Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 33 of 33
  1. #1

    Default Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?


    I've never smelled it but this is one that everyone hates, I've never seen a positive comment on it. Other stuff like Kouros and A*Men has its lovers and haters. Also I remember smelling a Dyptique fragrance that smelled just like distilled white vinegar, it was horrible. I forget the name.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  2. #2

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I have L'Autre. I wear it and I love it. It's the ultimate arabian souq fragrance I have experienced so far. Nothing comes near when it's about the soul of wooden-roofed Damascene market *Bzureeyeh*.

    As for Vinaigre, it's not a scent like the other Diptyques. It's an invigorating solution. I like it.

    Their Virgilio RIPS! I moan with ecstasy when I wear it. I'm a tree-hugger. Maybe, that's why.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I have, wear, and love L'Autre. It is the best of the spice scents. It does what LV tries to do with Spezie better for example, and it did it long before Spezie.

    I could go on at length about L'Autre's hidden superiority, but let me state simply that I believe it is a superior product. Quite some time ago I wrote up a thread comparing L'Autre, Spezie, and LV's Piper Nigrum. I'll find it in my files somehow and post it.

    I blow my horn about ugly scents here, and I make out as if my love for the nasties makes me more macho a scenthound, but when I promote L'Autre it isn't just to blown this horn or beat my chest. L'Autre merits and gets my sincere endorsement and love.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Here's what I wrote a long time ago about L'Autre and its gang.

    L’Autre, Yatagan, Spezie, and Piper Nigrum.

    I’m going to call these four of the same spicy/non-floral family. They’re not identical, and Yatagan is the most distant and most woody of them, but for internet review purposes I’m grouping them.

    I rank L’Autre, by Diptyque, five stars out of five, Caron’s Yatagan and Lorenzo Villoresi’s Spezie each score four out of five, and I don’t like Villoresi’s Piper Nigrum so I rank it with two stars.

    What I love about this review is that it makes me a hypocrite. Look at the Basenotes reviews of Piper Nigrum and Spezie--you’ll note how reviewers say they’re similar. And they are doggone similar. Spezie has a wider range of colorful, dry spices, Piper Nigrum leans more to pepper, and is built on a stronger amber base. Also take a look at Spezie’s review page—on it J_Dubya compares it to L’Autre. Here’s why I’m a hypocrite: I love L’Autre but dislike Piper Nigrum.

    What can we do about our likes and dislikes? Not much, I think. Piper Nigrum has remarkably high status on this forum, and L’Autre has amazingly low status. “Body odor” is a recurrent comparison. By our comments on these two scents it looks like they must be remarkably different. But they’re not.

    Out of the bottle L’Autre smells like 7up mixed with turmeric. Ingredients of an Indian dinner is another comparison I’ve read a couple of times. But once it is on the body for an hour, L’Autre is very close to Spezie, and to me seems a more daring and aggressive Spezie. L’Autre becomes more so the longer its is on you—the spices getting cleaner, drier, and simply more wonderful. J_Dubya thinks the reverse, but I say L’Autre out spezies Spezie.

    L’Autre seems like it would be an extreme scent from comments here, but it is not different from what our noses know and like when compared to several other highly praised potions. It is however, the most unorthodox, the riskiest, the most compelling, and the best of this family however.

    Best,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    L'Autre is very strong and agressive when sprayed on a card. Thought on the skin it's almost citrussy (coriander?) and the spices become rather smooth.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Very nice review, Chris. You really make me want to try this one. I love spice scents and really love L'Eau and Eau Lente. I only wish Diptyqe had more staying power and projected more sillage. Does L'Autre stay pretty close to the skin and does it have much longevity?

    One of my favorite olfactory experiences is to wander into an Indian grocery store and be blasted by all of those otherworldly spices. I'd love it if I could find a scent that captures that experience.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?


    I grew up with my house and clothes smelling of Indian spices. To me this isn't otherwordly or exciting. Its something I do not want to smell like. Darkbloom and you others would probably like Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. It has that cumin and garam masala smell in it with sandalwood.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  8. #8

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Atrocious - Nuff said!

    MMM [smiley=happy.gif]

  9. #9

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I wear it occasionally and I love it when I do. It has a strong, heady start-off but the dry down is exiquiste.

    Griff
    Griff
    _____________________
    Follow me on FaceBook and Twitter
    And of course, eBay Radio

  10. #10

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom
    I have L'Autre... Nothing comes near when it's about the soul of wooden-roofed Damascene market *Bzureeyeh*.
    You can say that again. My boyfriend made me take a shower after testing this one, and after actually wearing it, my friend, who's home I was staying in forbade me to wear it again while in his presence...even the cat stayed away!

