Code of Conduct

Default L'Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme

For the first time, I used L'Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme, having received a miniture bottle of EDT splash when I purchased Habit Rouge in Bergdoff Goodman.

I think the scent is very very nice but overall it lacks ooomph. It lasts long enough though. My lady friend said that it was kind of weak, but then she said that the sesame cookies in a pastry shop in Little Italy this morning didn't have any taste, which they did. So maybe she is coming down with a cold or something.

At first I thought that maybe I didn't put enough on because it was from a miniature bottle, so right before lunch I went to Sephora on Broadway and Prince Street and sprayed some on.

It definitely reminds me of Obsession for Men and I agree with someone here who posted it was like Obsession on a diet minus 25 pounds or something to that effect.

I can see it being popular with the younger people, which is great since I think it smells really nice. But liking powerhouses like Habit Rouge, Caron Pour Une Homme and now Roma Uomo, I don't think I would purchase a bottle.

I will use up the little bottle, however, and maybe I may change my mind.

Serpent

Default Re: L'Instant De Guerlain Pour Homme

I'm going to echo a sentiment I've echoed with a lot of other fragrances: After sampling L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme more thoroughly - and finally being able to give it a full day's wearing - it reminds me of... Prada. I know, I know, everything reminds me of Prada, right? But the Prada scent is indicative of a trend, I think, and I go back to it as it's also the most high-profile of this family of fragrances. L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme also is of a kin with Costume National's Scent and Scent Intense; it has a lot of the same ingredients of both of the aforementioned Italian scents: patchouli, amber, as well as Scent's hibiscus seeds. Whereas Scent adds jasmine for a more floral rendition of this common patchouli-amber-wood, and Prada adds labdanum for a leathery take on it, L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme adds gourmand notes (the cocoa nib notes) for an oriental-leaning take. But the three fragrances all lean on the same base of golden wood, clear patchouli, and slightly pungent amber. Just as Prada and Scent are women's scents that can effortlessly be worn by men, there is nothing about L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme that keeps it from working well on a woman. The patchouli-amber-wood accord these three scents are build around is truly unisex.

Folks, I'm puzzled. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I honestly believe Luca Turin gave L'Instant a pretty flattering review. Shortly before we switched back to our home board, one of our members was kind enough to provide us all with a link to some of Turin's "Duftnote" articles in Die Zeitschrift Der Neuen Zürcher Zeitung. Since I don't read German, I've been feeding these things into several different on-line translators to try to make sense of them. While doing so, I came across his article (in the February 2005 issue) that was devoted to reviews of L'Instant and E. Lauder's Beyond Paradise (men). Here's the link:

http://www-x.nzz.ch/folio/archiv/200...es/parfum.html

Some of the sentences translate pretty clearly and seem unambiguously flattering. For instance, "The smell is like a perfect jump of [= "from" or "off"?] the ten-meter board." And, a little later, after noting echoes of earlier Guerlain classics in L'Instant, "...perfectly bended, perfect immersing, no splash, nothing. One wishes oneself immediately a repetition in slow motion." He then goes on to compare this fragrance, somehow, to an Adagio movement in a string quartet by Barber, which (to my shame) I do not recognize, at least by name. I think he means this comparison to be flattering as well, because (from my reading of The Emperor of Scent), Turin seems to be something of a fan of some pretty dissonant 20th century classical music. It's tough to be sure, however, since there is damned little that Samuel Barber ever wrote that floats my boat, and I'm an admirer of many of Barber's contemporaries.

If any of our members happens to speak German fluently enough to make sense of Turin's review of L'Instant, I would love to read a decent translation of this article. Even with the little snippets that I feel confident about, I am convinced that I need to dig out my sample vial of L'Instant and give it a few more tests. The first (and only) time I tried it, I was not repelled and I was not bored. I was profoundly confused... which probably should have told me that I needed to try it again a few more times.

Incidentally, if it seem to some folks here that I place undue stock in L. Turin's opinions, it is because I have found his tastes line up pretty well with mine (in scents only, not music!). For one thing, this is the man who steered me towards Patricia de Nicolai's New York, which remains to this day my most prized possession.

I agree with Mike on this. I thought the scent was excellent and very wearable but something was missing. I really hate when there is a scent which is so close to being excellent but it misses the mark for an ineffable reason.

It is definitely better than a lot of other new releases. There was perhaps a lack of dissonance; perhaps it was too linear for my taste. Then again, I only tried it once, and wouldn't mind sampling it again to give it another try. Argh!

At any rate, at least it was good to see a Guerlain being sold by a department store again, and not just the usual Issey/Armani/R Lauren/Aramis/Pi/Angel offerings. Of course, I don't expect to see it around for much longer unless it is a real splash.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava