Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a slightly warmer scent

Hi. I'm 25 years old, and I'm pretty understated, casual. This is my current collection of fragrances:

Bulgari Blu Notte
    Bulgari pour Homme
    AzzaroChrome
    Drakkar Noir
    Emporio Armani He
    Gendarme
    Gendarme V
    Clinique Happy for Men
    Sonia Rykiel Homme

My most worn scents are Gendarme and Bulgari PH. As you can see, my taste leans heavily toward the light, clean, cool side. I have a pretty strong aversion to scents that are very sweet (like most gourmands), spicy, or musky. However, I'd like to take some baby steps toward expanding my wardrobe.

So, with my current collection in mind, do you have any suggestions about some scents that are slightly "warmer" but still fairly "clean"? Something a bit more formal, mature, but not overbearing or overpowering. Since I love Gendarme, I tried Grabazzi but didn't like it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Looking for a slightly warmer scent

I would try Guerlain L'Instant PH. It may be what your looking for.

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Weclome aboard!
    Habit Rouge EDT - well balanced oriental-powdery leather. Wouldn't call it clean.

Zino - Fits like a glove. Resinous, subtle with the spices. Very refined. Also wouldn't call it clean.

Paco Rabanne - Heavy but clean. Use cautiously. Leathery - lavenderish. If worn in the right amount, suitable for aany occasion, just as your Gendarme V is.

Yang - Probably exactly what you're looking for. Kind of like SMW + Bulgari + touch of spices.

Ungaro I - Subtle oriental (at least on me). Pronounced cinnamon note. Damn hard to find.

LV Spezie - One of my favorite straightforward orientals. Complex, and well known to be subtle. Pricey, but one of the few niche IMHO that is worth it.

Kouros Fraicheur - Not to be mistaken with the original. Clean citrusy note with a touch of the original to make it recognizable. Subtle vetiver note lingers through the day.

Baldessarini - possibly too strong for you, but reeks of class. Pasha may be a bit more tamed down and a better choice, though I think lacks spices. (Pasha tends towards florals, Baldessarini towards spices.)

Cuiron - a bit difficult to describe. For some damn reason I'm recommending it probably because it is so different from what you have and very well balanced. Spices are there, but not overpowering.

Hope this helps... subtle orientals are hard to come by in my book. Out of what I mentioned, I'd run with Yang & Spezie.
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by K
    Weclome aboard!

Ungaro I - Subtle oriental (at least on me). Pronounced cinnamon note. Damn hard to find.

I guess this is your lucky day. Try
    www.parfum1.com for $23.95 for a 1.7oz bottle.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

GnuGnuAntiloop

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc

Jeff
    I second that! You may also want to try Obsession Night. If it lasts on you, it will do wonders [smiley=cool.gif]

Cheers,
    Tero

Quote Originally Posted by K
    Yang - Probably exactly what you're looking for. Kind of like SMW + Bulgari + touch of spices.
    I second this recommendation.

I'll also suggest checking out Visit, which should be easy to find for sampling at retail (which Yang will not be). Its by Azzaro and very warm, with lots of pepper, incensne and cedar. Its not sweet, very dry and though I wouldn't say "clean" per se, still something that might fit what you are seeking.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc

Jeff
    I second this plus CerrutiSi.

I'd recommend:
    * S.T. Dupont Signature
    * Chanel Antaeus
    * Lagerfeld Photo

I also love the Azzaro Visit. You might also try Gucci Envy, Dolce & Gabbana pour homme, and Kenneth Cole Black.

Must de Cartier Essence
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Guerlain Héritage

" I think you might like it. Affordable, accessible and yet, not popular, especially with guys your age. (Some call it "mature. I call it pure class.)

If fact, any of the Guerlain fragrances (Vetiver, Habit Rouge, L'Instant) would add a new dimensione to your current collection.

And now that I think of it, maybe you might also sample some of the Creed line. Green Irish Tweed or Silver Mountain Water...

Griff
    Griff

Hey. I also love Bvlgari Pour Homme (it's the scent that got me into this hobby) and also wear Gendarme. I'll try to suggest a broad spectrum of things you might like. This is in no particular order.

SMW. It's along the lines of Bvlgari with the tea note, but it is warmer and works well in all climates.

Cuiron: the first leather scent I loved. The real gem in this is the really cool orange note which is prominent in the mid and basenotes.

Rochas Lui: some people compare it to habit rouge. I don't see that, but I love the cedar in it and is a great winter scent.

Bvlgari Black: One of the best scents on the market today. If you like Bvlgari (as it appears you do) this is a must try

Another vote for Azzaro Visit. A warm, inviting scent that's not too sweet.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd like to comment on some of them...

Azzaro Visit - The initial spice/incense notes were a bit much for me, so a little too strong
    Cuiron - I liked much of this scent, but there was something "off" smelling about it.
    SMW and GIT - I like these, but not quite what I'm looking for at the moment
    Yang - Haven't tried this one, but the multiple reccomendations definitley put it on my "to sample" list.
    The Guerlains - I've tried a bunch, but don't really remember them much. Vetiver looks promising, not sure about the others. I'm a little scared by the reviews of Heritage, as the three basenote reviews all emphasize how "mature" the scent smells.
    Obsession Night - I'm usually not too impressed by CK fragrances, but i'll have to try this one

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Hi,

Please allow me to bump this thread, as I was really enjoying the responses before it got cut off by the discussion board shut down. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Now that we are into June, I feel like it's even more of a challenge to find a scent with a bit of warmth and spice that's still suitable (for me!) for summer weather. One fragrance that I've given some thought to is Carolina Herrera's 212 on Ice for men. It has some of the spice and woodiness of the original, but it's tempered with fresher notes as well. I remember trying it many years ago and liking it, but for whatever reason, I never bought it. Do you have any thoughts on 212 on Ice? I think it might be a good choice, especially for these warmer months. Also, does anyone know the story behind the old (blue) and the new (green) 212 on Ice? Do they smell diff. from each other?

Also, I've recently been in the mood for an "untraditional" smelling fragrance, and I've narrowed my focus to Bulgari Black (which I've always appreciated but is starting to grow on me) and the Comme des Garcons line. For the CdG, I haven't tried any of their parfums/series, but I did try some of their earlier fragrances (white, 2, odeur 53, odeur 71), and I remember being very intrigued with a couple of them, but I've since relocated and can never find any places that carry CdG for me to sample. Does anyone know of a retailer in the Denver, CO area that carries even a part of Comme des Garcons line? Or do I have to resort to buying samples and decants online?

Thanks for all your help. I really want to try Yang, soon!

Ok, you're gonna have to look at the Oriental family of scents. First off, these are some scents that are very understated, perhaps even with heavy application and they go immediately to a sweet ambery drydown that lingers:
    1. Jacomo Paradox
    2. Armani Black Code
    3. Paco Rabanne Ultraviolet Man

Then there is the classic citruses that will have the body and maturity you're looking for.
    1. Eau de Cartier
    2. Capucci pour Homme
    3. Caron L'Anarchiste
    4. Cassini for Men
    5. Lacoste (original)

Also look to the Musks (ranked in term of strength).
    1. Helmut Lang EDP
    2. Burberry Touch
    3. Rykiel Homme Grey
    4. Body Shop White Musk

I don't recall ever seeing a retailer stocking CdG. My guess would be that if anyplace would stock it, it would be Nordstroms or Nieman Marcus. But take a look at luckyscent.com for samples; I think they go for appx $3 a shot.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]