Code of Conduct

Default Serge Lutens Cedre, Borneo 1834

Hullo, been absent for a while but thought I would break my duck with two quick reviews of upcoming Serge Lutens goodies. My friend was at a press launch for two new SL fragrances today and smuggled out card samples of each.

The first, Cedre, is in the internationally-distributed collection. It is a lovely, sweet and heavily ambered version, about as far away from the fresh, "hamster cage" note often associated with this wood as it is possible to get. I detect cinnamon, apple, tabac, perhaps carnation too. Very resinous - those Serge diehards who whinged that their idol had strayed too far from the orientals when creating the magnificent trio of Chene, Daim Blond and Miel du Bois will see Cedre as a return to form.

If Cedre is a delight, albeit one with a familiar feel, Borneo 1834 is an altogether stranger beast. It is the next addition to the Exclusive collection. Dark, dark woods - I think ebony (l'Occitane once made a soap with this note) and mahogany - on a lush, smoky patchouli background.

It is very exotic: Hints of rubber, of coffee, of cocoa bean, cannabis resin, perhaps incense, plenty of patchouli, with the atmosphere of one of those intricately carved wooden boxes people bring back from India. It's much more mascline than Cedre, but I can definitely imagine it on one of those well-bred boho girls holding court in Notting Hill surrounded by tribal gri-gris and travel whatnots.

Don't know the significance of the title: Any ideas what happened in Borneo in 1834?

Oh I popped into the renewed Guerlain boutique today too: Simply magnificent perfume department - scents like Liu and Derby will make your head spin. Not deeply impressed by the new trio. A review to follow possibly later this week.

All best

M_C

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Serge Lutens Cedre, Borneo 1834

Many thanks for the reviews, Mike! Both sound grrreat, definite must-tries. [smiley=cool.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like

Mike, it is simply great to see you're still with us.
    Best also,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Thanks for the exciting news and welcome back Mike C!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you soooooo much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's good to see you again, Mike! Welcome back home! [smiley=smiley.gif]
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I received a bottle of Cedre last week. It comes in the same dark brown packaging of Daim Blond.
    I'm afraid I did not find it to be a come back to a past identity, nor did I find it to be a departure from Daim Blond or Miel du Bois. It's very much a continuation of the contemporary SL school of *sweet* character. Very much in the vein of MdB but honey here is muted and fused with hints of ambery vanilla. Cedar is quite evident. All in all, another contemporary sweet SL.

Warming up the old credit card!...But why oh why are his dark brooding scents only available in Europe? [smiley=angry.gif]

Regards,
    Steve

The fragrance Cedre reminds me most of is Nicolai's amazing Pour Homme - if you can imagine Pour Homme without the grassy, lavender top notes, that's a fairly close approximation of Cedre.

As for Borneo, well, think patchouli mixed with Eau des Iles or Eau de Navigateur.

Good to see you all again!

Post Thanks / Like

Many thanks!!! It's so good to see you back, Mike_C:-)
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

GnuGnuAntiloop

Thanks for your always excellent reviews Mike! Both of these new SL's sound fascinating - can't wait to test them!

-T-