Code of Conduct

Default FROM LOVE TO HATE IN 7 DAYS

I recently realized that I have a certain pattern when it comes to new fragrances. *First of all, I can't stand 99% of the stuff out there, yet I insist on trying everything I can get my hands on. *Then, on the few occasions when I come upon something I can tolerate, I wind up returning it within a week or so. *

As detailed in another current thread, I bought Bvlgari Black a week ago and raved about it on Basenotes. *Fast forward one week later, the Black has been unceremoniously dumped back to Nordstrom and I'm back to swearing off all designer frags. *

I'd love to know if anyone else out there has a similar pattern when trying out new fragrances. *Which ones have gone from love to hate? *
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: FROM LOVE TO HATE IN 7 DAYS

I have that problem. I thought I loved Higher by Dior, romance by Lauren etc.
    only to loathe them very soon after.

But I have also loved fragrances I hated before, so you might re-discover your own wardrobe later on

I had it with some "niche's". Creed OV, took me a week to get bored with it. MPG 's Centaure and Route du Vetiver repulsed me.
    Sampled some Lorenzo Villoresi's , did not agree with me either.(too spicy). Some Comme des Garcons also did not do it for me.
    I like my Santal Noble but it's starting to bore me also. ( I won't swap it cause I know I'm gonna regret it one day).
    The other way around: I didn't like FM Vetiver Extr., but I changed my mind and ended up buying a bottle, but I think I won't buy another one when I manage too finish the entire bottle.

.......the advantage of decants.

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    exactly...

funny you should bring this issue up, creedfan. I get bored with...well...everything rather quickly but find that my tastes develop and change. I used to loathe Caron pour un Homme and wore it yesterday (thx, Eric) and was just enthralled with it and decided it is the new "me" scent. The opposite is true as well, things I once really enjoyed I go off on rather quickly, but most of the things I truly love seem to stay with me and don't change. I feel like I can't wear a few things anymore because of the associations or "common-ness" of the scent.

I, like you, try everything I can find and blind purchases have been decreasing unless the price is right. I thought I loved Rive Gauche and Dior Higher Energy and then found that I never wore either of them - RG reminded me of Nivea shaving cream and HE fades pretty quickly into nothingness.

Nordstroms is great with returns and exchanges and that is helpful, but I always assume I can offload things by swapping or selling and that justifies my rather indulgent addiction.

marlen

OTOH, who needs decants when Nordstrom accepts returns of bottles that you have been using for a week. I would like to know more about this; how long do you have to make a return, how much juice needs to be left in the bottle, how many bottles can be returned at one time, what reason should I give for the return? I wonder what Nordstrom does with the returned bottles?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I don't know if I have got a pattern besides that of being very tight with my hard earned money - BUT this is the kind of self analytical pondering I always appreciate. Pattern spotting is entertaining! [smiley=cool.gif]

Interesting how you are swearing off designer fragrances. But if you check the responses to your Bvlgari Black post, you'll see that several respondents commented on how similar it is to various niche scents (or they are to it).

So why are niche scents going to be any better for you in this love/ hate business?

Just curious - did you wear it every day of those 7 days?
    Renato

I can't see swearing off designer fragrances anymore logical than proclaiming all niche scents suck. Hard to categorically label all scents simply by their production volume. I think all of us enjoy trying things, but I wouldn't be too quick to put the hook on things that you don't like after only a week. You'd be surprised how often things you'll like after giving things a break for a bit.

I'm in a constant state of flux over which scents I like and which scents I don't. This is the advantage of having a giant wardrobe (three cheers for decants!) to draw upon - you're always rediscovering something you swore off, or banishing something you thought was the tits!

thats why we're perfume addicts ... If we would stick our whole lifes with one scent, we would'nt be here... For me, the hardest thing to do and where I lost most of the time in the morning before going to work, is to open my wardrobe and chosing a scent... [smiley=lolk.gif]
    When I buy a new scent, I get boared with it in a few days and want already an other one...Its also that, a scent who went well with ur skin a few years ago, now smell completely different...
    I'm jalous for the 'normal' guys who just stick by one scent.. [smiley=undecided.gif]
    Have a very nice day u all !

Sounds a bit drastic to swear off designer scents because you found one you didn't like. Besides, if Bulgari Black reminds me of anything it is niche standards like Dzing and Tea for Two.

I've been having more fun with Hermes fragrances recently than I have had with any other house since Frederic Malle.

How interesting. See, I'm more likely to move from disliking / being neutral on something and coming to appreciate and like it than I have been to love something and then come to dislike it. I have found some scents aren't instantly fantastic, but still compelling enough to revisit a few times before making a decision. Versace's The Dreamer was the most enduring example for me, as I'd tried it several times at a local Sephora before coming upon a deal to acquire it via swap. I almost NEVER actually wear it out, but still find myself sniffing it or wearing it about the house because it beckons to me. I find it to be interesting and so very different than anything I've ever smelled that there is no way I'd ever get rid of it, short of it going bad.

As for designer scents, I'd never swear off them. There are thousands of choices, many of which are wonderful and a pure delight to wear. I don't care who makes it, just so long as they make it well.

Well, to answer a few questions...

Nordstrom is known for their great customer service, including their flexible return/exchange policy. Basically, they'll take anything back, including partially used fragrances.

As far as swearing off designer frags, the reason I say that is because I have yet to find one that I truly like (and, believe me, I've tried almost all of the readily available ones). I'm not being snooty, I am just exceptionally picky and the few scents that have made it into my limited wardrobe are all niche.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I don't actually hate this cologne but after I bought it I decided I didn't like it as much as I thought and regret ever getting it. I tested Egoiste and I loved it and heard all kinds of amazing reviews for it but now that I have it, I don't want to wear it. I wore it for the first couple of days after I bought it and there is something about it that bothers me. It was one of those impulse buys because I found it for 13 dollars are Bed Bath and Beyond. I guess I just have to give it another chance to let it grow on me. Sometimes I need a break from using something so that when I use it again it is like a second trial. We'll see how that goes but I'm not sure it's going to go well. [smiley=undecided.gif]

Quote Originally Posted by CreedFan
    I recently realized that I have a certain pattern when it comes to new fragrances. *First of all, I can't stand 99% of the stuff out there, yet I insist on trying everything I can get my hands on. *Then, on the few occasions when I come upon something I can tolerate, I wind up returning it within a week or so. *
    My pattern tends to be over a longer period of time. I end up cycling through fragrances. I'll wear a fragrance for a few days then get tired of it. Fortunately, I have too many fragrances, so I'll move on to the next victim. In a couple months I'll come back to it and think "that's a great fragrance."

Have you been wearing Bulgari Black several days in a row? It might be time to lay off a fragrance if you're wearing it straight through. You'll get bored, methinks. :H
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]