Code of Conduct

Default The One(s) You Wanted to Love...but...

You know the ones I mean. Not the ones that you hated from the first blast and gave away or put on the swaplist and could've cared less...no, I mean the one(s) that you REALLY wanted to love. Maybe it was the beautiful bottle. Maybe you had smelled it in the past and had a good memory of it. Maybe everyone here seemed to love it. Maybe it was from a house whose other products were fantastic.

So you get it and wear it for the day....hmmmm.....not such a good impression, but you don't want to give up on it, for whatever reason. So you put it away and pull it out a while later. Uhhmmm.....you still don't like it, but it's too painful to face the truth. So maybe you even try it a third time, and finally you cannot escape the cold, hard, reality: it blows.

I can think of three. One was Laguna by Salvador Dali, and the other was another Dali scent, LeRoy Soleil. Gosh, everyone thought so highly of them. They had great silage. The bottles were beautiful, and the other Dali--the "lips" bottle--is one of the great all time men's fragrances. Yet, try as I might, I finally had to admit that there was something there that I just could NOT get past. Hello, swaplist.

My 3rd is actually my SOTE, and if I didn't apply it two hours before beddy-bye, I swear I would have hopped in the shower to wash it off and start again. Even as I sit hear typing, the overpowering odor is making me queezy. Hanae Mori. Yes, the same Hanae Mori that is so praised here, and given its "gourmand" rep, one I thought I would love. For all of the world, this one reminds me of my most hated scent of all time--Xeyrus Rouge. (OK, yes, I know, I know, they smell nothing alike....OK). Maybe it's the sweetness, the heaviness, but there are other sweet and powerful fragrances that I love.

So, anyone else had experiences like this? Not fragrances that you hated from the get-go and didn't give a shit, but fragrances that just broke your heart because, no matter how hard you tried, you could not love them the way you thought they deserved!

Default Re: The One(s) You Wanted to Love...but...

Yes, lord, oh yes...

Are u ready?

Here we go:

Antaeus
    Jules
    Rive Gauche
    Silver Mountain Water
    Gucci pour Homme
    Cartier Declaration
    Bulgari Black
    Cacharel pour Homme

I tried so hard with all of these, wanted so badly to love them, tried them again, swapped them away, tried them again just to make sure I wasn't nuts, and swapped them again...

maybe when I'm older...

marlen

Bvlgari Aqva
    Bvlgari BLV
    A*Men
    Kenzo pH

Not that I hate them, but they just don't seem to work well. I would like a whiff of them once in a while, but just can't wear it for the whole day.

Nicolai New York
    Goutal Sables
    Everything by F. Malle

Steely

yesssss, good topic!

eau de cartier concentree -- i like the regular one but it doesn't last! *i feel like i should own something from this house; to compliment that tank francaise i will have someday. all they're scents have been pure class and quality to my nose but none of them have ever really been 'me' -- i'm trying to make pasha and declaration work; pasha is winning so far

piper nigrum
    santal noble
    antaeus
    diesel green and ++
    GIT
    A*Men -- it's so bitter on me
    B*Men -- thought it was gonna be my answer to A but ended up like a patchouli bomb on me

Gucci Pour Homme - Really like the bottle and the overall image feels classy and laid back, but the scent -no thanks.

Most of Malle, Especially Vetiver Extraordinaire - I just have to face it, there is no vetiver scent in the universe that I will ever like ( Although L'Occitanes Eau de Vetyver comes pretty close). With both Musc Ravageur and Eau de Hiver it started as love but quickly turned into nausea and discomfort, especially Hiver makes me ill in no time now.

Baldessarini del Mar - Also a very nice bottle and I did dig the first launch so the mediocrity of this juice was a real letdown, especially considering the price.

MMM

Acqua di Parma & Colonia Assoluta - love them, but there is a tiny cloying element in both, I would rather live without.

F. Malle / Noir Epices & Musk Ravageur - Jewels certainly, but to live with for a whole day - heavy! Ambre Sultan will soon take the place of MR. While Piper Nigrum is no proper replacement for Noir Epice, I will miss NE less when I can finally afford to buy PN.

Lanvin L'homme - Did I choose it for the box or the bottle? My finest bottle for sure. The fragrance is distingué but leaves something missing.

'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

HABIT ROUGE

After reading all the glowing descriptions on Basenotes, I was sure I was going to love this so-called "oriental." I even ordered a 6 oz bottle!!! Now I know why you can get a 6 oz bottle of HR for $40.

Oh, gag, gack!! It smelled like the cheapest, cheap-ass dimestore cologne. And, yes, I gave it several chances. I couldn't get rid of this sucker fast enough. Life's too short to wear Habit Rouge.

I agree on the Frederich Malle ones, sampled them all, but was terribly dissapointed. Musc Ravageur , ..Yuugh!
    Lord knows I tried the Vetiver extraordinaire, I even bought a botlle of this.

Rose d'homme was a bit of a dissapointement too, but that was my own fault, bought it blind.

I once tried Caron Pour Un Homme but found it rather quirky.

I want to love it, but I must try it again...
    Let your nose be your pilot

This list spans over 25 years:

KL Homme
    Aramis Devin
    Quorum
    Versace L'Homme
    Ferrari Passion
    Colors
    Joop Homme
    Dreamer

Ah yes...

The Baron
    Bel Ami
    Lanvin L'Homme
    Pasha Fraicheur Menthe (but not Pasha)
    Kouros & Guerlain Vetiver at times
    I'm getting more & more that way with Habit Rouge
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Most of my "want to love, but" scents are older ones that I used to like back in the day, but now smell old and dated. Quorum falls into this category.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Great thread Dave.

For me the main category of ones that I want to love but end up hating are the ones that end up smelling common. I want to love new things at fragrance counters, but when they come out to be another Joop! Homme inspired-something claiming to be "Individuel," I hate it and hate the business making this junk. Insert aqua or oceanic themed elements here too.

There are a few scents I've gotten thinking they'd be different and compelling, but that after a few wearings started to blend into standard cologne-guy fare. I hate this. Lancome's Miracle Homme is the central culprit. I wanted very much to like it. Coffee elements (neat!) and from a house that doesn't make much else for men who picked a non-model filmmaker for their ad campaign. Some silly reasons to be attracted to a scent, I know, but the truth I confess to you is that I wanted the scent and wanted to like it as a result of these factors. So I got a bottle and found it made me blend in and feel dull. Damn shame. (Sorry Tero, I know this has been a favorite of yours, my friend.)

I've always wanted to like Mont Blanc Presence because of its fine bottle. But I can't stand the juice.

Chanel's Platinum Egoiste and Allure Homme I liked at first but then couldn't stand. I still keep them, though and want to revisit. It is only one day to try a scent, right? I guess I still will give them a wearing or two--probably in a few years--before making an excuse to give them to a friend.

LV's Piper Nigrum I wanted to love because it has spices and I love a spice potion. Well I couldn't stand it and was happy to trade it. I wanted to love it though!

I think there are some others but that's all for now.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

One thing that experience has taught me is to keep an open mind and don't write off well-crafted scents. There are obviously poorly made fragrances that I will never find appealling. I have learned, however, that in most cases I need only to "learn" to appreciate the scents from the 'better houses' or 'better noses'. I always think back to my rabid dislike of Ambre Sultan which transformed into a very strong love of the scent. With so many good fragrances out there why should I have to "try" to like a few that are challenging? It is like art or music where experience and education increase my appreciation. I hope this rambling makes some sense.

Well said, Setamp.

I really want to love the Guerlain Vertiver. The citrus topnote is so refreshing but it only lasts less than 10 minutes, before the petrochemical vertiver note takes over. It's my SOTD today which shows i'm still trying to like this one but...

I very much agree with Setamp. I have had bad reactions to several scents that I later grew to love. Two that come to mind are Vetiver Extraordinaire and Piper Nigrum. Now I assume that, over time, I can "acquire" an appreciation for any well-made scent.

