Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default You Know You're Obsessed When...

...you dream about a fragrance! I just had a dream about discovering a cache of discontinued cologne at a store! The cologne in question was Romeo Gigli "Sud Est."

Anyone else out there find themselves with similar symptoms of scent obsession?
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Default Re: You Know You're Obsessed When...

...you actually help pick out fragrances for your parents.

...you go straight to the fragrance counter whenever you visit a department store.

...you want to disregard your parents and secretly go to the nearest store that sells Creeds, L'Artisans, etc., even though it's 45 miles away, hitching a ride in the process because you don't have a car, but decide not to go at the last second.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

... you feel like "I have nothing to wear" when realize there are no scents recently bought.  ;D

- "Do I really need a new shirt? I've bought a new shirt six months ago but I bought my last scent two weeks ago..."

-" (Insert any fragrance here) is on sale! I don't need it and I don't really like it, but hey, it's on sale!"

-"I'm not addicted, I could stop buying fragrances anytime if I wanted to. But I don't want to right now!"

- All your friends and relatives are getting scents for christmas, birthdays, bar mitzvahs...

- First thing you do in the morning is checking the boards at BN (after putting on your SOTD of course)

....you have a massive collection of small shipping boxes in your basement each with 4 return addresses of basenotes members.

you go back into your condo to change because the color shirt you're wearing that day doesn't seem to match the scent you're wearing.  

.... you just made the title "JUNKIE" on this site.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

when you shake off obnoxious sales assistants like pieces of lint

- when you get depressed because your significant other tells you, "its OK" when they smell your latest and greatest scent.

Quote Originally Posted by OCP
    - when you get depressed because your significant other tells you, "its OK" when they smell you latest and greatest scent.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    I know exactly what you mean.

when you try to sneak past Perfumania and the saleslady waves and smiles at you. Man, I haven't gotten a new shirt for over three years. That's pre-Basenotes days.

:-[

Some other obsessions...bought three pairs of running shoes so far this year.

:

- when you get depressed because your significant other tells you, "its OK" when they smell your latest and greatest scent.
    Actually, obsession is when your response is to break up with her.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ

Actually, obsession is when your response is to break up with her.
    REAL obsession is when you begin keeping new fragrance purchases in your office cabinet so she doesn't see how much money you've been spending on them.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei

REAL obsession is when you begin keeping new fragrance purchases in your office cabinet so she doesn't see how much money you've been spending on them.
    Been there done that! 8)

[quote author=MFfan310

...you go straight to the fragrance counter whenever you visit a department store.

[/quote]

<----- guilty

when you stare for hours at Creed MI and CdG2 bottles (or any other gorgeous fragrance bottles).

Your co-workers are confused because you wear a different fragrance every day.

You call local perfume shops asking for L'ANARCHISTE and get frustrated 'cause the only reply you get is "L' WHAT?" :P
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

...you dream about a fragrance! I just had a dream about discovering a cache of discontinued cologne at a store! The cologne in question was Romeo Gigli "Sud Est."
    Amusing conicidence, was searching on Romeo Gigli here since I wore it (not Sud Est but the eponymous product) to bed last night and I also had a dream early this morning about Rome Gigli. In my dream I was trying to identify the animalic basenote in the fragrance. I see from the Basenotes pyramid that it is civet.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

You want every single sandalwood scent in existence.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

JP said in a post concerning how long a fragrance last without going bad, that optimum temperature would be 10-12 degrees (Celsius obviously...) and that a wine chiller is good for that so I think:

...When you are buying wine chiller(s) for your fragrances

...You are worried that you can take only [insert any number] frags on a trip because of limited space(like "Gah, I can take only ten frags on a weekend trip&quot

...when you stop seeing friends because they "stole" your signature scent.

You have all your packages delivered to work, so you can get rid of the packaging and then sneak them home in your purse/bag/briefcase/coat pocket. Then when your family/SO notices a new scent you can say oh that, I've had it for quite a while already.

You go scent sniffing on your lunch break 'cause who needs lunch. Spending more money on food means less money for fragrances.

You get the shakes when you can't get to the store to buy your latest must have fragrance find.

Quote Originally Posted by jacona
    You have all your packages delivered to work, so you can get rid of the packaging and then sneak them home in your purse/bag/briefcase/coat pocket. Then when your family/SO notices a new scent you can say oh that, I've had it for quite a while already.

