Code of Conduct

Default D&G Sicily and Caleche

Hi

In my search for my favorite soapy fragrance I heard about D&G Sicily and Hermes Caleche, but my question is if anyone tried them and if they are wearable by men.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: D&G Sicily and Caleche

Hmm, I remember that Caleche is a classic chypre fragrance, comparable to Chanel no.19. Some members here have written, that No.19 IS wearable by men. Give it a try, you might like it.
    Sicily is a little more difficult IMO. I got it, because I love to smell it, but I've only worn it once. It doesn't work very well with me. I'm waiting for the male version to be released later this year.

I just got Caleche and haven't really test driven it yet, but is seems an aldehydic, woody, chypre that could be worn by a man. But then again, I wear Miss Dior, so my sensibilities might be slightly skewed!

I am very familiar with Caleche, which can be called soapy in the sense that generally, in a fragranced soap, the scent possesses the same unvarying, linear quality. Caleche is a (white) floral aldehydic, much less original than Diorissimo, and apparently concocted with Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps in mind.

In any case, 'soapy' would not be the first term springing to mind upon smelling a man wearing this one: while I'm all against gender pigeonholing, it is a fact that this kind of fragrance is exclusively targeted to women, so be warned. In any case, Caleche has to my nose absolutely nothing in common with Chanel 19, not in the cyphre sense anyway. I called Rive Gauche a cyphre once on these threads and I was wrong. Caleche is as much a cyphre as Rive Gauche is.

If you're looking for classy female cyphrees, why not try Sisley's Eau de Soir?

I have Sicily but somehow always forget to wear it. A good 'soapy' frag which you don't have in your wardrobe and I would like to suggest is Paco Rabanne pour Homme.

Ok. I am wearing Caleche today for a real test drive. It is clearly, but not harshly, aldehydic, and this, to me, does make it "soapy" in character.

The main notes I get from this as of now are: citrus, aldehydes, and woods. I do think it could be worn by a man, unless you think that aldehydes are "perfumy" or "old lady." It does not have any screaming floral notes.

The thing it has in common with Chanel No. 19 is the iris (orris), but it is not a ringer for No 19 by any means.

Here are the notes:

Top note : Aldehydes, Bergamot, Lemon, Neroli

Middle note : Rose, Jasmine, Lily of the valley, Orris

Base note : Oakmoss, Cedarwood, Sandal, Vetiver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Leo
    Caleche is as much a cyphre as Rive Gauche is.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the combination of citrus notes, floral notes and woody notes (especially notes like oakmoss) is typical for chypre fragrances. I'm not very familiar with Rive Gauche, so I can't say much about it, but I do know for sure, that Caleche is a classic chypre fragrance. And I was wrong, No.19 isn't. No.19 is a floral-green fragrance, I confused it with Cristalle.

I have good success with Sicily.... I like this scent alot. The lasting power is fantastic with my skin, and the soapy scent of this is very appealing to me.
    I also am waiting for the men's version to be launched. I must admit that this is one scent that I am really excited about....
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the combination of citrus notes, floral notes and woody notes (especially notes like oakmoss) is typical for chypre fragrances. I'm not very familiar with Rive Gauche, so I can't say much about it, but I do know for sure, that Caleche is a classic chypre fragrance. And I was wrong, No.19 isn't. No.19 is a floral-green fragrance, I confused it with Cristalle.
    Scentdirect classifies Caleche as a floral/aldehydic... and yes, 19 is a floral green. Between the two, however, I think 19 feels closer to the cyphre concept, because of its rather evident oakmoss base.

I remember very well Caleche, and I'm rather confused by its categorizing as a cyphre: what emerges the most in its combo, to my nose, is jasmine and lily of the valley. On the other hand, when I read Sisley's pyramid for Eau de Soir, I cannot but agree with their definition of it as a cyphre. But then again, the beauty of these discussions is that everybody's perception is different!
    [smiley=cheesy.gif]

Caleche is definitely more similar to Cristalle than to No. 19. Cristalle is a fruity-chypre, to my nose, where Caleche is more floral-woody.

I would agree that Caleche feels more like a floral-aldehyde than a chypre, in spite of its classic chypre bergamot/oakmoss accord.

As it drys down on me now as I am wearing it, I am more away of it's floral qualities, but they are still subtle and not "screaming."

I wanted to add that, if you are seriously considering this, that you should probably sample it first. I am a man and I am wearing it, but I am pretty comfortable wearing things that other might find too "feminine." I also love aldehydic fragrances, which some people don't. I would say that if you would be comfortable wearing FM Iris Poudre (another floral aldehyde) you would be comfortable with Caleche.