Code of Conduct

Default Kouros- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

I am getting really curious about Kouros, for there are really
    vivid and interesting descriptions of it.

AZsmells--it smells like a hobo pissed on your arm

ikkitosennomusha-I am in quantum disgust for this putrid hell juice!

baron--It smells like cheap air freshener badly losing the battle with a very stinky public toilet,

The thing is that none of the stores in my locale has a tester of Kouros. (There must be a reason for this). Obviously, I
    don't wanna buy it blindly for $45 after all these comments.

Can somebody send me a decant? If so, please Pm me.
    Thanx
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Default Re: Kouros- Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Unfortunatelly I can't decant it for you, but I'll post my comments of it.

First of all, it certainly isn't a scent to buy blind (if there ever is one) for it really divides opinions. I do however believe that many dislikers did not give it a fair chance as it really is quite unique and they didn't expect that. This is a scent that many a man has fallen for after several times of testing.

It's definitelly a very masculin and even seductive scent that however isn't leathery as many very masculine scents are. It's very sharp - spicy in a surprising way (Clove??) - and dry with some crisp grassy top notes. Also it can't really be described as casual or formal, day-wear or night-wear. It always seems to be appropriate (except in situations where you should wear a subtle scent). The sillage is exceptional and to really appreciate this scent you shouldn't stick your nose to it but smell the gentle whiffs of Kouros.

I never said it smells like a hobo pissed on your arm. Thats just how some other people described it. Now most people have a negative connotation for this smell before they ever try it. I'm one of the supporters of thsi scent and my wife who isn't even into scents compliments me on it. To me I get such a range of emotions when I wear this from masculine to flowery to earthy, don't get any piss smell. Actually I do detect what people might consider as piss, I don't know what the note is but to me piss doesn't smell like this.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

phantagarow I can do a decant for you, send me a private message.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells
    I never said it smells like a hobo pissed on your arm. Thats just how some other people described it.

Upon re-reading your post, I agree. :'(
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

No, no and no! Kouros smells great! That's why it 's a huge sucess in Europe and South America!
    Very good scent for those who appreciate clove and incense!
    Those who hate Kouros, love the hideous Hermes Bel Ami and the weak Gucci pour homme... I don't understand that! :P

Once you receive a decant, do NOT formulate your opinion until after you've let it drydown for a while. It's one that needs to settle in for the goodness to come out.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Count me as a fan, especially the KSC version

/mmm

Phantagarow, get a sample or decant first. I mean this stuff is killer. Its like a mostly hate frag unless your a top notch fragrance lover with a nose of class.

I see that Perfumeemporium.com has a 1/3 oz mini of Kouros for $14.99 + $3.50 shipping.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Kouros..

Electrifying, passionate and powerful. Kouros is the distincitve choice of the man who seeks to charm and seduce.
    The fragrance is full of spark and fire, dominated by aromatic and warmed notes with floral and wood elements.
    Kouros is a triumph of energy and sensuality.

Hi all,

YSL "KOUROS"...EXCELLENT! One of my TOP TEN!
    I find KOUROS is (sort of) "cut from the same cloth" as
    McQUEEN "KINGDOM" and L'ARTISAN "DZING!".
    I suppose the same can be said for : BANDIT, YOHJI, YATAGAN and L'EAU BLEUE D'ISSEY as well. Of course, my favorite STINK...SMN "ACQUA DI CUBA"...RULES!
    That being said...KOUROS will forever be in my TOP TEN I am sure!

Regards,

SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Count me as a fan, especially the KSC version

/mmm
    Oh, from my post you can read this between the lines as well I love it but used to hate it, partly because of negative expectations that I had. I personally prefer the original one to Cologne Sport version

I love Kouros, but it took me a long time to warm up to it, because its so different from anything else. It can seem old fashioned and dated, but I prefer to think of it as an affected anachronism . Its as far as you can get from Aqua di Gio.

I echo what a previous poster said about its sillage. It smells great when you catch a whiff of it. When you put your nose to the area where you sprayed it, its not the same effect.

Get a decant and keep it around. Sniff it every few days and put it on and wear it around the house. Then one day, you may realize that its one of the best scents ever created. I remember the first time I tried it, I thought it was horrible. Then a year later... same thing. But then when I got a decant from Sephora ( I was even embarrassed to ask for Kouros, I thought I would get laughed at!), I would put some on from time to time, and I had to get a bottle.

All that said, I don't wear it out much. Its a private pleasure that I appreciate on days I stay inside and read, or whatever. Even if you don't like Kouros, its not that expensive and I would still recommend getting a bottle, as a point of reference in your collection. For me, it functions as a barometer of which way my nose is going. I once went as far as saying that Kouros was the "Rosetta Stone" of my collection.

It IS a Jeckyll and Hyde scent. But thats the danger in its beauty.

Good ol' Kouros. It never evokes a response of indifference, does it?

After reading this thread yesterday, I decided to wear Kouros today. It brings back so many fond memories of the early 80‚s. It did get much warmer in The City today, though. For me, Kouros works better in winter weather. But it‚s still a winner!

Kouros....I still find it to be an old man smell. Well made, but still an old man smell. I just can't get around that at the moment.

Body Kouros on the other hand is one of my all time favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Guy
    Kouros....I still find it to be an old man smell. Well made, but still an old man smell. I just can't get around that at the moment.

Body Kouros on the other hand is one of my all time favourites.
    Body Kouros is nasty, cloying, and smells cheap. Tasteless.

Kouros is timeless, exotic, and truely enchanting.

Kouros is king.

I would never stoop to liken Kouros to piss.Piss doesn't smell as bad,carry as far,or take so much scrubbing to wash off.No offence to it's fans,but those comments are meant to be taken literally,not in humour.As stated before,it's a love it or hate it thing,only your nose knows!

Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    Body Kouros is nasty, cloying, and smells cheap. Tasteless.

Kouros is timeless, exotic, and truely enchanting.

Kouros is king.
    Is that so. I cannot argue with well though out comments like this. I better stop wearing Body Kouros then.
    Thanks so much for showing me, my girlfriend, my family and my friends the error of our ways.

If Kouros is king, its time for regicide.

Kouros is the quintessential 80's fragrance.  I, however, was not introduced to it until a couple of years ago, and how I made it through the 80's without encountering it I will never know.  Polo was my personal high school favorite, closely followed by Avon's Black Suede, to which I can't believe I'm admitting.  (My nose and I were young, impressionable and didn't know any better.)

The first time I smelled Kouros I couldn't make up my mind whether I like it or not.  It was so different from the 1990's fragrances to which my nose had become accusomed.  These fragrances, ones that I'm not really sure about when first encountering, usually become my favorites, probably because they are different and unexpected.  Kouros was no exception.

Kouros (1981) is an aggressive, slap-you-in-the-face kind of fragrance.  It certainly falls in the catogory of other "intense"  late 1970's and early 1980's fragrances such as Polo (1978 ), Calvin (1981), Quorum (1982), Halston Z-14 (1976), and I would go as far to say Giorgio of Beverly Hills (1984), which is just as intense, but much more citrusy.  I would recommend it almost exclusively for night-time wear these days--but NOT out to dinner!    

When I'm wanting a "flashback" to the carefree days of youth, I usually wear Polo.  But when my 1980's alter-ego feels like taking over, I wear Kouros.  

....and that's my testimonial to Kouros.  Now that I'm no longer a "rookie" member, I feel I can share that with you all!