Code of Conduct

Default LV Uomo - A Second Chance

I tried all of the LV's some time ago, and found them to be well-crafted but none were to my liking at all. In fact, I found them to vary from just OK to really nasty.

However, on a whim, I revisited the Uomo last week and was blown away. What an incredibly complex fragrance! Starts off spicy and peppery, dries down to a nice smooth base of sweet wood and vetiver. Although I normally despise vetiver, I find it to be very understated and refined in Uomo. Great sillage and longetivity as well - I can smell it changing on me throughout the day or evening.

I always see people on Basenotes raving about Piper Nigrum and some of the other more popular LV's, but let's hear it for the dark horse - Uomo.

Needless to say, I took the plunge and ordered a full sized bottle from Lacony.com.
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

Default Re: LV Uomo - A Second Chance

I wear LV Uomo almost every day of the week... and I find it relatively easy to wear. It belongs to the so-called 'classic' collection, alongside Acqua di Colonia, Vetiver, and Spezie, to name a few. In general I find the 'classics' more versatile and accessible than the 'fantasy' collection (Dilmun, Piper Nigrum, Yerbamate, Teint de Neige), but even within the 'classic' collection, Uomo stands out as one of the more versatile fragrances. It is complex indeed, but less 'extrovert' than most other LVs in the drydown (except for Acqua di Colonia of course, which is in a different league in that respect).

It's been a long time since I've last sampled LV's; I should go back to Amsterdam and revisit some of them. I hope last year's comments on this scent aren't lost, because it has been described in detail by several members of this board.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

I have a decant of this and I too am a fan...Although I've only worn it twice...Maybe I'll wear it tomorrow?

Although I have and like Uomo, I feel the dark horse in the collection is Acqua Di Colonia. It's rarely discussed here, perhaps because it's of that "Acqua di" ilk, but it's really top of the line, can stand toe to toe with the best of them, and shouldn't be overlooked because of the similarity in name to other, better known fragrances.

Musk seemed to have had its hey-day on the board shortly after Paul G. wrote a very good review of it some time ago. It's overlooked a bit now, as is Sandalo. With all the talk several months ago about the CdG Incense series, I revisited Incensi and compaired it those scents, and it saved me some $$ in the long run as reconfirmed to myself I already have the best incense scent out there (at least in my mind).

By the way, I find it pretty ironic that luckyscent sells CdG Incense candles. I'm sure they're good, and I'm not knocking the price of them by any means, but wouldn't it be more prudent to, like, sell the actual incense to burn instead of a candle? Oh, the irony...
    The Bark Bites Back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark
    Although I have and like Uomo, I feel the dark horse in the collection is Acqua Di Colonia. *It's rarely discussed here, perhaps because it's of that "Acqua di" ilk, but it's really top of the line, can stand toe to toe with the best of them, and shouldn't be overlooked because of the similarity in name to other, better known fragrances.
    AGREED 100% *Aqua di Parma is a fairly good scent, but ends up being intolerably musty. *Villoresi's take on this however takes everything good about AdP and makes it great. *While it's not the mind blower that some of his other scents are , it's still brilliant in it's own right. *It reminds me of the bands that come around and play the same three chords but make it seem fresh (read the Strokes' first disc). *It's a turn from many of his other scents which have all the sutbtly of a lumberjack on speed. *Uomo is in this same vein. *I know that Mike_C is also a huge proponent of this one and I got on board last year with it as well. *It's somewhat formal and not one that's going to produce waves of sillage, but is an intimate fragrance that might not show it's true brilliance with only one or two wearings. *Either way, both of these scents make it quite evident why many of us hold Villoresi in such high regard. *

LV bottle just received at the office. In a word, fantastic. One hot chick just insisted on trying in for herself!
    TOP 10
    1. Eau Noire Cologne by Christian Dior
    2. Lumière Noire pour Homme by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. New Haarlem by Bond No. 9
    4. Chergui by Serge Lutens Les Salons du Palais Royal Shiseido
    5. Francois Charles by Rance 1795
    6. Puro Intense by Nejma
    7. Usiku by Jo Wood Organics
    8. New York by Parfums de Nicolai
    9. Dia For Men by Amouage
    10. Silver Mountain Water by Creed

Check out my huge niche swap list at http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=239240

I like it very much ,... a really great frag for daily use..

I agree - this is my fav LV scent!

As for a second chance - I had the same thing happen to me with LV musk and incensi - at first, I thought nothing great - then I sampled again - love it!

i dont think i have smelt this one, but have smelt sandalo, incensi, have piper, have yerbamate, had dilmun, sampled musk and vetiver. what does it compare to. with these reviews, gosh may have to trade something for a decant

sam

Think Centaure without the soap and mint. It's a shade on the formal side I would think, but not out of the question with sandals and shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.

AGREED 100% *Aqua di Parma is a fairly good scent, but ends up being intolerably musty. *Villoresi's take on this however takes everything good about AdP and makes it great. *While it's not the mind blower that some of his other scents are , it's still brilliant in it's own right. *It reminds me of the bands that come around and play the same three chords but make it seem fresh (read the Strokes' first disc). *It's a turn from many of his other scents which have all the sutbtly of a lumberjack on speed. *Uomo is in this same vein. *I know that Mike_C is also a huge proponent of this one and I got on board last year with it as well. *It's somewhat formal and not one that's going to produce waves of sillage, but is an intimate fragrance that might not show it's true brilliance with only one or two wearings. *Either way, both of these scents make it quite evident why many of us hold Villoresi in such high regard. *
    Paul, I basically agree with you. I found that it is similar to Acqua di Parma, but has much more duration. However, I don't find AdP Colonia musty, though I think a number of people might not care for the rose aspect of AdP Colonia ... AdP Assoluta when I tried it got rid of the rose but made the citric elements last longer somehow.

Back to LV Uomo. Almost no siliage, but lingers close to the skin. I found that this one changed on my skin through the day too, which was a pleasant surprise. Lasted me about half way through the day last summer.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio