Code of Conduct

Default ORIGINS OF THE HOUSE OF CREED

"My great-great-great-grandfather, James Creed, came to London from Leicester in 1710. Various members of the family have unkindly suggested there were base reasons for this migration: he hankered after comlier wenches and stronger liquor, they say, or was a fugitive from the consequences of incorrigible heterosexuality for which he was ill-known -- had put some local miss in the family way and her influential father in a towering rage. I do not myself believe that the move was prompted by anything more deplorable than a desire to make money."

"James Creed was a tailor, gifted and ambitious, and I dare say his fingers itched, like any good tailor's, for the feel of those rich stuffs which only the 'quality' could then afford -- but though I've no doubt he was an artist, I'm sure he had no desire to practice his art for art's sake. This, by the way, is something tailors are often expected to do: the marked reluctance with which humanity pays for having it's nakedness covered is rooted in the remote past -- perhaps in the Garden of Eden where, of course, fig leaves were supplied gratis by the Management. The citizens of Leicester must have been the worst of payers: James Creed was practically penniless when he set out for London."

From the black sheep of the creed family Charles Creed, written by Elspeth Grant in 1961.

let me know if anyone wants to hear more...

AZTEC

Default Re: ORIGINS OF THE HOUSE OF CREED

Keep it coming!

An interesting read indeed!
    MMM

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

As we have written before I am always interested in the history and hard to find fragrances of the different older houses. I thank you for your research.

I will await your next writings.

C
    CG

I agree, more, more, more!

I have had an interest in the early history of Creed since I read about my fashion idol Count Alfred d'Orsay had his clothes made by them.

Barry
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove
    Currently wearing: Apple Brandy by By Kilian

Serpent

Hmm, after smelling the drydown of Silver Mountain Water, I'd have sworn it would've involved someone's selling their soul to the devil...

I am sure this has been covered before but I am still confused as to who makes Creed, given that the Creed website (www.creedfragrances.com) now directs you to a sell off at Ebay and Bond No. 9 fragrances seem to have taken their place.... or is that just in the US?

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Santemon, and anyone who missed my earlier post on the latest official Creed site:

http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/products

gives good explanations to history etc.

Regards
    Matt

Thanks for the information MMM!

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry

I have had an interest in the early history of Creed since I read about my fashion idol Count Alfred d'Orsay had his clothes made by them.

Barry
    hello barry, have you read the book by Nick Foulkes: 'Last of the Dandies: The Scandalous Life and Escapades of Count D'Orsay'? both Charles and Henry Creed are mentioned on p. 254.

I should point out that Charles Creed was the younger brother of James Henry Creed, which would make him the uncle of Olivier Henry Creed, the current owner. Here's what Charles Creed says about Count D'Orsay:

"D'Orsay was not the man to worry over bills (he went bankrupt in 1849), but my grandfather found dressing him very rewarding --- though not in sordid cash. He wore clothes splendidly, he knew everybody who was anybody, and whither he went the beau-monde followed. They followed him to Henry Creed. Through D'Orsay my grandfather was introduced to the French aristocracy, who were lending a gallic glitter to English society at the time, and to the French royal family --- exiles in this country."

So it was Henry Creed, the great-grandfather of the current owner, who really got the creed tailoring business off the ground (thanks to clients like D'Orsay). In 1850, Henry Creed decided on the strength of his french connections in London that it made sense to open an establishment in Paris on the Place de l'Opera.

AZTEC