Still, to answer the question, I really thought I would love Passage d'Enfer from the reviews and descriptions. It made my head hurt. I tried wearing it again and I had to shower it off. It was traded away shortly thereafter - why do I think it may end up back in my collection someday?

barrister98

Habit Rouge - couldn't handle the vanilla notes :-( .... really wanted to love this scent. but alas ....

Equipage - vile, bitter & somehow not compatible w/ my skin chemistry

Antaeus - beautiful and well-crafted scent but had negative comments fr virtually everyone when wearing

Heritage - again, a lovely & timeless classic - have had no luck w/ the Hermes & Chanel lines

Bvlgari PH - unique tea scent but wife says I smell like a walking cigarette

Egoiste (original) - my associate lawyer, a beautiful blondie ;-) literally gagged when I wore this to the office - this was in fact the one and only time I've ever had someone get sick over a fragrance - caveat: most Chanel fragrances are really more suitable to evening (not office) wear

Recently, I really wanted to enjoy Malle's Eau d'hiver, because I think the few of his other fragrances that I've tried are brilliant - espcially Bigarade Concentrée. But Eau d'hiver is just too thick and sweet on me. I can't wear it very much, but I keep going back and trying it, 'cause I want to like it...

I wanted to like Gucci Pour Homme and Vera Wang Men, too, but the first is overpoweringly leathery - I can only describe it as like living inside an expensive Italian leather loafer - and the second is sort of safe and pretty, but without much character; Vera Wang for Men has the sugary anise quality of Rykiel Homme Grey but without its quirks.

I wanted to like some of the L'Artisan output, based largely on the reputation L'Artisan has here; but I discovered I don't like fig notes at *all*, so Premier Figuier is out for me (as is Marc Jacobs - blech). Also L'Eau du Caporal struck me as undistinguished and not really citrus at all. L'Eau de l'Artisan I just found weird.

I'm disappointed to see so many of my fellow Basenoters wanted to love Lanvin L'Homme, but couldn't. To me this is a solid hit, but I guess my mileage varies. I share others dissatisfaction with Lancôme's Miracle Homme, however; I think there's too much going on in that one. It doesn't hang together well for me (although this might be skin chemistry thing again).

CUIRON: Everybody loved it, it was a good scent nice bottle .. but no Good for me, was too close to the skin and powdery for me, the plum in it was also way too sweet

A*Men: I had tester spray vials and went through them like crazy and loved the scent
    but when I bought the big bottle and tried it it was nasty, the chocolate/coffee thing didnlt show up till quite late and didn't last on my skin. Fortunately it sold on ebay for a premium !!

Monsieur de Givenchy: People said it was really nice and effervescent and classy but
    I smelled cheap shaving cream in it after a while

Minotaure: Many people sweared it was the most romantic scent ever and I smelled clogged plumbing

Silver Mountain Water: Huge fan following of this scent. I thought it was just an average smelling scent, not worthy of keeping.

Gotham

Yatagan.
    It's not that I don't like it, because I do. But from the description of it, I thought it was going to be the bee's knees. It seemed like it was going to be exactly my kind of frag, exactly what I'd been looking for. And it wasn't quite. I was so disappointed at first that I reacted negatively to it. Treated it harshly, I did. But as time went on, and I wore it a few more times... I warmed up to it. It ain't bad. Just not the Holy Grail I thought it was going to be. And so the search continues...

I wanted to love them, but they didn't love me back:

Bandit
    Black Cashmere
    Rouge Hermes
    Parfum Sacre
    Czech & Speake Dark Rose
    Opone
    Gres Cabaret
    Ambre Sultan
    Angelique Encens
    Anne Pliska
    Coco
    Bois des Iles
    Bois de Paradis
    Matthew Williamson's Incense
    Messe de Minuit
    Talco Delicato
    Teinte des Neiges
    Perfect Veil
    Trussardi Skin

Oh, the disappointment! I've realized that most pepper, incense and saffron, amber and wood notes ain't my thang. Many popular powder and skin scents turn to b.o. on my skin. Argh!