You go scent sniffing on your lunch break 'cause who needs lunch. Spending more money on food means less money for fragrances.

You get the shakes when you can't get to the store to buy your latest must have fragrance find.

I'm guilty on all counts. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    ...when you stop seeing friends because they "stole" your signature scent.
    ;D ;D ;D ;D

A friend not only did but double-did this almost twenty years ago and I still haven't forgiven her! :-[

But then again, she had to nerve to try to sell them to me when she realised they didn't suit her... : ;D
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darŁber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka

;D ;D ;D ;D

A friend not only did but double-did this almost twenty years ago and I still haven't forgiven her!  :-[  

But then again, she had to nerve to try to sell them to me when she realised they didn't suit her... : ;D
    It happened to me with Jicky. I wore it for years and refused to tell anyone what it was. Then one day I slipped and three friends ran out to get it. I was devastated, but I got over it.

You buy colognes in twos...a 3.4 (or so) ouncer for display...and a smaller one for actual use.

Coz cologne bottles don't look as good when they're half-way empty :P

You have more colognes you are trying to trade in your collection than most normal people own.

You start referring to people who only own 1 to 4 colognes as 'normal' people.

You don't wear certain colognes to work because you've smelled them on your coworkers.

You can name more colognes than your coworkers (actual coworkers' names).

It takes you longer to decide what cologne to wear when you get up than it does to decide what clothes to wear.

You've taken a shower for the sole purpose of changing colognes.

.............when you buy a flight ticket to foreign country just to be able to get into the duty free area - and then leave the airport again without going anywhere!

.............when all the sales assistants give you a secret sign in every scent-selling shop meaning "I know who you are and I know that I should not say ANYTHING to the women beside you"

............when you check your oven for scents before you bake - just to be sure

when you name your new puppy gendarme and your new car Angel

Double guilty on this one.
    8)
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    LOL
    My side is hurting.....That is a GREAT idea ;D ;D ;D

Quote Originally Posted by jacona
    Double guilty on this one.
    8)

when you buy 24 (or more) 1/8 oz roll-on bottles to put one of every scent you own into them so you have a travel size you can take anywhere with you of whatever you wear that day to reapply.  And make handwritten labels you tape on all of them.  And when you prefer rollons because you can inconspiciously open it and apply it on your wrists in public without anyone noticing, unlike with atomizers!  ;D

When you keep a full size bottle on the shelf even tho it only has thismuch fragrance left "just for the memories".

when, at your superbowl party, a friend finds bottles of musc ravageur and vetiver extraordinaire in your refrigerator and you explain that they're seasoning for indian food (knowing the person hates it and probably won't ask any follow ups). happened last sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    when, at your superbowl party, a friend finds bottles of musc ravageur and vetiver extraordinaire in your refrigerator and you explain that they're seasoning for indian food (knowing the person hates it and probably won't ask any follow ups).  happened last sunday.  
    LOL!! That is just too funny. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

. . . you discover an online community of folks who share your fascination with fragrance, but you don't tell any of your friends about your new discovery because they probably just wouldn't get it.

...you've bought all the scents you like, and you start buying ones you DON'T like cause that's all that's left.

Quote Originally Posted by BradtheImpaler
    ...you've bought all the scents you like, and you start buying ones you DON'T like cause that's all that's left.
    ;D
    that's funny. I thought that might happen to me, but trust me, there's ALWAYS more you like. Just keep looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    when, at your superbowl party, a friend finds bottles of musc ravageur and vetiver extraordinaire in your refrigerator and you explain that they're seasoning for indian food (knowing the person hates it and probably won't ask any follow ups).  happened last sunday.  
    HAHAHHA WHAT??? that is hilarious paul.

...when you have more cologne than you'll EVER wear and you still keep buying more and more...

Larry 8)

...when you've worn a particular fragrance for several days and you're tired of it. You scrub and scrub to get it out of your pores (but can't). You choose another fragrance for the day but quickly tire of it, too and revert back to the fragrance you tried so desperately to wash off :-/ Does this routine sound familiar to anyone...???

Larry 8)

...when you ask, "...what's that cologne you're wearing?" and then go out and buy it :-/

You see, I'm bold. I don't have a problem at all asking a guy the name of the cologne he's wearing. I think nothing of it...if it smells good, I'll ask.

