Code of Conduct

Default xeryus vs xeryus rouge

How do these compare? Are they alike or completely different animals?
    Any input is appreciated.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Why So Serious?

Default Re: xeryus vs xeryus rouge

In my opinion, two completely different species. Xeryus is intensely woody and oriental, has a dark mysetry about it, very masculine. Xeryus Rouge is sweet with a note of cactus somewhere, not particularly masculine, but more modern than Xeryus. Both are good for night use, Rouge is pretty good for romantic use, but it's really potent. I like Rouge better.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I agree and disagree with Hack. They are indeed two COMPLETELY different scents.

The regular is a really pleasant, if not groundbreaking, scent, versatile, good-smelling, and appropriate in almost any setting.

Rouge is a completely different animal. It is one of most despised scents ever and I literally gave my bottle away to another B'noter several months ago. It is suffocating and oppressively sweet. * I hated it. *But to each his own!

Yes, both are very different. The rouge is certainly very sweet, medicinal sweet almost.

I agree with the above. Very different. I prefer the original. (The Xeryus Rouge smelled too similar to some of the sweeter scents I already own.) If you want something sweet, go for Hanae Mori, Rochas Man, etc.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Complety different. I prefer Rouge, but not for summer

Xeryus is dark & heavy with an interesting berry note. It goes through some interesting transitions until the sandalwood hits you in the end.

I am neutral on Xeryus Rouge. If I were younger, I would probably love this as a date/fun scent. (I am not fun, to the dismay of many women, as much as I try to warn them.) It is a bit too sweet for me. In a mystery scent challenge I described Ungaro III as rather similar to Xeryus Rouge.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I second the comparison made by K.
    Ungaro III and Xeryus Rouge seem to have many similar notes. Though if push comes to shove, I will choose Ungaro III every time. Ungaro III's sweetness comes from a very balanced rose note which unlike Xeryus Rouge is not cloying; even if you overdose.