Code of Conduct

Default New: Paco Rabanne Black XS.

WWD.com

PARIS — Paco Rabanne is targeting bad boys with hearts of gold with Black XS, starting this summer.

The brand, which is owned by Barcelona-based Puig Beauty & Fashion Group, will introduce the scent as a follow-up to its 1993 XS men's fragrance.

The new scent targets a young consumer, aged 18 to 25 years old, compared with XS' core consumer, who is about 35.

"It's the man of the 21st century, explained a la Rabanne," said Vincent Thilloy, international marketing director at Paco Rabanne Parfums. "He's a sensitive bad boy."

To illustrate such duality, the word "black" is written in gothic lettering and is intertwined with roses on the scent's tall black bottle.

The Black XS flacon, which is of heavy glass decorated with vertical grooves, is topped with a black flip-top cap.

The fragrance's advertising also attempts to capture the multiple facets of the 21st-century man. Shot by photographer Matthew Brookes, the campaign features model Will Chalker.

"In the visual, we wanted to show the very sensual side of the Black XS man, but also the bad boy side," said Thilloy.

The print ad will break as single and double pages, as well as posters. The campaign will be accompanied by a sampling effort that will include vials.

Black XS' juice, a fresh sensual woody, was concocted by Firmenich's Olivier Cresp. It features top notes of Calabrian lemon, kalamanzi, tagete and sage; heart notes of cinnamon, tolu balm, black cardamom and praline, and base notes of palissandre wood, black amber, patchouli and ebony wood.

The eau de toilette will be available as 50- and 100-ml. sprays that will retail in France for 39 euros and 49 euros, respectively, or $48 and $60 at current exchange. The ancillary line comprises a 100-ml. aftershave lotion for 40 euros, or $49; a 100-ml. shower gel for 21 euros, or $26; a 150-ml. deodorant spray for 21 euros, or $26, and a 75-gram deodorant stick for 18 euros, or $22.

Thilloy declined to give sales projections. However, industry sources estimate the fragrance will generate 20 million to 30 million euros, or $24 million to $37 million, in wholesale volume its first year on counter.

The fragrance will be introduced at the end of July in France and will be launched internationally in September through October.

Default Re: New: Paco Rabanne Black XS.

Thanks for the info Cedric!
    I want to be a sensitive bad boy too. I'm a bit off target age-wise though.

GnuGnuAntiloop

WOW! The notes sound like Black XS would not bare much resemblance to the original one, which I think is only a positive thing - I'm so bored with the evercoming derivates of one scent (thinking about Kouros for example), which after all smell SOOOO very close to their "big brother". Besides the interesting notes I also fancy the font they have used in the name - that looks so gothic and fits the Black theme very well, don't you think? *

It looks indeed that the Black theme is very IN now. We already have Armani Black, Kenneth Cole Black and in September Polo Black is going to be released. Hmmm, I just wonder when we are going to have the pink theme in men's scents - LOL *[smiley=grin.gif].

Thanks again for the info Ced - as always it's much appreciated!

-T-

Yup, Black is in! My next purchase is actually gonna be Aigner Black. [smiley=wink.gif]

as alway thank you Ced for the info.

I must say I really like the ad its well done. and duh about time someone puts black in goth letters! its a darkside.

once I read praline.....well I want!

sad XS is not sold in the USA anymore.....

Revisited original XS a few days ago, I still find the similarity to Creeds Himalaya striking. In other words -a great scent. The notes for Black do sound good, experience has taught me not to expect to much from new releases unfortunately...

MMM

this actually kind of sounds good, I can't wait to try this one

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Revisited original XS a few days ago, I still find the similarity to Creeds Himalaya striking.
    YES! ! ! ! ! That's it! I always felt Himalaya reminded me of something else and it's XS, isn't it?!?!

marlen

I just tried this one by tester today. I thought this one was pretty new actually.. but it looks like Diesel's Fuel for Life is a better version of this XS Black.
    unico grande amore.

thread necromancy!

