Code of Conduct

Thread: Bulgari Black

Default Bulgari Black

Well, I went back to Nordstrom yesterday to continue my never ending fragrance search, and I wound up getting the 2.5 oz Bulgari Black. Seems very interesting - a leathery, almost rubber top that dries down to a smooth, refined vanilla base.

What do you guys think about this one?
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: Bulgari Black

I've tried this one many times and really like it but for some reason I don't own it. The initial rubber/smokey smell dries down to a nice vanilla just like you said.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I truly love this scent and in matter of fact i am wearing it today.
    6 sprays and it is still going strong.
    I have had comments such as "you smell heavenly" and "what the F*** is that, that is the best smell ever"

Smells like tea in the beginning and mellows down to a creamy vanilla smell.
    Two Thumbs up ;D

I also picked up the original Bulgari Por Homme, but I may return it. It really doesn't hold up next to the Black.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I love this one too. Never would have imagined that I'd like a fragrance with rubber notes!
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I guess I am the only dissenter here. It smells like burnt rubber to me.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Speaking of Bulgari Black: I have a bottle, almost full, but the spray system doesn't work anymore. It just got stuck and I can't spin it and use the spray. Has this happened to anyone ?

Thanks Ê

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    I guess I am the only dissenter here. It smells like burnt rubber to me.
    makes two now. Hate it, and the rubber note dominants the vanilla

This is a fantastic scent IMHO. I Love the Vanilla note and to me the rubber note was done just right. I am a Bvlgari fan and I do believe that this is a quality scent !!!
    Gary

I like this one! Rubber? Yes. Burnt Rubber? No. Burning rubber has an acrid, choking smell. This is a sweet, powdery, rubber smell.

IMO opinion one of the five best fragrances on the market today. Truly a head turner.

Love this scent!!! I actually find it comforting (must be the vanillic dry down) Smells great on me and on Hubby!

Serpent

Bulgari Black = Post-Apocalyptic Shalimar

The similarities to the old Guerlain are so striking. It's just the shock value top note of burnt rubber that's so Mad Max; the dry down really is just a chunkier, rougher rendition of Shalimar. And whereas the Guerlain seems smooth and distant, the Bulgari is a more urban, slightly sooty version. But Black is clearly cribbing quite heavily from Shalimar.

One of my all time faves and a great all round scent: avant garde smoky rubbery top notes smooth into a traditional vanilla-amber-sandalwood base. :-*
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

It«s great I agree. Such an icredibly crappy spray system though, haven«t encountered a single tester bottle yet without some kind of defect. The bottle looks really great though IMO.
    MMM

Thanks for reminding me about this one! I must look out for it again, I had a bottle when it was released and wore it to death. I don't usually like vanilla (or rubber for that matter) but both worked so well together in this very unusual scent.

Great use of tea as well - many tea scents don't smell very strongly of tea at all.

Anyone still wear Bulgari pour homme? I used to love that fragrance too...

I also bought the Pour Homme, but I've decided to return it. It's pleasant enought, but pales in comparison to the Black.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I like this a lot. I like the rubber notes and how they fade, and the smoky vanilla bit always makes me wonder if it's actually possible to caramelise ice cream. I find it really good for meetings as it doesn't seem to stray too far from me, and my boyfriend loves it on me He wears the Bulgari pour Homme that came with it.

You guys convinced me to give it another try. As I see it, this is an overwhelmingly popular cologne.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Mark me down as someone who also hates the spray mechanism. It seems to me that the fancier bottles become, the more likely they are to break.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

My BF and I hated this one, it smelled like burning tires. I have also heard several complaints about the defective sprayers.

Tara

If you want to take one step further then try Dzing! Better lasting power and much, much more sex...........

Mic.

Anybody want to make a charitable contribution of Dzing! to one of the uninitiated? PAY IT FORWARD PEOPLE!!!! LOL.

Well, if you do, please send me a PM. Thanks!
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

Funny, my Black atomizer sucks too. And I wasn't yet able to repair it. But back to the scent. I really like the smoky tea note and the vanilla notes. It was one of my favourites until I discovered Comme des Garcons Series 1: Tea. A similar smoked-tea note, but even stronger and no sweet vanilla notes. A little strange at first, but now I prefer the CdG.

I like Bvlgari Black a lot, but I've often criticised it for not lasting long enough. And it still doesn't on me.

But yesterday my ladyfriend asked me for some perfume before we went out. So she used my bottle and gave herself a few sprays of Bvlgari Black.

Well over 10 hours later, after she'd had a shower, she still smelled quite noticeably of Bvlgari Black.

Beats me why the difference in strength, as most EDTs are pretty long lasting on me.
    Renato

Well, as is frequently been the case with me, I start out loving a fragrance only to discover shortly thereafter that I actually hate it. *LOL.

Since the time I started this thread, I continued to wear the Black with diminishing returns. *To be honest, although I originally thought the rubber was an interested top note, I started to feel a wave of nausea set in when I would put it on. *I found the drydown to be unspectacular, winding up with an average vanillic base. *In a word, yuck! *

I think I'm doomed to stick with the arguably niche frag houses like Creed, Bond No. 9 and LV.
    TOP 10
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma

I love black too...starts out strongly left of center with that burnt rubber note, and once that is gone, the astringent tea and dying down to vanilla by night. I love how long it stays on me. Quite avant-garde for Bvlgari, whose complete range I adore (and own for the most part).

Yup, one of my favourites for evening wear, but i don't use it quite so often now because i stick to Armani Night most of the time. Need to break it out again!

I love it. My eyes roll back in my head. "Rubber and smoke" is poetry to me.

It smells of darkness. And sex. But not animal sex... maybe it's machine sex. Did anybody see "crash," the David Cronenberg/J.G. Ballard movie, not the current one? All the characters in that movie would hurl themselves at anybody wearing this scent.

And it's just so not-like-everything-else. For which I am grateful.

You need two spritzes, though, to really "get it." If the rubber and smoke don't whomp you on the head, you're not there yet.

I jsut got this in a swap recently and I love it and have been wearing it a lot. It starts out smelling like rubber and leather and drys down to a nice vanilla/leather scent. It lasts about 6-8 hours on me too.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!