Code of Conduct

Default Men who like to wear women's scents

Greetings from Spain to all Basenote members!
    Saludos, amigos! (and excuse me for my English)

This is my first post and I'd like to share with you something I read about Old Blue Eyes' tastes in perfume. According to his manservant, George Jacobs, Sinatra was very fond of wearing cologne in large quantities, except in the special occasions in which he used is favorite scent, which was: Jungle Gardenia!! I have done some research and this seems to be a feminine perfume. Am I wrong, and there is a men's version? Can anybody tell me of other cases of male celebrities who like to like to wear women's perfume?

Thanx a lot.
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Default Re: Men who like to wear women's scents

The lines between men/women scents is blurred and a result of marketing in many cases. Men on this board wear "women's" and vice versa. My wife freaks out if I put on a sample of women's perfume because she doesn't understand this. If you go overseas to the middle east for example its very common for men to wear rose attar. In the US rose is generally considered a women's scent.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

The dutch Annick Goutal website says Micheal Douglas wears Petite Cherie...

Charlie Chaplin wore Mitsouko. When staying at the Ritz in Paris he insited on having the curtains of his suite sprayed with Mitsouko.

Men who like to wear women's scents
    Sounds like the topic for a Jerry Springer show ;D
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

I read the same book and was rather surprised about this Jungle Gardenia anecdote. Especially because it seems Sinatra was a habitual Agua Lavanda user. Some Basenoter suggested to me that possibly JG was what he liked to smell as worn by his women.

Personally, I wear what I like.

Case in point: Like many Basenoters here, I'm a big fan of Yves Saint Laurent's Nu. It was originally desinged for women, but Tom Ford wore it himself.

And Serpent is a big fan of Alexander McQueen's Kingdom, which, although intended as a women's scent, was commisioned by McQueen as a scent that he could wear himself as well.

Speaking of celebrities, Sean Connery wears Guerlain's Jicky, which is normally classified as women's, but is often times classified as unisex (including here on the Basenotes board).
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Musk Oud - By Kilian
    2) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    3) Back to Black - By Kilian
    4) Encre Noire - Lalique
    5)
    M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I wear Prada and so does my cousin as I have posted earlier.

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

Whether a scent is male or female is a personal choice. And skin chemisry has a lot to do with the way a scent will come off as well. I wear a lot of vintage Chanels and Guerlain parfums, all marketed for women, but they work perfectly with my chemistry and don't feel feminine. Any scent you wear should be something you simply enjoy. And mostly whether something is 'male' or 'female' is just marketing anyway. You could take many scents marketed for women and take the same thing and give it a different name and gear it towards men and men would like it, and vice versa. For some reason some people seem to equate wearing 'female' scents with being a transvestite, which to me is quite bizarre! It's just a scent!

Many people in the forums wear perfumes of the opposite sex. As MFfan said, many like YSL's Nu alot, and I'm definitelly one of them. I also wear womens Dior Dune. Other very unisex scent (that hasn't been mentioned yet) is Bvlgari Omnia. Some women actually tend to keep Nu as too masculine a scent for them to wear. So it's all about marketing.

I suppose "mass market" prefers to buy fragrances that aren't unisex because they are afraid that an unisex scent would be too masculine or feminine for them to use and not trust their noses. I suppose in Finland I would get strange looks if I said I was wearing feminine scents, so it's not common here. Actually owning more than one or two fragrances is not common, at least among young people

And ofcourse, welcome to the boards!

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    The dutch Annick Goutal website says Micheal Douglas wears Petite Cherie...
    Cedric,

Can you please post the link? I just like to send that info on to somebody.

thanks,
    tuco

from the article just posted about Jean-Claude Ellena and Hermes:
    ćThis works perfectly for Herm¸s,ä Gautier concluded. She did have one concern: would men be able to wear it? Both she and Ellena wanted Herm¸s to dispense with the archaic division between masculine and feminine scents÷a mere marketing device designed to make heterosexual men comfortable with the idea of wearing fragrance."
    http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten...?050314fa_fact

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tuco
    Can you please post the link? I just like to send that info on to somebody.
    http://www.annickgoutal.nl/en/news/starbook.html
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

I've used both men's and women's - If I find that one scent is a little too femmine and foral - I just layer it with Tabarome - always works out.

Not sure if that's cheating... ;D

I wore the women's version of L'Eau Par Kenzo for a couple months before I realized that it was the women's version. At that point I had a hetero- knee-jerk reaction and gave it to my GF.

