Code of Conduct

Default GOBIN DAUDE where r u??

Mike_C's recent review of Patricia de Nicolai Vetyver made me recollect the cumin note in Biche dans L'absinthe. Unfortunately it brings back too many memories of my days as a poor student in japan, when all I could afford was japanese curry rice and udon noodles. The same curry leaf note jumps out in PdN vetyver.

What has happened to Gobin Daude?? seems like this house never gets a mention on basenotes these days. Those striking fragrances with the exotic names: seve exquise, nuits au desert, jardins ottoman, sous le buis and of course, the infamous Biche....these all grabbed a lot of attention in 2002 and 2003. BUT what has happened since? and why did Victoire Gobin-Daudé stop at these five?

are there still some loyal fans out there?

AZTEC

Default Re: GOBIN DAUDE where r u??

I've never stopped loving Gobin Daudé scents, it's one of my favourite lines, I love all five scents and it's the only whole line I've got.

I've heard rumours about it going to be discontinued. [smiley=angry.gif] [smiley=cry.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

GD was on sale 50% in London last few months. I friend of mine told me. I think things could be going not very good for the label.

I am still waiting for her announced 2 new scents, tho. Maybe Cedric will know.

I don't want to think of nothing else. Nuit is my v. fav. oud scent. Love Seve and Biche, too.
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

When my boss contacted Gobin Daudé in february he was told that the line was being discountinued but that they still had stock in all the fragrances. We choose not to restock, the only fragrance we still have is Jardins Ottomans.

But since then there have been rumors that the company had found new investors and that 2 new fragrances where in the works.

Damien Bash is an other line that is dying.

Thanks Cedric:-) There is hope.
    (Oct. 3rd).

Another fan here ! I own 4 of the treasures (except Jardins Ottomans) and this is the first time, that I am actually stocking scents now, I've already got an extra bottle of Biche dans L'Absinthe and reserved another Nuit au Desert one.
    Many retailers stopped selling the line, because it just didn't sell well. What a shame ! The Gobin Daude scents
    are my biggest find in the past years, I think the scents are all amazing, very personal and unique.

If they re-start again with 2 new scents, I will open a bottle of champagne ;o).

PS: Sorry to say that, but I don't feel sorry for the Damien Bash scents, to me they all seem, like someone had a good idea and stopped worked on it halfway.

There is good news:-)

Prince Barry wrote me an PM because he has login problem and can not post. I've been "allowed" to quote here:-)

He was talking with Victoire and Christophe about 2 weeks ago. They said that they are having distribution problems but the line is not discontinued. Victoire has created some new scents but they are not releasing them until the distribution and backing problems are sorted out.

Thanks again Prince:-) I hope that the probl will be cleared soon.
    (Oct. 3rd).

Quote Originally Posted by nqth
    There is good news:-)

Prince Barry wrote me an PM because he has login problem and can not post. I've been "allowed" to quote here:-)

He was talking with Victoire and Christophe about 2 weeks ago. They said that they are having distribution problems but the line is not discontinued. Victoire has created some new scents but they are not releasing them until the distribution and backing problems are sorted out.

Thanks again Prince:-) I hope that the probl will be cleared soon.
    Many thanks for these great news, Prince Barry and many thanks for forwarding them here, Nqth! [smiley=smiley.gif]

Safran, I agree about Damien Bash, was very disappointed by the scents. [smiley=sad.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I like GD very much for the creativity and new look at perfumery.
    But when one smell those scents - they smells not so orchestral as the best samples of Caron, Guerlain and so on. Non-pyramidal builded scents are original - but oh so simple with the strange notes like oud, nard and so on...
    So I own almost all scents (except Jardin Ottomans - too flowery and sweet) and wear them sometimes.

Yes, in Paris big shops there were not a queue for GD scents.
    I think the reason is - no marketing and distribution departments. All done by 2-3 people.

And I read somewhere about 2 new scents from the brand. Want to try the new two with hope for leather and vetiver in it.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

A few months ago, I discovered the Gobin Daude scents through samples I ordered through Ebay. I was lucky enough to get Sous le Buis and Seve exquise for a great price, and have a swap in the works for Biche.
    I love green scents, and to me, S le B, SE and Biche are all variations on green. S le B seems to be the one with lasting power issues, whereas the other two last pretty much the whole day. I do detect the cumin note in Biche, but it's not as overpowering as in, say, CdG Shiso. It seems like a hint of an animal scent hidden between the greenery, as the name implies.
    Nuit au Desert has great top notes, and it is not as oud-ey as for example the Montale oud line. Unfortunately, the dry down turns into something musty, like cheap cologne that's been sitting on the shelves too long.

It looks like Gobin Daude will have to do some marketing - and perhaps reduce the price of their scents - to stay in business. I'm certainly looking forward to possible new releases.

You are welcome, Tigrush:-)
    (Oct. 3rd).

I've sampled all five scents, and I own a decant of Biche. Biche is a remarkable scent. I find it to be very emotional and evocative. It's both sweet and animalistic, and I find it hard to wear frequently, but I find myself sniffing it quite a bit. The drydown lovely - it mellows and evolves for hours.

Sous le Buis is an excellent bright green scent.

Seve Exquise is a cool, wintry green - a soft, sweet, powdery base beneath the piney green opening.

Jardins Ottomans reminded me very much of Orange Julius - a chain of fast food restaurants in Southern California that was popular in the 70's and has since disappeared. Their signature item was a whipped orange drink - Jardins Ottomans triggered a strong scent memory for me of this drink. Other than that, I didn't find the scent very interesting to wear. I much prefer Bigarade Concentree or Egoiste for orange scents.

Nuit au Desert was very strange. It had that "just sat by a campfire" smell - not something I want to wear.