Code of Conduct
    Yvan

Default Chanel pour Monsieur original not sold in stores?!

Over the years, I've been fickle regarding Chanel pour Monsieur "Original" and even gave it away once. But having been around the block in testing so many scents, I decided it's something I need in my collection and wanted it "now," so I called up Nordstrom's and asked if they had it. A young guy on the other end asked another SA, "Say, do we carry a Chanel pour something or other?" Not the best start. They had it, so I went there, but they only had the Concentree version. Same story at Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue...they have the Concentree, but not the original. The SA at Macy's said she worked for Chanel for several years, and that there's no difference between the Original and the Concentree. I told her I've worn both and there is. Anyone know why the major department stores aren't carrying the Original anymore? Just a poor seller? Hard to believe with a classic like this.

Serpent

Default Re: Chanel pour Monsieur original not sold in stor

You're going to have a hard time finding this stateside, mon ami: Even Chanel itself doesn't sell the original formula of Pour Monsieur in America. You can find it in odd places, like some of the stores in Garment District in L.A. And generally the after shave products for Pour Monsieur you'll find at Sephora are the original scent while the scent itself is the Concentrée. (The tip-off that it's the original is that the bottle for the original is more square, like the No. 5 eau de toilette bottles, while the Concentrée bottles are oblong.) Another place to look is eBay. I've sometimes seen the metal travel flacons of Pour Monsieur offered there; those are also the original formula.

Yvan

Thanks for the info, Serpent. I'm a bit stunned as to why it isn't so widely available, but it looks like several internet sites have it. That'll teach me to give away a bottle!

MJH

Like Serp says, it's very difficult to locate in the US: even on Gloss.com, they offer Pour Monsieur, while they're really selling the Concentree, which (as you know) is a wholly different scent. I bought my bottle on eBay, after several false starts, beginning with me E-mailing the seller and asking them whether or not it's the Concentree.

I think we're seeing the same kind of marketing to the US market that keeps Platinum Égoïste on the shelves while the original Égoïste is a stateside rarity, since I know that's not the situation outside the US.

I would love to swap for a decant (or a sample, at least) of the original CpM. Anyone?

Default Re: Chanel pour Monsieur original not sold in sto

Over here is Europe, we have no problem with the original not being available.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I know that Ric, a member here and a Chanel lover has not problem getting this at the Chanel boutique in Canada,(Toronto, I think). You may want to give them a call to get some fresh stock, assuming it is possible for them to ship Stateside without any problems because I know getting stuff into Canada can be problematic. I think I recall Ric saying that they do ship several bottles at a time to lovers of CpM original in the States. I'd give that a shot because while it can be had farily easily online, I think your taking a chance on getting a bottle that may not be 100% fresh stock.

However you get it, I agree that it's an amazing scent that I never want to be without.

Eric

Chanel pour Monseiur (non concentree?) Try here!

Look, in the interest of full disclosure, yes, I do work for the place but, if you are looking for hard-to-find fragrances, you should always at least check the most obvious source!

Griff
    Griff

sorry wrong topic...

Quote Originally Posted by evogel
    *I know that Ric, a member here and a Chanel lover .....
    hey Thanks Eric - thankfully the original is still widely available here. From the department stores to even some drug stores feature both concentree and original. I'm starting to really like the concentree after a considerable amount of time having it sitting in the back of my collection - but the original I've always thought takes the cake, its just a very romantic fragrance, simple - but well done. I sure hope it stays here!! Egoiste original is still available too, but only at the discounters, and finding it - it can be few and far between (got backups) . Thank GOD antaeus is still everywhere - jeez, hate to go OT, but if they yank that one here, I'd go ballistic.

Yvan

It's nice to know other guys like this too. *I realize that there are many other scents that are more interesting, intriguing and daring than this one. *Some might say it's even boring. *But having tried so many, it's like this is one of a few that really hit the bullseye the most for me...citrusy with a bit of moss and maybe light wood is how I remember it. *Comfy like a pair of old shoes, but like you say, Ric, romantic...and good for the office too, I think. I think of it as one of the best all-purpose scents I've tried.