Code of Conduct

Default need advices please

hello guys, i'm a 26 years old french-canadian (tell you 'cause you will notice my english is not perfect) from quebec and i found this forum last night. I had read few posts and review from you in this message board and I think it's a good place to get information. So what bring me there was this: last week my father gave me his bottles of eau de toilette because he didnt like to wear it anymore, so i tried each of them and i dont like it very much

the stuff is:

Chanel Egoiste (tends to smell like old syrup after hours)

Paco Rabanne (strong scent, a kinda old thats remind me my dad when i was a child)

Tommy Hilfiger (i found this one feminine a bit)

Polo by Ralph Lauren (it smells like a leather jacket soaked in "Pine-sol", very unpleasant feeling, i had to take a shower right after)

Obsession by Calvin Klein (I didnt like it that much)

what i want it's a EDT or after-shave casual, something new and appropiate for my age. you might laugh but i'm another of these people who like "anti-fragrance", sport and mass market scents. I want something not formal, fresh, new and easily accepted if i'd to go anywhere. of course, i could keep using my Aqua Velva balm but i'm open to invest into a good product. it's like to replace a Timex by a swiss watche, both do the same job but it's two worlds.

I heard about Cool Water, Polo Blue/Sport, Escada Magnetism, Thierry Mugler... if you have some idea about what could be in my tastes, that will be appreciate,
    kind regards

Why So Serious?

Default Re: need advices please

Polo Blue sounds good to me. Try Gendarme, Clean Men, Creed Original Vetiver and Adidas Moves.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_S
    Chanel Egoiste (tends to smell like old syrup after hours)

Paco Rabanne (strong scent, a kinda old thats remind me my dad when i was a child)

Tommy Hilfiger (i found this one feminine a bit)

Polo by Ralph Lauren *(it smells like a leather jacket soaked in "Pine-sol", very unpleasant feeling, i had to take a shower right after)

Obsession by Calvin Klein (I didnt like it that much)
    Haha... I love it! Fantastic descriptions!

Edit: should probably recommend something too:
    Cool Water - yes
    Acqua di Gio - perhaps your best bet?
    also try some of the Calvin Klein or Adidas lines

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_S
    what i want it's a EDT or after-shave casual, something new and appropiate for my age. you might laugh but i'm another of these people who like "anti-fragrance", sport and mass market scents. I want something not formal, fresh, new and easily accepted if i'd to go anywhere. of course, i could keep using my Aqua Velva balm but i'm open to invest into a good product. it's like to replace a Timex by a swiss watche, both do the same job but it's two worlds.
    Since we seem to have similar tastes I would highly recommend that you try some of the Comme des Garcons fragrances. I have, and love, Odeur 53, Peppermint from the Sherbet series, Skai from the Synthetic series, CdG 3, and I have tried CdG 2 Man and really enjoyed it. Not all of these smell highly synthetic, but to my nose at least they don't really smell like cologne either. They just smell really good and quite interesting.

I will say that some of the CdG fragrances I like I hated the first time I tried them, so if you tremendously dislike one try it again before you give up on it. Some of these scents are just so unexpected, so unusual, so novel, that I think your nose doesn't quite know what to do with them the first time around.

Ok,i think that a good options are:

*Zanzibar VC&A
    *Eau du Coq by Guerlain
    *Aqua Carolina Herrera.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Polo Blue sounds good to me. *Try Gendarme, Clean Men, Creed Original Vetiver and Adidas Moves.
    Polo Blue and Gendarme are great choices IMO.

I agree with all of the above recommendations, especially AdG. I'll add L'Eau d'Issey to the list. Also check out Halston Unbound and Swiss Army as less pricey alternatives to the AdG.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I agree with AdG and deffinately Cool Water because they are two of my favorites from that type you are looking into. I also would agree with Polo Sport. I used to have some but it's a small splash bottle so I don't use it. I'll send you some if you'd like to try it out on your skin. Good luck with the hunt.

Agree with the Unbound.
    Armani Mania
    Kouros Cologne Sport Eau d'Ete

I'll throw in Horizon as an outlier. The stuff is practically etherial in nature.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

hello guys, what a lot of fragrances out there, moreover the old colognes appear new to me since I did'nt pay much attention to this before I start spraying differents products I have. What I've got isn't that bad, I like to think there are appropriate colognes for each events. I've been a little too much sarcastic and it's impolite in my comments about Egoiste and Polo, some people might be offended so I apologize. I'm not connaisseur in fragrances so your help was greatly useful. I'd read reviews about colognes in this sites but I still don't know what to think about that. Paco Rabanne appear to be a keeper even if this is a cologne from 1973, I have two bottle of this so I just can't flush them and I like the scent, it's fairly bold and clean. After further thoughts, I will give a try to Polo Blue, CK One and CK Be. I know there a lot of people who don't like "unisex" fragrances, and CK Be appear to be feminine for the taste of many but despite this fact, I'm confident nobody will yell me "hey cutie, ready for the Gay Pride?" as I'm not affraid to hear "so... you're a janitor?" when I wear Paco Rabanne.
    I'm also very attracted by Polo Sport, I guess it's the America Cup stylish bottle and the advertissement but I fear to become bored to smell "aquatic". I gonna add my comments about my future purchases later.

by the way, do you thrust websites like fragrancenet.com to buy colognes? they seem to be cheaper than "authorized dealers" at mall.