Jeez man, you dug up a thread from 2005 only to ad two sentences?
    And all that for Black XS . Doesn´t make sense, you could have started a new thread just as well
    For a moment I thought Milamber and Scenteur were back, speaking of voices from the past.

Black XS is ok. A self duplication of D&G Light Blue (Women) by the same perfumer Olivier Cresp. It´s just that.
    Last edited by eric; 1st March 2009 at 08:27 PM.

why make a new thread for writing just 2 senteces.
    unico grande amore.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wüst View Post
    I just tried this one by tester today. I thought this one was pretty new actually.. but it looks like Diesel's Fuel for Life is a better version of this XS Black.
    I own both and don't find them similar.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.

XS Black is a repulsive cheap smelling fragrance. yuck
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt View Post
    Revisited original XS a few days ago, I still find the similarity to Creeds Himalaya striking. In other words -a great scent.
    Yup. Original XS is a mintier Himalaya with more piney-juniper-berry and less waxy/gris in the base, of course. Black XS is just cheap tacky fruit bubblegum

Oh Why Do I Love XS Black?.....I must be destine to live in a trailer park and have a 65 Mustang on cinder blocks sitting on the front lawn!

Black XS went out in 2005!!!!

Last edited by Paco Sweet; 2nd March 2009 at 12:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Oh Why Do I Love XS Black?.....I must be destine to live in a trailer park and have a 65 Mustang on cinder blocks sitting on the front lawn!
    No you're destined to wear sequenced vinyl with shocking pink accessories....
    Sorry guys who like this but I can never resist making a joke about this one. I received it as a gift and my reaction to first smelling this still puts tears in my eyes.
    Last edited by cpk; 2nd March 2009 at 09:11 AM. Reason: typo

scentimus, not offense intended.
    To me XS Blacks is horrible, I gave it away in less than 48 hours. I like Xs so much that XS Black seemed like blasphemy. Cheap synthetic cool aid tropical fruit juice gone bad.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Four year bump, holy crap. Not really a fan of XS black either.

why make a new thread for writing just 2 senteces.
    Touche!
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I don't know why people get so worked up over others bumping older threads. I have a sample of this coming in the mail and I should get it sometime this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I don't know why people get so worked up over others bumping older threads. I have a sample of this coming in the mail and I should get it sometime this week.
    I don't get it either.. it's not like this fragrance is gone because it's 2005.
    unico grande amore.

When I wear this, I make sure to use the shower gel. It brings out the spice and the rose notes a lot more on my skin. I still smell the strawberry and green apple but they're not as prominent.

I really love it and think it's a great scent for the lower price that it sells at. When I first got my tester, I used it all up just spraying it into the air and smelling - the next day I had to go find myself a bottle, hahah.
    Last edited by dynendal; 2nd March 2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    When I wear this, I make sure to use the shower gel. It brings out the spice and the rose notes a lot more on my skin. I still smell the strawberry and green apple but they're not as prominent.

I really love it and think it's a great scent for the lower price that it sells at. When I first got my tester, I used it all up just spraying it into the air and smelling - the next day I had to go find myself a bottle, hahah.
    Lower price? It costs as much as other designer fragrances..
    unico grande amore.

Lower price? It costs as much as other designer fragrances..
    Hmm, that's weird. Here in Canada at The Bay, one 100ml is much cheaper than a 50ml of anything else, and it usually comes with 3 extra tubes (shower gel, aftershave, etc) in a tin can.

Marketing is funny like that, I guess.
    Last edited by dynendal; 2nd March 2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Hmm, that's weird. Here in Canada at The Bay, one 100ml is much cheaper than a 50ml of anything else, and it usually comes with 3 extra tubes (shower gel, aftershave, etc) in a tin can.

Marketing is funny like that, I guess.
    Wow.. shops here.. it's 30+ euros.. like many other designer fragrances.
    unico grande amore.

I am feeling a Black XS scent synchronization day for Basenoter's....... Can you feel the love!

black xs is a classical "young man" frgarance gone good......it has depth and power that 99.9999999% of "youthful" scents are missing and the overly sweet initial tones are soon replaced by deep, wonderful amber........
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com