Body Kouros
    Rive Gauche
    Yang
    GIT
    OV
    Black Jeans
    CDG 2 and 3
    Piper Nigrum

Oh good heavens, this topic hits home. I'm an impulse buyer and actually have been pretty lucky with my purchase-by-intuition approach. However. [ahem]. There are a few that provoked some pretty negative reactions. Samsara didn't mingle well with my chemistry came off with the scents of rotting flowers and baby barf. I was psyched with the thought of my Mitsouko arriving and when it did, it was a major disappointment after all oooos and ahhhhs and raves. Nada. I found that it annoyed me more than anything else, and when I get my swap list compiled some day, it'll be at the very top of the list, the whole bothersome ounce of it. Tabac Blond bored me, and I'm glad I only got a sample of it. White Witch by Parfums Jamaica smells remarkably like it and is a helluva lot cheaper. They both fit in the category right along with Marilyn Miglin's Pheromone. Very spicey, and my skin totally rejects very spicey and will only accept somewhat spicey
    "Too much of a good thing is wonderful." -- Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    It's not that I don't like it, because I do. But from the description of it, I thought it was going to be the bee's knees. It seemed like it was going to be exactly my kind of frag, exactly what I'd been looking for. And it wasn't quite. I was so disappointed at first that I reacted negatively to it. Treated it harshly, I did. But as time went on, and I wore it a few more times... I warmed up to it. It ain't bad. Just not the Holy Grail I thought it was going to be. And so the search continues...
    Will somebody please take this thought out of my brain. The idea of the Grail. The lost sacred cup of perfect, luxuriant, ever-subtly-changing scent, that I will love, that will simultaneously startle, amuse and comfort me, that will perfectly express Me, the inner Me, the better Me, and that will make everyone I desire want to follow me around like little ducklings.

I dream of it. I walk the streets of the city, endlessly searching. Every really-nice-but-not-quite-perfect scent gets thrust aside with impatience.

Will somebody please take this thought out of my brain.

ahahaha....I know THAT feeling, bro!

Allure
    Kenzoair
    Green Irish tweed
    Angelique encens
    Voleur de rose
    Burberry Brit
    Epicea
    A men
    Just to name a few that came to mind.....what's with the Federic Malle bashing, while some are not my cup of tea, these are the most unique and wonderfull scents in the marketplace..they are just not safe or common...this is the house in the industry which ALL the top noses are dying to work for.

Wanted to love Derby by Guerlain but it didn't happen! Wanted to love all the Azzaros but that just won't happen with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    It is like art or music where experience and education increase my appreciation. I hope this rambling makes some sense.
    ..and how it does! Ambre Sultan itself taught me the same. It was there but forgotten quickly in favor of Arabie and Musk Ravageur sampled at the same time. Six months later I am thinking of reverting that decision. All in all AS is not only just as outstanding as the other two, it is quieter, more suave, easy to wear. In short: the better mate. MR may end up on the rack of best scents.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Good thread!

For me, it's Roy Soleil, Michael Kors, Ghost Men, and Annick Goutal Sables. Somehow, I find them good, but not good enouh to wear them. But there are scents I didn't like, and after some time I fell into them. Gucci Envy and Amen, for example: I couldn't stand them first, but continued to sample them again and again, and suddenly - from one day day to the other - I liked them a lot. Don't know what happened inside my nose or brain, but those changes of taste make this whole fragrance thing really exciting!

- Azzoro Visit

- M7 Yves Saint Laurent

- Farenheit CD

Two come to mind.

Comme des Garcons 2 EDP and Odeur 71.

CdG2 sounded really great and I waited along time to test it. I liked the initial blast and wore it for a few days, and realized I really liked the scent, but I think it would be better on a woman perhaps. I don't know. Plus there is something in it that reminds me of my mom's nail polish. I still like the scent and find it highly original, its just something I'm never in the mood to wear.

Odeur 71 bums me out because I LOVE Odeur 53. But Odeur 71 has a real salty battery acid character that is really odd. Its probably the one scent with the most imaginative list of notes (dust on a hot lightbulb, pencil shavings, lettuce juice, willow), but almost the only thing I get out of it is the battery acid-and the dust on a lightbulb-strange but true. I don't hate 71, I just don't love it like I do Odeur 53 and its milky, metallic, mineral aura.