Code of Conduct
    professor1113

Default manly fragrances

I usually wear the Vintage Tabarome or the Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. I have recently stopped wearing the Vintage Tabarome and am in dire need of a replacement. Can anyone please suggest a manly, woodsy, muscy scent that is not citrus smelling. I am a man and want a manly scent-not a floral sweet scent.

Professor1113

Default Re: manly fragrances

I strongly suggest JHL if you can find it, some Nordstroms carry it and also perfumeemporium.com has it too. I can get you a 20% off coupon for them too. Let me know if you're interested and I'll look it up for you.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

HOMME DE GRES is woodsy/musky. there might be some lemon but i've never thought of it as a citrus scent. it's slightly rough and sharp when you first apply but the drydown is smooth and wonderful.

masculine and feminine categories are problematic for various reasons....but this is a far cry from a sweet floral.

AZTEC

Welcome to Basenotes.

The subject of your thread immediately popped one scent to my mind, Serge Lutens Muscs Koublai Khan. This is a very animalic manly smell and will soften a tad after the first 30 minutes or so, but never gets citrus or sweet smelling. A fine musk. The biggest problem is lack of availability in the US since its part of SL's non-export line (boo!). I've acquired decants on eBay and from a fellow BN member.

Another good one to try that is an excellent musk and of a good value is Kiehl's Musk. There is an oil and EdT version. I've never tried the oil, but dig the EdT a lot. Check this thread for an excellent review by our esteemed moderator Paul G.

http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/for...2733670;start=

Another that I've never personally tried, but has come up in similar discussion before, is Chanel's Anateus. http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120105.html

It's not woodsy/musky but Bel Ami is certainly manly in a spicey/leathery sort of way.

The manliest of manly, man smells that comes to mind is Gucci ph. It has a very dry-woodsy smell, almost like church incense. Good overall....try it out and let me know how you like it.

....welcome by the way, to the basenotes family.

A good manly wood scent would be Creed Bois du Portugal and try YSL M7, its somewhat sweet but a very good woody scent.

Luca

Rochas Lui
    Rochas Macassar
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Van Cleef & Arpels
    Zino Davidoff
    Azzaro Visit
    Cartier Santos

definately azzaro visit and gucci ph. today i was wearing visit and my friend Lurp was wearing Gucci ph and it smelt like burnt fire wood with a burning incense to cover up the fire smell. it was fantastic

But overall both great manly, outdoorsy firepit fragrances that i love.

I usually wear the Vintage Tabarome or the Musc Ravageur by Frederic Malle. I have recently stopped wearing the Vintage Tabarome
    Why did you stop wearing the Vintage Tabarome?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Luca

Since you're wearing Musc Ravageur why don't you try Noir Epices and Vetiver Extraordinaire?

I second Vetiver Extraordinaire. What about Bois du Portugal?

Add Vendetta by Valentino to the list.
    It has the merit of being discontinued and cheap.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Get a sample of Great Jones (Bond) and give it a try

defnitely Bois du Portugal, I think it's a very 'gentlemanly' scent, potent and masculine, very well composed and refined, woody and with a somewhat musky/ambery base.
    Also if you can get it Chene and Un Bois Sepia by Serge Lutens, both sublime wood-based scents.

Gucci PH is the first scent that comes to mind when I think of manly. When your wearing it, it seems as though u just came back from the lumber yard or a day of lumberjacking in the mountains of Montana. It has a smokey firewood scent to it...some say pencil shavings but, I say manlyness.

Antaeus, BdP, Boucheron

I'd echo Creed's Bois du Portugal, and would also throw in Green Irish Tweed.

Another possibility might be Duc de Vervins, which has always struck me as a kind of green, masculine scent...one that might be good with spring around the corner.

Cheers,
    Jim

PS Welcome to the board....and why did you stop wearing Vintage Tab? I have it as well. Frankly don't wear it very often, as it seems a bit more formal than I can pull off on most days.

Bois du Portugal by Creed and Heritage by Guerlain are both very manly fragrances, and very romantic, too!

Nina Ricci's Memorie d'homme is actually a very warm and masculine fragrance. The notes of ginger, liquorice, grapefruit evoke a thoughtful 'memoire' sort of feeling.

I've gone through two bottles of Memorie d'homme and it maybe time for a third.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

The new Cumming is whiskey, pine, cigar smoke, peat and leather.

professor1113

The Creed products all carry a very rare and expensive component called AMbergris-we it does not agree with me and I had to stop wearing it.

It was my favorite scent.

Quote Originally Posted by neroli_9
    Bois du Portugal by Creed and Heritage by Guerlain are both very manly fragrances, and very romantic, too!
    I agree, with Heritage more masculine than BdP in my book. Other scents I would characterize as particularly masculine include: Aramis Tuscany Pour Homme Forte; the musk varieties previously described; Trussardi Uomo; Nino Cerruti Pour Homme; JHL; Jules; Jacomo de Jacomo; Halston Z-14; and Caron Le 3er Pour Homme.

YMMV.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by professor1113
    The Creed products all carry a very rare and expensive component called AMbergris-we it does not agree with me and I had to stop wearing it.

It was my favorite scent.
    Bummer!

((( KOUROS )))

Chanel Antaeus, in my humble opinion. Can't think of anything manlier than this stuff.

Zino
    Cuiron
    Dunhill (2003) [probably too floral for prof.1113 though]
    Antaeus
    Yatagan
    Heritage
    Bel Ami
    Z-14
    Quorum
    Latitude Longitude
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio