Code of Conduct

Default Buying discontinued scents..your input PLEASE!!

In my never ending quest to find the rare and the unusual, a friend here turned me on to a website that deals in discontinued frags. I have picked out the following and really want comments on these before I drop some moola....are they da bomb or da bust?

1) Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

2) Actuer by Azzaro

3) Lanvin for Men (not to be confused with the new, pale purple juice, lavender scent)

4) Tenere by Paco Rabanne

5) Lancome Balfore brun

6) Aramis Pourtos

7) KL Homme

8) Molyneaux Quartz--men's or women's?

9) Ted Lapidus Vu--men's or women's?

10) Ted Lapidus for Men--is this one really discontinued?

Please, all of you perfume experts--give me feedback! I can find very little about some of these in our directory.

Default Re: Buying discontinued scents..your input PLEASE!

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    In my never ending quest to find the rare and the unusual, a friend here turned me on to a website that deals in discontinued frags. I have picked out the following and really want comments on these before I drop some moola....are they da bomb or da bust?

1) Ricci Club by Nina Ricci

2) Actuer by Azzaro

3) Lanvin for Men (not to be confused with the new, pale purple juice, lavender scent)

4) Tenere by Paco Rabanne

5) Lanvin Balfore brun

6) Balenciaga Pourtos

7) KL Homme

8) Molyneaux Quartz--men's or women's?

9) Ted Lapidus Vu--men's or women's?

10) Ted Lapidus for Men--is this one really discontinued?

Please, all of you perfume experts--give me feedback! I can find very little about some of these in our directory.
    Excellent choices!

Ricci Club is an ole fav of mine, love it! Actuer, slightly appley and very nice indeed, Tenere is yet another old fave excellent scent, KL Homme is simliar in style to Lagerfeld homme, deep and heavy as for the Lapidus, I have Ted and love it, dunno if that the one you mean.

As for the others, not tried them but this list looks like a winner to me! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

OH, the mens Molyneux Quartz is very nice too, like a tamed Insense to my nose [smiley=smiley.gif]

The Lapidus is called "vu." I know, I have never heard of it either.

Ricci Club isn't discontinued (anymore?). You can find informations about it on the Nina Ricci website. I can't say that I like it very much, but a lot of people here seem to love it, so I guess it's just not my cup of tea.
    Ricci Club is a rather strong scent, a little goes a long way. It's a combination of fresh citrus topnotes with spicy, bitter middlenotes and a woody base. Very 80's IMO.

Of all the other scents I only know Tenere. I have a colleague who keeps on complaining that it's discontinued. He loves classic scents like Azzaro pour homme, Devin etc., so if YOU like these, you might like Tenere as well.

BTW, would you mind telling us the URL of this website?

Wow, i love classics and i have only sampled half of those on your list. You must give us your impressions when the goods are delivered!

I guess you mean LANCOME balafre brun.

AZTEC

Why yes, I did, thank you. Corrected.

Funny but I have never really found Ricci Club to be dated or "80's" at all.

A big fave of mine!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I'd stay away from the KL Homme. I found it to be cheap and ghastly. And I love Lagerfeld Classic.

Yeah, thanks, agreed. I've never smelled a KL I liked, though I haven't smelled the one you mentioned.

They smell cheap and suffocating to me. No offense to anyone who loves 'em.

MJH

OK, I have a bottle of Ténéré from a swap, but I can't say I've really gotten to 'know it' yet. Besides, I know Chris just did a fantastic review of Ténéré on a different thread.

I used to have Quartz (the women's version). I picked it up pretty inexpensively after reading Chandler Burr's review of it as one of his Ten Favorite scents:
    http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/...urr/essay.html
    I thought it was 'pretty' and citrusy, but not very distinctive or interesting, so I swapped my bottle away. It wasn't until later than I learned that there were separate men's and women's versions. I've still never sampled the men's version.

I have a sample of Balenciaga's Portos thanks to Docluv (thanks, Colin!). Now this one is definitely bold, distinctive and interesting. If my samples were better organized, I'd try to find it and refresh my memory for you. [smiley=embarassed.gif]But it definitely made an impression on me as a strongly 'masculine' scent.

If I had to chose one from your list as the one to pursue, I'd recommend the Balafre. I have a new bottle of Balafre, and vintage bottles of Balafre Brun and Balafre Vert. As far as I can tell, Balafre=Balafre Brun, while Balafre Vert was a short-lived (and sorta bizarre) variant. I wish I were better with notes: Balafre reminds of new leather car upholstery and Cusson's Imperial Leather soap.

As far as I know, Portos and Ténéré are discontinued, while Quartz is still in production. Balafre can be ordered through Scentdirect.com in the UK (where I got my newer bottle), but I thought the only 'official' source was the Lancôme Institute in Paris.

Thanks MJH for the link.

Damn, this stuff is pricey!!!!

I'll still probably buy it, though....lol

Hi,

I do have a funny fealing about discoutinued fragrances, how old are they, where have they been stored and for how long.

Dont forget that your are bying this scent for quiet a few box !!! and you want this scent to be the best quality.

I would suggest not to buy opened bottles (oxygen changes the fragrance after the 1st year)

A very old fragrance might be complitely different from the original.

A perfume that has changed color might still have all its powers (perfume like a wine do live in the bottle and transformes)

LIGHT HEAT OXYGEN AND TIME are the worst enemy of your scent

A perfume stored in an aluminium sealed bottle can last for a very long time especially if full (less oxygen)

Laurent
    Invisible Power

I acquired KL Homme for cheap at TJ Maxx. Excellent scent. I wasn't going to get it until I realized this scent works through siliage. Here I was sniffing my hand and thinking, "boy, this sure is a short-lived scent." I then left the store.

While I was walking through the parking lot, I began to smell the siliage of KL Homme. I pivoted and went back into TJ Maxx.

It is rich and spicy, along the lines of a frankincense & myrrh sort of scent. I think this is what Lagerfeld Classic should be. Where Lagerfeld Classic is confused and thus becomes a baby-powder scent (see also: Amorage Gold), KL Homme lets the spicy notes through. The actual duration of the scent is probably around 4 hours or so on me.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Yvan

Quote Originally Posted by laurent
    Hi,

I do have a funny fealing about discoutinued fragrances, *how old are they, where have they been stored and for how long. A very old fragrance might be complitely different from the original.
    There's always that risk; I just got a mini of Patou pour Homme, and I'm pretty sure it had gone bad. [smiley=sad.gif] But it's hardly worth paying the shipping charge to return one mini. That's happened with me a few times before with rare minis or discontinued scents. Or it might not be as potent as when it was new. It's a gamble.

Risky....Yes but if its good its so worth it!

I recently jumped on some older bottle of Lagerfeld Photo all are in perfect scent condition all were sealed too in their original boxes. I also think the black colored bottle helped too.

As for KL the bottles on the market now are new. The scent was re-released by Unilever about 2 years ago in a limited edition 2oz sprays.

The scent is worth it I feel that KL blows the classic Lagerfeld away. A classic soft oriental scent of sweet resins.

Photo is also a masterpiece!

Everywhere I look on the net says that Ricci Club is still in production.

I bought a bottle in the early 90's and absolutely loved it. Thanks for reminding me of it. I will shortly be ordering a bottle.

KL Homme is one of those fragrances that I bought in the past and actually was part of my regular rotation of fragrances but now question how I ever wore it!