Code of Conduct

Default B O S S  Hugo Boss Number One

The original Hugo Boss Fragrance.

I just rediscovered this scent wore it today and what a gem it is.

To me this scent sums up the Boss style in a bottle. Lean, Sharp, Sophisticated, Urban along with a dash of German avant-garde.

No offense but I feel this scent blows Baldassari away. Its just so unique yes it has a heady patchouli feeling but its almost spicy warm with a contrast of oakmoss.

I am sitting hear and just can't get it in words how to describe it >

Just a beautiful scent. After this one I feel the whole Boss line went down hill and off to the teen market.

Default Re: B O S S  Hugo Boss Number One

I tried Hugo the other day and ended up buying a limited edition 1.3oz for a little under 30 bucks. But the lady gave me a sample of Boss, which she said is about 20 years old and usually not quite as well-liked as Hugo. I didn't think much of it, but I tried some on yesterday and JEEZ, I really like this stuff, more than Hugo even I think. And TJ Max has several 4.4oz bottles of it for $25.....I'm tempted.

Default Re: B O S S ╩Hugo Boss Number One

I agree, like this one too. I have to admit that I like some of the Bosses, this is one of them. The others are the discontinued, Boss spirit, Hugo Dark blue , Boss elements and Baldesarini.

Post Thanks / Like

I like N╝.1, although I think It's too sharp and powdery...
    I have to wear it with caution! very manly indeed, not a boy's scent!
    Sometimes I spray N╝.1 on myself mixed with some drops of Ungaro II, just to smell the incense with the sharpness of this classic Hugo.

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=scentimus l

"To me this scent sums up the Boss style in a bottle. Lean, Sharp, Sophisticated, Urban."

Full stop here. Avantguarde - maybe some new stuff, newer bottles anyway!

But on the main issue I agree full heartedly! Although I never used it much, I consider it a true 'No. 1 reference' when checking on other fragrances for long term / long day companions. Sadly we do seem to know who created this success. I doubt it was actually invented in Germany although their clothes seem to still have the German customer in focus. Generally a bit conservative, they seem to fit perfectly when you are tall but not too heavy: select, try on and pay - an affair of half an hour or less - it makes you happy for years!

Selecting and trying on a new fragrance takes me a bit
    longer.

Narcus
    (Switzerland)

'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Correction:...we do NOT seem to know...
    Sorry for that!
    Narcus
    'Il mondo dei profumi Ŕ un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

wow I think I just got bitch slapped from Switzerland
    welcome to the borad Narcus.

Post Thanks / Like

Excuse me scentimus, if I sounded offensive in any way. This was not what I intended to be on my first opinon ever on this board ! I do not know what 'bitch slapped' really means but each of the words indicates something not so nice. How did I get into this awkward siutuation? Help me out of it, please!

What I meant to say was: I am happy when someone refers (back) to traditional quality scents as this one. Never having discussed the subject of odors before I am catching up both on *previous╬ and new scents. In my *wardrobe╬, so modest I cannot even call it that, Boss Number One has set whatever standard at an early point of time. That is why it is still important to me. I never looked at it as avantguarde though. Rather outstanding - yes, but still within the frame of leading french scents around 1990. My comment to *avantguarde╬ could have easily been omitted, as it was not my main point.
    Maybe I had better omitted the observation on how I choose clothes too. Pure self ÷ irony that was. I buy it as if it was an after-shave. But it may be yet another month before I allow myself the luxury of *Bois du Portugal╬ which I presently consider essential in terms of happiness.

Anyone: let me know how to raise the flag and I shall drop *Switzerland╬ from my name.

Narcus

I know this is unfair, but I will NEVER try another Boss after buying #6/Unbottled.

Worse...fragrance....ever.

Ok, Darkness ties it....

These two are about to cure me from buying blind!!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Excuse me scentimus, if ╩I sounded offensive in any way. This was not what I intended to be on my first opinon ever on this board ! ╩ I do not know what 'bitch slapped' really means but each of the words indicates something not so nice. ╩How did I get into this awkward siutuation? Help me out of it, please!
    Hi narcus! Welcome to the board!

I think scentimus might have been having a bit of a laugh. Feel free to join in the conversation...

Again, welcome to basenotes!

Damian

PS: hope you enjoy Bois du Portugal, it is a fantastic scent!!

I always wondered if they called it Number One, since, you know... that's kind of what it smelled like, to me.... a Number One.
    Calling it Boss Pee Pee would've been too obvious, I guess.

(But maybe I just got an old mini of it online that'd gone bad or something...?)

Quote Originally Posted by Coleman
    I always wondered if they called it Number One, since, you know... that's kind of what it smelled like, to me.... a Number One.
    Calling it Boss Pee Pee would've been too obvious, I guess.

(But maybe I just got an old mini of it online that'd gone bad or something...?)
    That's what perplexed me...... I was kind of reminded of urine a bit too, yet I still liked it a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ballardbeau
    I know this is unfair, but I will NEVER try another Boss after buying #6/Unbottled.

Worse...fragrance....ever.

Ok, Darkness ties it....

These two are about to cure me from buying blind!!
    You're just not into ambery fougere scents, perhaps?

I think Boss 6 is great. I also liked Boss 1 a lot too, but didn't buy it because on me it had the least staying power of any of the Boss scents - it barely made it through my three hour wrist test.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

To Coleman╬s and Fat÷Elvis╬ posts on this subject:

Now that you both mention it ÷ the pee remarks hold some truth. Whatever - I do not mind, as long as that smell is mellow, not as sharp, as in a public urinal. I stopped trying other Boss fragrances. First followers seemed to be lacking special ingredients for me ÷ and that was it.

Maybe what can be said about *Boss Number One╬ holds true for *Kouros╬ also, which I considered a │naturalŃ next step. There however things become more complex. If pee, that must be from honey bees! I rather not analyse why I still love Kouros. Designer stuff with a strong character ÷ both of them. Polish the silver trumpets for their twentieth birthday !

Narcus

Switzerland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by damian_
    Hi narcus! Welcome to the board!

I think scentimus might have been having a bit of a laugh. Feel free to join in the conversation...

Again, welcome to basenotes!

Damian

PS: hope you enjoy Bois du Portugal, it is a fantastic scent!!

Thank You, Damian

Your kind words did me good!
    I Am taking things too seriously, sometimes. I looked at prior postings from that guy and enjoyed the inherent humor. So I can easily adopt your view.

I smelled Bois du Portugal last December without knowing what it was. I hunted for it during three months until I found it - and that is how I came across Basenotes and this forum, which bursts from vitality and keeps me breathless trying to catch up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I also liked Boss 1 a lot too, but didn't buy it because on me it had the least staying power of any of the Boss scents - it barely made it through my three hour wrist test.
    That's it!! This Boss has the least staying power of any of the Boss scents... Maybe, in case of Hugo Boss fragrances, The better the scent the worse the staying power?