If it smells good, wear it! I feel silly for paying so much attention to the male/female divide.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

Quote Originally Posted by bwp
    from the article just posted about Jean-Claude Ellena and Hermes:
    ć...Both she and Ellena wanted Herm¸s to dispense with the archaic division between masculine and feminine scents÷a mere marketing device designed to make heterosexual men comfortable with the idea of wearing fragrance."
    http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten...?050314fa_fact
    As someone said, regarding the marketing of hairgrooming products to males in the Sixties "... It doesn't matter if they write BALLS in capital letters over it, it's still hairspray..."

Cool Re: Men who like to wear women's scents

Holas!
    i use to wear often: Diorissimo, Angel, Halloween, Nilang, CGD Lily, l'eau par Kenzo and Flower Kenzo, quite classified as female frags, and some with a very distinctive flower odeur. I found in my sking delightful and i have loads of positive cumpliments when i use them.
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

Quote Originally Posted by bwp
    Whether a scent is male or female is a personal choice. And skin chemisry has a lot to do with the way a scent will come off as well. I wear a lot of vintage Chanels and Guerlain parfums, all marketed for women, but they work perfectly with my chemistry and don't feel feminine. Any scent you wear should be something you simply enjoy. And mostly whether something is 'male' or 'female' is just marketing anyway. You could take many scents marketed for women and take the same thing and give it a different name and gear it towards men and men would like it, and vice versa. For some reason some people seem to equate wearing 'female' scents with being a transvestite, which to me is quite bizarre! It's just a scent!
    This is an interesting thread! Disclaimer: I AM A GAY MAN MYSELF, so please keep that in mind when you read the comments that follow.

Perhaps you should have asked about "STRAIGHT men who like to wear women's scents." As a gay man who isn't into "gay pride" at all but still pretty much does what he wants to do without apology to anyone, I suppose that I feel a bit more free to wear what I want. The comment about transvestites brought to mind the fact that MOST male "cross-dressers" (that is the PC term) are actually HETEROSEXUAL. Therefore . . . if a man can be straight and still like to wear women's clothes, it strikes me as perfectly logical to believe that he could be straight and still like to wear women's scents. I mean, a guy who wears Aramis while decked out in high heels, fishnet stockings and brassičre would be just as incongruous as one who wore Chanel No. 5 while wearing overalls!

I mentioned Chanel No. 5 for a very specific reason: that is the one women's fragrance that I just have not been able to bring myself to wear, and I don't know exactly why. Perhaps because it's TOO well-known and instantly recognizable, or because it's too strong and "feminine." But Guerlain's Shalimar is pretty well-known, too, and that is actually the only officially "female" fragrance that I wear on a regular basis. There are just too many men's fragrances to try, that I can't even bother much with the women's!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    Speaking of celebrities, Sean Connery wears Guerlain's Jicky, which is normally classified as women's, but is often times classified as unisex (including here on the Basenotes board).
    He does? I thought that Sean Connery wore Guerlain's Habit Rouge. Was I misinformed?
    Last edited by Pepe Le Pew; 18th February 2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Smile Re: Men who like to wear women's scents

Being gay or not doesn´t mean that your lack of taste in perfume.
    Please all reviewers see the other post: favourites scent for gay men
    Read my perfume reviews at: http://perfumenoparatodos.blogspot.com/

Digital art portfolio: www.dreamlandpostcards.com

I wear L.T.Piver's Un Parfum D'Adventure which the Basenotes Directory lists as being feminine.

But the Directory is wrong - no typical woman would wear this one.
    Renato

I do whatever I want.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    I wore the women's version of L'Eau Par Kenzo for a couple months before I realized that it was the women's version. At that point I had a hetero- knee-jerk reaction and gave it to my GF.

If it smells good, wear it! I feel silly for paying so much attention to the male/female divide.
    I have owned both versions of L'eau par Kenzo, and to my nose they are almost identical, aquatic florals. Personally, I prefer the men's version, but I wear a lot of men's scents. It's been said, but it bears repeating. We should all wear what we like and what works with our chemistry.

Although I love overtly masculine frags, my latest obsession with New Haarlem has rekindled my interest in sweeter notes. I plan on experimenting with women's scents, such as Tocade and Loukhoum (Mecheri), in the near future.
    Last edited by Sloan; 19th February 2007 at 04:10 AM.

