Code of Conduct

Default Caswell-Massey sale: *are any of these good?

I noticed that Caswell-Massey looks like they’re “retiring” a bunch of frags, so consequently they’ve dinked off much of the prices on them. *But I’m totally unfamiliar with them all. *Anybody have an opinion on any of these? *Are they excellent, horrible, what? *Worth the price? *What say you?

---Helan Rum & Vetiver. Eau de Toilette 3.4oz. *Was $40, now $20.
    ---Vetiver. Cologne 3oz. *Was $35, now $8.75.
    ---Lord Ashley Cooper. Cologne 3oz. *Was $35, now $8.75.
    ---Original Lavender. *Cologne 3oz. *Was $35, now $8.75.
    ---Valentina My Own. *(can’t tell if this one’s for men or women?) *Cologne 3oz. *Was $35, now $8.75.

Any and all opinions welcome! *Thank you in advance. *

I'll add the links if you want to browse the site....

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shoppin...iProductID=197

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shoppin...iProductID=640

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shoppin...iProductID=637

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shoppin...iProductID=636

http://www.caswellmassey.com/shoppin...iProductID=634

Default Re: Caswell-Massey sale: *are any of these good?

Thank you very much for this post, Coleman. I'm going to check these out at my local C-M this evening.
    Great eye for a deal, man. Thanks!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Thank you very much for this post, Coleman. *I'm going to check these out at my local C-M this evening.
    Great eye for a deal, man. *Thanks!
    --Chris
    My pleasure, brother. I only ask that if you do get any thing good, let us know ASAP, so I can jump on a bottle before the supplies are gone! Always looking for the bargains, I am....
    [smiley=grin.gif]

Coleman,
    Sounds like a deal, my friend.

The straight C-M "Vetiver" is a good one, woody and powdery, but like the C-M products in general, it is simple. Not a bad thing to be simple, but it can risk being dull. Wearing it on one hand now I get the sense it would have a good duration from its "cologne water" strength. A true bargain at $8.75, but compared to other vetivers it is shallow. I have Molinard's edc strength vetiver and wore it a lot last summer. I'd get and wear C-M's version if I didn't have Molinard's. (This Molinard comes cheap from the online merchants but is very hard to find in brick and mortar shops.) Molinard's is more raw and bold than C-M's. The C-M Vetiver smells like it does indeed come from the company that makes Persian Leather, although the scents aren't really the same. This is a great great vetiver for the very hot humid days of the summer when everything else burns off. This is a superior buy for the days when you're fighting sweaty summer BO instead of just wondering when your perfume wears off. Very traditionally masculine.

I've got Original Lavender on my other hand and it is still there, but as light and close sillage only. There's too much light air in this one. I don't think it will last and if it does it won't be noticeable. Also it is only the sweeter side of lavender and not the dark dry side that often comes with wafts of a good lavender scent. So you get half a lavender scent is what I want to say, and only the pretty half. Nice all alone, but not too great to live in for any amount of time. A good buy for the price if you're someone who just wants a sense of what lavender is, but this is nothing that is going to get anyone fawning over you. It also is not traditionally masculine smelling.

Fool that I am, I didn't test Lord Ashley Cooper. Also the shop I went into didn't have the rum & vetiver thing you mention first on the list. I would love to have tried that one. Also, the $8.75 deal appears to only apply to online sales--my local store had these at $17.50 or 50% off regular price.

Because I've got vetiver and lavender (Pour Un Homme) potions already I passed on these. No one should regret or get ribbed for picking up a C-M scent for $8.75 though, and these two work pretty well. I'd get a couple bottles of the vetiver if I weren't already stocked on the divine root.

Thanks again for the tip! When their patchoulis and sandalwood bottles go on sale I'll be all over them. I hope these comments on these two help.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks Chris, for your take on the Vetiver and Lavender. *I'm not very familiar with vetiver, so I think I may get this one. *(The Lavender, probably not. *"[N]ot traditionally masculine smelling," usually means "stay away" for me.) *So this'll be the third scent I've got from them at a bueno discount! *(I got Persian Leather and Original Greenbriar at half-price, when they were being "retired" as well.) *Anyway, thanks again for giving us your thoughts.

Yeah, I wish I got Vintage Greenbriar when it was on sale. It really reminds me of Antaeus with that nice harshness, but it is of course greener. I still have an oz of that left fortunately. K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I told my step-dad about the half-price Original Greenbriars and he bought 20 (I think it was) bottles of the cologne and after-shave. *Set for life, he says! *Only thing he wears. *Couldn't stand the new stuff. *Me neither.
    I'm starting to kind of feel like a vulture here, though. *Feasting off the carcass of Caswell-Massey, gobbling up all their "dying" frags at fat discounts, Greenbriar and Persian Leather dripping from my beak...
    caw! *caw!

Default Re: Caswell-Massey sale:  are any of these go

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    I noticed that Caswell-Massey looks like they’re “retiring” a bunch of frags, so consequently they’ve dinked off much of the prices on them. But I’m totally unfamiliar with them all. Anybody have an opinion on any of these? Are they excellent, horrible, what? Worth the price? What say you?
    The Helan Vetiver & Rum is exactly as advertised, per the ingredients. I bought this one but tired of it (but don't be swayed by that cause I tire of most scents I buy) The main thing about this one is it's very "2 dimensional", the rum and the vetiver seem absolutely distinct from one another. At spray on it's "rum" then this fades and the vetiver sticks around the longest. So if you are a vetiver fan, I'd say try it cause that's the predominate scent.

Lord Ashley Cooper I sampled at the store. First impressions can be misleading but the one word that immediately occurred to me was VANILLA - lots of it. Nothing else seemed to be recognizable at first sniff but I didn't apply it only smelled from the bottle. The saleslady characterized it as "unisex" but if you like vanilla and are not sheepish about frags that are very sweet - try it.

Default Re: Caswell-Massey sale:  are any of these go

I want to try C-M 'Newport'..

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    I noticed that Caswell-Massey looks like they’re “retiring” a bunch of frags, so consequently they’ve dinked off much of the prices on them......
    Thanks for the "heads up" on this sale, Coleman !!!