Larry 8)

When you buy minatures and decide you do not like the scent after all and give it to your 7 year old son until he has a better cologne collection than 99% of the adult males in the world. :-/

Of yeah, and he knows what a basenote is....... :P

When you buy minatures and decide you do not like the scent after all and give it to your 7 year old son until he has a better cologne collection than 99% of the adult males in the world.  :-/

Of yeah, and he knows what a basenote is....... :P
    LOL

Also, when your eleven yr. old son NEVER needs to buy cologne cause he just sneaks into your room and has so many to choose from and "borrow".
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

You log on a PINK website several times a day and the kids wonder why dad is watchin a pink,fragrance website every single day. :.
    (luckily enough they are girls,so the colour is not a real problem for them)

We‚ve all hit rock bottom before. Here is when I knew I was obsessed:

I searched under every couch cushion, chair, and even under the washer and dryer for spare change, and when I finally had a good amount of change, I went to the coinstar change-for-cash machine at the store. I barely had enough, but I went to Marshalls right after and got a bottle of Rochas Man. I could not even afford food at the time, but I got my Rochas Man. When I got home I had to hide the Rochas Man in my workout towel so no one would see it. That was rock bottom.

I also once paid for my Escada Sentiment with all quarters. It‚s an intense hobby.

.... you prefer living in an unheated room all year, just to treat your fragrances well.

Just an example that came to my mind. Actually my room IS heated! 8)
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Quote Originally Posted by IPaidForThisName
    We‚ve all hit rock bottom before. Here is when I knew I was obsessed:

I searched under every couch cushion, chair, and even under the washer and dryer for spare change, and when I finally had a good amount of change, I went to the coinstar change-for-cash machine at the store. I barely had enough, but I went to Marshalls right after and got a bottle of Rochas Man. I could not even afford food at the time, but I got my Rochas Man. When I got home I had to hide the Rochas Man in my workout towel so no one would see it. That was rock bottom.

I also once paid for my Escada Sentiment with all quarters. It‚s an intense hobby.
    Oh yes, I know exactly what you mean!

you run out of money... but that doesn't stop you.

Griff
    Griff

.....you find that you have nothing else to talk about than fragrances. You fill those awkward silences with a story about the last time you went cologne shopping.

You and your freind are racing to get the number of posts up!  (EnvYus)
    and have been studying basenotes.com for 5 months and have a ton of stored up opinons on fragrances that we are trying to let out all at once.

SHout out TO EnvYus____ What up Russ!

you find out that the reason your printer is jammed is because a 1ml sample vial rolled back into the printer wheels. (happened today)

I got a few.....

You have read this Post 3 times through and never get tired of it! ;D

You can recite the alphabet by way of the first letter of colognes you own.

Your guilty to every single reply on this Post!!

I'm baaaaaack.

...... you just got two more of your friends to join the basenotes family.

....... you just racked up a bill of 87 dollars worth of samples. I can't wait for them to come. ;D ;D

I had to modify this post because the total was raised to 105 because I added a Tea for Two to the order!!

...You get your new shiment of colognes in and take multiple showers that day so you can wear each new one.

...You buy fragrances and dont tell anyone to see if your other cologne addicted friends recognize you have a new scent.

...Dont get homework done cause ur to busy basenoting.

...you wanted to go to bed an hour ago but are still on basenotes.

...when your first stop at the airport before your international flight back home is the duty-free shop.

...when you think about what perfumes and colognes your local TV news anchors wear.

...you pick up a bottle of YSL Nu at Marshalls for $15. Unsniffed. Without even knowing what to do with it. (It happened to me once, and I don't regret it one bit.)
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by Lurp
    ...You buy fragrances and dont tell anyone to see if your other cologne addicted friends recognize you have a new scent.

.....when you recognize those scents right away.....

...you never run out of ideas for this one thread.

... you open two or three basenotes websites so that you can post, check the directory and fix your wardrobe all at the same time!! ;D

...you immediately look up every fragrance you've never heard of after hearing here.... and realizing it would smell great on you!

....then going a buying it the next day.......(to be continued)

work becomes your hobby and your hobby is now taking up more time than your work. :

scentemental

you have a larger inventory than Sephora ;D

scentemental