Code of Conduct

Default Is it my choices, or just me?

Hi friends,

I've noticed lately that MOST ALL of my fragrances, seem to have hardly any lasting power when I wear them.. and it's ticking me off!

Now, I realize that we sometimes cannot smell our fragrances on ourselves after the dry-down, but that others around us can still smell them. In fact I can only smell my frags on myself for about an hour.. unless I smell my shirt up close to my nose, then I can tell what cologne I am wearing. It makes me wonder if others around me actually can smell me or not...

I spray my chest, neck, and shirt most of the time. Sometimes I spray the backs of my hands.

Sometimes I think, maybe it's my chemistry? I have fairly dry/normal skin, and I am always warm (I sweat easily.)

I have the following frags that I wear and rotate all the time:

- Chanel - Pour Monsieur 'travel sprayer' (I really love this scent, it's sort of metallic on me. It doesn't last long AT ALL and nobody else smells this one, I'm sure of it!)
    - Creed - MI (Love it, doesn't last long and isn't giving off sillage I feel. Dries down to an old book smell sometimes. I usually apply about 5 full sprays to neck and chest and shirt.)
    - Oscar De La Renta - Pour Lui (This one tends to last fairly long, even with 2 sprays. Lovely scent.)
    - Armani - Black Code (This one has shit for lasting time, nice smell though.)
    - Caron - L'Anarchiste (Great smell, but doesn't last on me even after a good 6 sprays! At least, I don't THINK anybody smells it on me, since I can't.)
    - Sense Of Space - Axis (One of my favorite fruity-spicy refreshing scents... not the longest lasting, by far.)
    - Sense Of Space - Octane (Great scent.. lasts 'okay' on me I guess, longer than Axis anyway.)
    - Dali - Le Roy Soleil (Nice citrus scent... doesn't last long for me though.)
    - Jesus Del Pozo - Quasar (I really do like Quasar, has that salty marine/banana peel to it. I was outside and a hot girl say I smelled "nice" about 10 minutes after applying it.)

I recently ordered Yang, and Ungaro III.. I hope these are going to offer me some better lasting power and sillage.

Any feedback?

-Michael

Default Re: Is it my choices, or just me?

First, I'd suggest taking a couple days off from wearing any scent. Then, try again and see if you can detect what you apply. I'm not familiar with most of the ones you listed, but Creed MI is pretty short in duration when I've worn it and L'Anarchiste is the opposite, lasting a good 8+ hours on my skin.

You could also try using some sort of moisturizing lotion or body oil before applying. Make sure to hit the wrists as well, since pulse points generate more body heat and help diffuse the scent off your skin to the nose.

Of the two you ordered, both wear well for me, especially the Ungaro III. Its pretty strong to my nose, so I don't apply too much since it will overwhelm me and the little bit I use typically goes for a while.

I'd also suggest asking someone if they can smell your cologne. I've done that when in doubt and gotten confirmation it had disappeared or acknowledgement they could smell it, even if I couldn't.

Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Yang and Ungaro III last on me quite a bit if time and have great sillage. But certain fragrances
    don't mix well with the skin chemistry of the wearer. (There are people on whom A*Men lasts less than an hour). The trick is to discover the scents that can work with your skinype and create synergy.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Post Thanks / Like

The only ones I have tried on your list is the Creed, which doesn't last too long on me either. I have sprayed other Creeds on myself (VIW in particular) and could barely smell it on myself, or not at all, and yet people around me smelled it just fine, all day.

Polo green is another less expensive sillage/longevity monster you could explore and see what happens. The ultimate for me is Dior's Leather Oud-- get a sample of that-- if it doesn't blast you all day long, you've got teflon skin. Or some of the Montale's, especially Rose Aoud-- that one lasts on me for days-- literally days, even through a shower! Other Montale Aouds are similar (less then the Rose, but still pretty impressive) in longevity, as well as projection.

It's just a matter of time. You're bound to find one that will agree with the skin chemistry and have great longevity.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

NB - The OP hasn't logged into Basenotes for 4 years. I think the chances of him reappearing now for an answer to a thread he posted in 2005 are pretty remote

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm You don't your fragrance knocking people out do you?
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It's just a matter of time. You're bound to find one that will agree with the skin chemistry and have great longevity.
    Agreed, What works on some may not work on you. I know its frustrating but there are so many nice fragrances out there theres no need to be sad

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    NB - The OP hasn't logged into Basenotes for 4 years. I think the chances of him reappearing now for an answer to a thread he posted in 2005 are pretty remote
    Excellent. I might start replying to ten year old threads as an experiment.
    (No I don't have anything better to do.)

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

A couple that you have (Creed MI, Chanel PM) I'd consider average/below average longevity. Ungaro III last a good while on me, so good luck with that.
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)