Code of Conduct

Default Teenager's first fragrance - suggestions?

Hi board,
    Over the years, I've bought numerous male fragrances for my boyfriend (we're in our forties), but now I'd like to give my son his first cologne for his fifteenth birthday...I'm at a loss. *

What is a safe, younger fragrance? *perhaps summery (warm in houston already) and clean.

Thanks in advance guys!

Why So Serious?

Default Re: Teenager's first fragrance - suggestions?

Tommy T comes to mind immediately.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I'd pick Mugler Cologne by Thierry Mugler.

It's a nice, light, citrusy scent with a hint of white musk that its all of your descriptions perfectly. I'm 18 and this is one of my favorites and probably my most-used fragrance.

As for availability, you can get it at Nordstrom or Saks, among other places. (Thierry Mugler's website at www.thierrymugler.com has a store locator under the "You and Us" section.)
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Hack
    Tommy T comes to mind immediately.

Woah, that is the exact same thing I thought of. I suggest Tommy T also because it is deffinately the type for the age he is at. Plus he'll smell damn good.

Another vote here for Tommy 'T'.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I say Lancome Miracle or Chanel Allure. It will set him apart from all the "clean, fresh" mass-market stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Hugo Boss in Motion or Body Kouros would be perfect. I got these for my secretary's teenage son and he loves them.

I wish wish wish I had known The Dreamer by Versace way back in my teenage years. It would have suited me 100% perfect (freedom as a state of mind, don't care attitude, always passive - neutral and who are you basically?). What might have been the best choice for me then, just might be the perfect choice for others as well.

I'm sure I would be another person if I had known The Dreamer in my teenage years. Yes, that's a compliment.

(I just realize the lauch year of The Dreamer was 1996. Waaay to late then anyway. LOL!)
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Well,my teenager's years *said *[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif],i remenber Armani pour homme en mi juventud ,but my suggestion is:

*Higher by Dior
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Acqua di Gio ... hands down. Besides all the bashing here, still one of the best smelling (IMHO) ... and best selling ... fragrances ever made.

I'm too old to wear it now but I keep a bottle around just to spritz myself at home to remember how good it was to wear ... when I could.

I think it's much better than Tommy T.

I recommend CK One. Perfect for summer.

All of the above are great suggestions (aint Tommy T discontinued now?)

I'd like to add Boss in Motion (Blue) Edition.

Very crisp, fresh clean scent great for summer. Along the lines of L'Eau Dissey but much crisper and tamed.

[smiley=cool.gif]

Overcome By Fumes

It's my 40's-ish opinion that Tommy is an infinitely better fragrance than T. Others I think are excellent for the fresh young crowd include Azzaro Chrome and Escada Silver Light.

Chanel Allure Sport and Live Jazz by Y.S.L. would be nice too.

I'd suggest the stuff I wore when I was a teenager; Polo, Z-14, Lagerfeld, etc... But that'd probably get him some bizzare reactions from his peer group. I'm old I tell ya!

:0P

Another immediate thought for Tommy T, but of course, I'm wearing it today so that is part of the reason why. Amongst the "fresh and clean" scents, I'd say this is my favorite in terms of overall value. Its inexpensive, easy to wear and very casual.

Mugler's Cologne is also highly recommended by me, especially when used with the shower gel, which is the best one I've found.

The Gendarme line is also an obvious choice, but I hate the fact I can barely smell it on myself an hour after putting it on. I know its still there, just difficult to detect. They also don't come cheap.

I'd say the most overrated is Clean, which at $79, is astronomically over priced relative to what you get IMHO. I think all the above are much better choices for the money and for the scent.

Finally, I'll say that I truly enjoy Happy for Men. The extended line of products (after shave balm, shower gel) are all well crafted and scented. It lives up to the name with a very bright and care free mood attached to the scent. The beginning is overly sweet, but give it 15 minutes and that disappears for me. The blend of mandarin with light kisses of lime and soft woods on the drydown are very uplifting to me. A summer staple.

Tommy T would definitely be a good choice, another one I could imagine is Lacoste Red or Aramis Ice, which is subtle, fresh and clean.

I would say Hanae Mori. It is magical when applied lightly.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

I say green irish tweed, a little overbearing, but it is amazing in the summer months.

I vote (yet again) for Chrome by Azzaro. Someone mentioned CkOne which smells VERY similar to Chrome but I find Chrome to be a bit more masucline, have longer lasting power and a better drydown. I wouldnt say its only for teens as I wear it in my twenties and plan too for as long as I can pull it off, but I see myself saving it for the sunniest of days when I get into my late twenties.

Chrome is great though, it is like breathing in the freshest breath of air imaginable it is perfect for us in the classroom simply because it simply wont make itself overbearing. Its on the low end of price as far designer frags go. Even though it has been suggested here 3 or 4 times already I can all but assure that he will be the only one wearing it at his school considering it is above the lower price bracket for scents and is not named Acqu Di Gio, Cool Water and doesnt have the words Polo, Tommy or Hugo in them. Not that any of those scents are bad (Own one of each that I just spoke of) but when your young its nice to be set apart. Esspcially with how you smell.

For some reason, 212 by Carolina Herrera came to my mind first.
    Light and clean with a bit more body and sensuality than things like Cologne or Gendarme,(which are still excellent choices). I think that 212 will get noticed a bit more and possibly elicit some positive reactions that are so important at 15....or any age.

Eric [smiley=grin.gif]

When I was around 15 I picked Hugo Boss hugo for myself. I still think it's quite decent and also my most complimented scent (also the one I've used most so...). I think of the ones mentioned Chrome, Tommy T and both In Motions would be nice as well but if I'd have to name just one fragrance I'd definitelly have to say Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme.

Well I am now 16 and have just recently left the world of wearing only things from Abercrombie (Fierce is still one of my favorites but it also seems to be the favorite of all my friends so it doesnt stick out), so perhaps I can help by telling you what I have found that I have liked. Currently the only two "full sized" bottles of cologne I have seen worthy of buying are The Dreamer and Black Jeans both by Versace.

The Dreamer- I have to say that I dont think many other teens would enjoy wearing The Dreamer because it is a more sophisticated smell that isnt as (for lack of better words) fun as other colognes. I just wear it for when I have to get dressed up for something, but it all depends on the person I suppose.

Black Jeans- I honestly bought this stuff because I thought the name sounded cool, because the reviews were not bad, and because it is discontinued and thus even less likely anyone else would have it. I do like it because it starts with a really bold smell that doesn’t smell cheap. Also, try looking at all the rest of the "Jeans" line. The line seems to have been directed at teens after all, it was priced lower and put in those bottles to attract a younger crowd.

Other than that, it depends on the person. If your son does not care to stick out, look into the Tommy T and the like (Abercrombie, Adidas). But, if you wish for him to have something not so mainstream, you might wish to stay away from those. Otherwise the same problem of everyone having it might arise... Hopefully this was helpful.

Without a doubt, Acqua Di Gio comes to my mind, and if his looking for something a little bit sophisticated for evening and night wear, try Dolce and Gabbana PH.

some other to keep in mind

Tommy T or Tommy
    Polo Blue
    Boss #6
    and other already metioned already

Serpent

I see lots of these light, synthetic scents mentioned, stuff that every other kid wears, but why does he necessarily have to have what every other kid wears?

I do like the aforementioned Live Jazz, but I also think a young guy could pull off the original Jazz. *It's golden and warm but not at all heavy or too sophisticated for a young guy. *He'll definitely stand out from the crowd, too, who are all wearing things smelling just like Tommy T...

I would recommend Claiborne Sport or Polo Blue. Girls love them.