  11. #11

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Nice review, Chris!

    The first time I bought it and smelled it, I laughed out loud. What a BRAZEN, unorthodox scent! I would have no objection to wearing it...but somehow, fresh out of the shower in the morning, when I decided on my SOTD, this one never makes the list!

    But I swear, I AM going to wear it!!

  12. #12

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I don't dislike L'autre but I live in the far east where you often come into contact with a huge variety of spices for cooking. so cumin, coriander, cardamon etc are the stuff of everyday smells.

    if you have a bottle of l'autre and don't like wearing it, try this: give yourself 10 good sprays all over a couple of minutes before you take a shower. what's left is a wonderful soft whisper.

    AZTEC

  13. #13

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Boy, L'Autre....
    The awesome Griff sent me a decant of it awhile back, and dammit I just haven't summoned up the courage to wear it yet. I sniff it from the bottle now and then and it brings a smile to my face every time. I sprayed it on a card once to test its evolution and cleared my gf and the cat (and myself) out of the bedroom for the afternoon. I'm going to wear it one of these days, I swear!
    [smiley=evil.gif]

  14. #14

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Brazen and unorthodox, indeed! I pulled up this old chestnut of a thread after having tried L'Autre last night for the first time.

    Wow -- what a zinger! I can easily see how this one would/does fall into the Yatagan/Pot-pourri/Skarb family of "love it or hate it" kinds of frags. (Come to think of it, many Diptyque frags seem to fit into this family . . .)

    All I could smell was mentholated cumin at first, but then the woodsy-sweaty-salty drydown began and I had no idea what I was smelling. Can't wait for the Directory to come back up so I can apply some more L'Autre to my wrists and give this frag its much deserved, full fledged review.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 4th February 2008 at 01:25 AM.

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  15. #15

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    I grew up with my house and clothes smelling of Indian spices. To me this isn't otherwordly or exciting. Its something I do not want to smell like. Darkbloom and you others would probably like Serge Lutens Santal de Mysore. It has that cumin and garam masala smell in it with sandalwood.
    I don't really understand this, why someone should not want to smell like spices that they grew up with. spraying serge lutens and rubbing food on yourself is really not the same thing. I don't disagree with your personal taste in not liking it, I just see this excuse written very often and I don't understand why so many people say it. I didn't personally grow up with vanilla or cinnamon flavoured anything but I think even western people that did wouldn't object to them as notes in fragrances they wear. Two spices that I grew up with are pepper and bay and I love them both in frags.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by smellyliquid View Post
    I don't really understand this, why someone should not want to smell like spices that they grew up with. spraying serge lutens and rubbing food on yourself is really not the same thing. I don't disagree with your personal taste in not liking it, I just see this excuse written very often and I don't understand why so many people say it. I didn't personally grow up with vanilla or cinnamon flavoured anything but I think even western people that did wouldn't object to them as notes in fragrances they wear. Two spices that I grew up with are pepper and bay and I love them both in frags.
    It's hard to explain, it's a cultural thing. No one I know if Indian/Pakistani background wants to smell like curry. Yes I love the food but cooking Indian food creates a very strong smell that lingers in the house and on clothes for days. A lot of my friends were born in the US but to immigrant parents. No one would ever say mmmm you smell so good, just like curry.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by Azsmells View Post
    It's hard to explain, it's a cultural thing. No one I know if Indian/Pakistani background wants to smell like curry. Yes I love the food but cooking Indian food creates a very strong smell that lingers in the house and on clothes for days. A lot of my friends were born in the US but to immigrant parents. No one would ever say mmmm you smell so good, just like curry.
    I still don't understand because as I said earlier, the SL's (l'autre I have not tried so I can't comment) do not smell like food. True, they use some of the same spices but I mean... they smell like perfumes! I eat alot of curry, I also eat alot of middle eastern foods, cumin has been a food spice since i've been a child and I only saw it used in perfumery as recently as well 4 years ago lets say, but even on the first application I totally didn't feel like "im putting on rice" when I wear an SL with a cumin note. Food smells like food because it has meat, rice, potatoes, olive oil, vegetable oils, onions, whatever in it. while those things might not seem to smell so strongly on their own, they are what give food its foody smell, much more so than spices. Idonno its just something I seem to hear alot but can't wrap my mind around... but I suppose if enough people are saying it - it must be true.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I'll never forget my first encounter with L'Autre. I was at this great little store in the Shadyside district of Pittsburgh called ToadFlax (if you're in the area, don't miss it and Schiller's Pharmacy- great fragrances at both places). I was fairly new to the fragrance world, and was checking out their Creeds and Keiko Mecheri lineup, when someone in the store asked about their Diptyques, specifically if they had Tam Dao. I knew this guy had to be in to fragrances, and asked him if he knew about Basenotes, and lo and behold it was none other than RobYogi, whose reviews had helped guide me to numerous fragrances that I still enjoy to this day.

