 51, retired and has a boat... I thing this would be perfect. Here a comment from one.

"Surprising that this one doesn't get more attention on the forum. It is reminiscent of the saltwater seas, as advertised, but with an additional interesting "oily" note that is something akin to what the rigging on wooden sailing ships must smell like after being soaked for many years with sea salt, rain and sunshine. While the staying power could be better, this fragrance does speak loudly of "old school" notions of class and cool." Ronald

Personaly this is one of my favorites and I am sure he will like anything you choose. If you decide to go with any of these choices you might have to check him out on the application. Good luck and Happy Fathers day to him.

C
    CG

I just wanted to second the suggestion of

Annik Goutal's Les Nuits d'Hadrien

Exceptionally well made, quite masculine, and classy. Currently one of my top 5.
    To my nose it is warm, complex, and addictive. My wife thinks it it is one of the top three sexiest fragrances I own..

If the Les Nuits is too spicy and warm for your climate you may want to consider the original Eau d'Hadrian. It is more straightforward citrus, with a strong woody base. This is a tremendously elegant, classic fragrance (and popular with the celebs, they say...). It may be a little loud if I read your post correctly. Do a little reading up on these two. My only other suggestion would be Creed MI, in a distant third.

Good luck, and please report back on what you decide.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Aramis Havana would be my choice for this cat...

What about Salvatore Ferragamo Pour Homme?Really classy stuff,not extremely formal,suitable for the temperatures you mention.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Yvan

I second the suggestion of Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme. *Also the suggestion of Havana, which is smooth and nice and has kind of a tropical vibe, though I'm wondering how that thick-ish oriental would stand up to Mexico heat. *Eau de Rochas pour Homme might be a possibility (good citrus), though the pine in it is a bit strong for me. *

Burberry Brit might be a bit formal--not stuffy, but too gentlemanly and not casual enough, in my opinion; if you're thinking about Burberry, maybe Burberry London would do...that one's more casual and has kind of a pear note (I think it's the orange and mint, and maybe moss, that combine to make that) and maybe some tobacco.

Chanel pour Monsieur could be good too--it'll stand up to the heat, as it's citrusy with some moss and light wood--it's classy, but somewhere in between casual and formal.

I would say nino cerruti

There certainly are good suggestions already on this thread. I wanted to add Geir by Geir Ness, or maybe it is called Geir Ness by Geir. The lavender is sophisticated, the scent isn't overpowering, and it lasts a long time on the body. Great in sun, great in rain, great in evening, and great for an uncle.

Respectable, sophisticated, casual, comfortable, and perfect as a signature for every day.
    Good luck!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Tabac Blond is an ultimate sophisticated fragrance if money is no issue, this is one is definitely not for children!
    Let your nose be your pilot

"something distinctive and sophisticated yet casual"

Chrome: I find it to be a unique, semi-aquatic scent that can fit a casual or formal situation. For younger and older men. Somewhat strong at first, but mellows down in a short time.

Swiss Army: More trees than water, and a casual, fresh-aromatic scent that lasts well. Has a sharp character, but remains subtle. Not the run of the mill citrus-aqua scent. It seems to have an air of tradition.

Another vote for Dolce & Gabbana pour Homme, Creed GIT and Creed Erolfa. *Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta is worth adding to the list as well.