Balmain Vent Vert, even its recent formulation, is the bomb. And yes, a bit of a flower bomb. I loved wearing that stuff. Until I suddenly needed a present for my cousin. Gave the bottle to her in haste. Blast.
    --Chris

[Edit--whoops! I originally wrote the wrong house for Vent Vert's manufacturer. I also added the "flower bomb" part.]
    Last edited by DustB; 19th February 2007 at 05:06 AM.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Meh...it isn't such a big deal for me anymore. Just the other day, I was testing Hiris and Cavalli's Serpentine...they're so clean and transparent I consider it as a shared scent despite its floral nature.

My latest loves are PdN Vanille-Tonka, Costume National's Scent Intense, and Parfum des Merveilles. All marked as womens scents.

As for No. 5, despite its popularity (whoever they are since I've only smelled it on only one woman last year and no one at all the year before that), it's one of the most subtle scents I've ever tried, after its aldehydic and ylang blast, I find it no more strange to wear than Vaseline Intensive Care lotion. Seems like the EdP is best to wear for a guy. A scent that I saw as similar, but better, is SL Fumerie Turque. No ylang, and has tobacco to subdue its floral nature. Chanel No. 22 isn't so bad either, and heck I'd wear No. 19 too, but I'm not too crazy about fresh green scents.

My general rule...wear anything you feel comfortable in. It's true that you will not sprout boobs or suddenly "walk funny" if you wear a woman's scent. The only thing I think wouldn't smell right on a guy are lush florals, especially fruity florals. Everything else is fair game!

Oh, and let's not forget the MALE scents that are really pushing it...Joop! Homme, Versace Dreamer, Dior Homme and Gaultier2 (okay, that's supposed to be a shared scent, but you get the drift).

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

I like to wear some "women's" scents, those that are good. (to me at least)
    I have a lot that i don't normally wear, like for everyday purpose but i wear only at home, or on special ocasions.
    And then there are those that i keep just for the sake of collecting or for just keeping them.
    I do like men's scents a lot too, so it's not a matter of favoring one over the other.
    There are many "men's and women's" scents that are mislabeled, or that at least they should fall under the unisex category, if there really is one in the true sense of the word.
    I have never really believed in categorizations, and in the fragrance world, it's the current trend (i talk current meaning a couple of hundred years) categorizing frags as male or female, or unisex.
    In any case, i think that categorization is healthy for the human being as it reassures us of our ability to believe that we are the better ones or the smartest ones and it also gives us a feeling that we are making some sense out of it all, and that drives us to obtain more information and be more competitive, among other things.
    As for the original post, I do not know if there is a male version of Jungle Gardenia, and i do not know what male celebrities when it comes to "women's" scents.

Follow the leather, tobacco, and (leathery) chypre trails labelled as 'feminine' between ca. 1919 and 1970, and you'll find a nice selection of rather masculine fragrances. That includes deterring names like 'Miss Dior', 'Femme' and 'Jolie Madame'.

Florals: I cannot say to have a dislike for lavender. But I happen to also like the fresh smell of lily of the valley, iris and roses. According to tradition lavender is 'correct' as a masculine fragrance nowadays. Napoleon was not the only man who also loved colognes based on violets. I wear a certain quality of rose scents when I like to wear them. The days when I thought transgressing a gender barrier doing that are far behind me. I really don't know why the natural fragrance of any flower could have been considered as feminine or masculine to begin with. On the other hand: the smell of tubarose, or a mix of peony and roses in perfume would be fatal to my system. A wardrobe that holds more than thirty bottles offers more of a variety with some 'feminine' fragrances included.

By the way, not all women are interested in perfume. With more than one lady I managed to create some curiosity, to say the least, by letting them sample some of my citrussy, or leathery colognes. Things they never even thought of wearing were Eau Sauvage, Live Jazz, and Chanel pour Monsieur.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I wear L.T.Piver's Un Parfum D'Adventure which the Basenotes Directory lists as being feminine. But the Directory is wrong - no typical woman would wear this one. Renato
    Thanks for the hint, Renato! This does not seem to be a typical case, just a mislabeled fragrance. In fact more than the classification is wrong. The fragrance is correctly called Un Parfum d'Aventure (French). http://www.parfumeursdefrance.com/bo...568c422b22878d
    Last edited by narcus; 19th February 2007 at 03:11 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.