    Anyways, they had L'Autre there and I sprayed it on a card. Ugh... nothing but cumin with some turmeric and other heavy spices. It really smelled like body odor. I didn't give it much of a chance, but I can imagine this one would soften up a bit on the skin and perhaps be tolerable, but I can't imagine having to smell like BO to get there. I'll have to be brave and try it on my skin someday.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I love this stuff... It's zany, warm, rich and lasts well for me.

    If you're in the mood for the complete North African market experience, try layering this over SL Arabie. Now THAT'S a combination...

  20. #20

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    If you're in the mood for the complete North African market experience, try layering this over SL Arabie. Now THAT'S a combination.

    I can see the ad campaign now: "L'Autre/Arabie: a fragrance that really souks."

    Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    *****
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

  21. #21

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    I knew this guy had to be in to fragrances, and asked him if he knew about Basenotes, and lo and behold it was none other than RobYogi, whose reviews had helped guide me to numerous fragrances that I still enjoy to this day.
    Great story re: RobYogi; what a pleasant bit of serendipity. I think I'd go apoplectic if I ever met another Basenoter (although I keep thinking I'll eventually bump into CologneJunkie someday).

    l'Autre is my favorite whipping boy - it's the only fragrance I've encountered in my two years on the fragrance trail for which I can't find a single redeeming feature. I love spice-based fragrances, but l'Autre goes so far overboard on kitchen spices that it ceases to be a fragrance; the evocation of food is so strong that I can't separate the two in my mind. And I'm not a big fan of food-based fragrances to start with, so heap on the oh-so-strong body odor component and I'm outta there.

    But I'm glad that others appreciate it and can wear it with satisfaction. Vive la difference.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 4th February 2008 at 04:34 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  22. #22
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Thanks for bumping this thread Matt.

    I have always wanted to smell L'Autre, after Burr reviewed in the NYT right alongside Rose 31 in that 'dirty' themed scents. I think cumin either works wonderfully in a scent (Eau de Hermes use of cumin is quite good) or nasty (Kingdom by Alexander McQueen has the nastiest cumin drydown I've ever smelled). I'm willing to give it a whirl - I love dirty scents.

    I also am intrigued with the comparisons to Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi which I think is fantastic. The diffusive, aromatic and spicy elements of Spezie are something special and if L'Autre actually out spezies Spezie (as Chris says above) - then I'm curious.

  23. #23
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ...I also am intrigued with the comparisons to Spezie by Lorenzo Villoresi which I think is fantastic. The diffusive, aromatic and spicy elements of Spezie are something special and if L'Autre actually out spezies Spezie (as Chris says above) - then I'm curious.
    I don't actually see much similarity between L'Autre and Spezie, but it's been a long time since I tried L'Autre. Its cumin is nowhere near as well-integrated as the cumin in Eau d'Hermes, but it's certainly not repugnant. I don't enjoy wearing L'Autre because it smells too much like an Indian steam table lunch buffet, and that's just not an aura I want to project. (If you do want the "curry" effect, I think Fougere Bengal does a much more interesting job of it.) Do try L'Autre, though - it's certainly not boring!

  24. #24

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Vibert is right - there are many others out there that do cumin better. Rose 31 is in my top 10 (if not 5), and Fougere Bengal is wonderful, but the cumin/curry in those is controlled, if not restrained. l'Autre is not, IMO.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

  25. #25

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman View Post
    I'll never forget my first encounter with L'Autre. I was at this great little store in the Shadyside district of Pittsburgh called ToadFlax (if you're in the area, don't miss it and Schiller's Pharmacy- great fragrances at both places). I was fairly new to the fragrance world, and was checking out their Creeds and Keiko Mecheri lineup, when someone in the store asked about their Diptyques, specifically if they had Tam Dao. I knew this guy had to be in to fragrances, and asked him if he knew about Basenotes, and lo and behold it was none other than RobYogi, whose reviews had helped guide me to numerous fragrances that I still enjoy to this day.

    Anyways, they had L'Autre there and I sprayed it on a card. Ugh... nothing but cumin with some turmeric and other heavy spices. It really smelled like body odor. I didn't give it much of a chance, but I can imagine this one would soften up a bit on the skin and perhaps be tolerable, but I can't imagine having to smell like BO to get there. I'll have to be brave and try it on my skin someday.
    Hey Stuffman! I remember that day as well. Kind of surreal to meet someone you've only ever known of online. It was nice to meet you. L'Autre was the standout out of the day for me too. Not standout in a good way - or bad really - but it definitely left an impression.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    I don't actually see much similarity between L'Autre and Spezie, but it's been a long time since I tried L'Autre. Its cumin is nowhere near as well-integrated as the cumin in Eau d'Hermes, but it's certainly not repugnant. I don't enjoy wearing L'Autre because it smells too much like an Indian steam table lunch buffet, and that's just not an aura I want to project. (If you do want the "curry" effect, I think Fougere Bengal does a much more interesting job of it.) Do try L'Autre, though - it's certainly not boring!
    Even more so than Fougere Bengal I would suggest folks check out Les Nereides Oriental Lumpur if you like or want to try this "woods & spices bordering on curry" theme. That is a very well put-together fragrance. Not as sweet in the base as Fougere Bengal, spicier, and without the strong Sables-like immortelle quality. I'd say it's more to the L'Autre side of the spectrum but - to my nose anyway - put together a little better so that the cumin doesn't override the other notes.
    Last edited by robyogi; 4th February 2008 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  26. #26
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    So, I FINALLY found my sample of L'Autre at the bottom of my pile and wore it tonight for the 1st time (thanks tvlampboy). It was just a tiny amount so I applied all of the sample.

    Um...yeah. Dirty cumin. A lot of it. And, like DustB said, a fizzy citrus (like lemon lime soda) that dries down to even more spices. I thought it was going to get all Kingdom-ish but it didn't.

    Personally, I would not compare this to Spezie. Spezie is so much flatter and pungent. L'A is...rougher, textural and slightly comfy.

    VERY nice. I might have some difficulty reaching for this often (like Eau de Hermes, it has a time and a place) but now that I've smelled it, I want to smell it again.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2009 at 02:58 AM.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I love it - it's like Eau d'Hermes on steroids. One of my favorite Diptyques - which is why Diptyque had to discontinue it.

    I love Diptyque. They hate me.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I love the scent of l'Autre, it is definitely an acquired taste. But if you love it, well you love it.
    It is a scent one needs to try with an open mind, without any preconceived ideas about what it should be; good or bad ideas that is.

    Some, actually many, associate it with food. I associate it with warmth, comfort, and tranquility.

    Do not fear it, give it a try and embrace it.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

  29. #29
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I love it - it's like Eau d'Hermes on steroids. One of my favorite Diptyques - which is why Diptyque had to discontinue it.
    I almost wrote 'Eau de Hermes on steroids, in my comments above. So true.

    I had forgotten that this was discontinued. Looks like if I want a full bottle I need to hurry up and make a decision.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 19th February 2009 at 10:10 PM.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I had forgotten that this was discontinued. Looks like if I want a full bottle I need to hurry up and make a decision.
    Get it while you can Mike. L'Autre is a ferocious spice bomb that never fails to satisfy my craving for something spicy and different. It also comes in handy as a good 'dirty sexy' scent when you want one.

  31. #31
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    27,200

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    ... It also comes in handy as a good 'dirty sexy' scent when you want one.
    I see what you mean sloan_8013. It smells like sweaty people, not necessarily odorous sweaty people, but sweaty nonetheless. A very human smell from a very spicy scent. Fascinating.

    I'm not sure if I'm gonna wear this that much, though.

  32. #32
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,742

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    I find it absolutely delightful!

  33. #33

    Default Re: Does anyone actually wear L'Autre?

    Is one of mu favourite its only flaw is projection/longevity (not totally bad, but could be better)
    But at the end...

    Is discontinued? or limited to central Diptyque's boutique?

Similar Threads

  1. Wedding wear!?
    By Tobbe in forum Fashion and Style
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 5th April 2014, 08:29 AM
  2. Office Wear - Allure Sport, Mania, others
    By ToddO in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 31st October 2011, 04:34 AM
  3. What do you wear when you can't decide what to wear?
    By CologneJunkie in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 4th October 2011, 03:47 AM
  4. Fragrances that Killers from movies might wear....
    By Thrax in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 12th October 2006, 01:39 PM
  5. What to wear
    By Spiritussancti in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 15th August 2006, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000