Code of Conduct

Default Which Vetiver would you choose?

All things being equal and money being no object, which vetiver would you choose? Why? I ask only one thing: If you vote please leave some comment as to why. I'm looking to add a vetiver to my wardrobe and am curious as to your choice and what drives that decision.

Default Re: Which Vetiver would you choose?

I'm sorry I cannot vote, as I'm familiar only with Azzaro and Guerlain. I would pick Guerlain over Azzaro anytime btw.

Renoles,
    I voted Guerlain because it is the most versatile. It is one of my very favorite scents, but that isn't the reason I vote for it here--it is simply the best for all around anytime any occasion wear. It would be my signature if I were going to go signature.

Villoresi's is most luxurious, and most rich use. Really spectacular. Better at night time and better for expensive events. This one reeks of class. A stunner.

Annick Goutal's is also a beauty, and would be my second choice to Guerlain's because it is also versatile. It smells warm, comfortable, woody, and lived in. A really steady wonder. It might be a bit heavy for hot humid and hazy summers, where Guerlain is great, but it is great for all other times.

Azzaro's is nice, but not a knock out. Nothing wrong with it at all, but when I tried it it was a bit grandmotherly on me until it dried down (same with Goutal's, but not so anymore). No need to get Azzaro if you can get Guerlain or Goutal in my opinion.

I want to smell a bottle of the Floris. My nose has never had the pleasure. Same with the new Creed. I trust the noses on this board who say it doesn't have enough vetiver in it.

Good luck,
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

MPG Route du Vetiver is heads above the rest IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    MPG Route du Vetiver is heads above the rest IMHO.

Agreed!

Amongst suggested I recommend you
    Vetiver Annick Goutal - it`s warm enough, with sea-salt and pepper. Very bitter and dry - and very `other` than any sparkling vetiver cologne.

The very next are Villoresi and Floris. Villoresi is quite luxurious but very rough (maybe matter of bottle). Floris is much more raffinee and intelligent. And bitter also - I like that bitter smell in any perfume.

Guerlain is rather Cinderella amongst Princes. And it is versatile, very friendly person, very NICE. I`m not going to be like that any time. For me vetiver should be `cologne sombre` - like MPG Route du Vetiver, not MPG Racine. Like Goutal and Etro...

Azzaro is not-so-vetiver... And Lanvin also...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Serpent

I picked Goutal's VŽtiver - it's great stuff, rich and pungent - but the one I'd really take is Ma”tre's Route du VŽtiver. That's my favorite. (I don't know Floris' Vetiver, but I'd like to.)

As for the Guerlain, when it can be had for $9.99 at TJ Maxx and the question reads "and money is no object," choosing that seems against the point. Besides, I think Guerlain Vetiver would be more appropriately named "Guerlain Lemon," because I get ten times more citrus than vetiver in that stuff.

I picked Goutal's too: Something really sexy about that scent of saltwater drying on the skin, dry grass and a vaguely animal note. I get a curious but pleasant aroma of wine in this fragrance too.

Guerlain's Vetiver is one of my all-time favourites. But the new version has little of the original's sobriety and too much of its sparkle. It is by no means an abomination, despite what I may have claimed in the past, but it but it is no longer the best vetiver.

New Creed is lovely but not really the kind of vetiver I like. I have only tried Floris' vetiver once, and I really liked it - a stony, cedary note, quite sombre and serious. Perhaps it would make a good substitute for Guerlain. Same goes for Creed's old Vetiver, if you can find it - a very green and mineral vetiver.

Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver is a beauty: incredibly layered and complex, blending dry herbs with the scent of polished musical instruments (I can't take credit for this - I think Eric identified this note.) However, it has a rosewood note and a celery seed note which I cannot warm too, no matter how much I would like to.

If you want to broaden your search, you might want to look at Etro's Vetiver, which is dark, powerful and pungent (lots of tobacco, lots of cedar: Pushed out of the running for me because of that accursed celery note).

Route du Vetiver is amazing, Vetiver red in tooth and claw. Racine, also by MPG, is more well-behaved and presentable but still earthy and outdoorsy. Artisan Parfumeur does a lovely little vetiver but I have discovered recently that a sour grapefruit note tends to dominate the composition, at least on my skin. Nevertheless it is worth sampling as it has many fans.

Finally - and sorry for the extended post, but vetivers are among my favourites - no review of contemporary vetiver scents would be complete without a look at Frederic Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. It's smoky, green and very outdoorsy, with a pungent-pepper and mineral opening which quickly clears to a brisk, airy scent. As it dries down, surprisingly smooth vetiver notes emerge: the natural harshness of this element is held in check by an array of spices and green notes. It finishes with a surprise - an ambre-musk note that reminds me of woodsmoke.

It's my favourite - it's very modern, quite open about certain synthetic qualities - but based in the rugged and natural vetiver tradition.

I voted for classic of classics: the Guerlain.
    But if you prefer something that smells more earthy, like the original Guerlain formula used to be, try Vetiver by Etro. It has tabacco notes and less citrus notes.

You can all have the vetivers of the world... I will keep Vetiver Extraordinaire by F.Malle for myself.

None of the above for me. I'm becoming a huge fan of MPG's Route du VŽtiver and Miller Harris' Terre de Bois. No other vetiver that I've tried even comes close to them. But of those you listed, LV's Vetiver is the best of the group.

~Clinton

like any of these questions, its all down to personal taste. Iām not familiar with all on your list, but of those I have tried, the guerlain is my favourite. I know money is supposed to be no object for this post, but guerlainās value for money shouldnāt discount it on those grounds. When I posted a similar question a while back, I received some great responses (have a search for it ö thereās some good info there) and one poster said try the guerlain first, if you donāt like this, itās likely you wonāt like or go on to any others. (actually it was mike who said it ö hope you donāt mind me quoting you Mike). I think this is great advice ö guerlain is the most wearable, the most approachable, and I echo Dust Bās sentiments that if I had to go signature this would be it.

This is the first one to buy because itās the most paired down, the least embellished. Now, you may think this is a reason to avoid, but I will explain why I think this is its best feature.. My experience has been that there are more varied, multifaceted vetivers out there, but like an item of clothing that is just a bit too fussy and great for some occasions but not all, these vetivers are sometimes just too much for the senses. Perhaps this is just me, but sometimes you want a scent to shout, to proclaim its presence ö Iām sure MPGās would fit the bill here; sometimes you want a scent to feel luxurious, like putting on your best suit ö Iām sure the villoresi would be your man here; but for the most part, I want my scent to feel like putting on my favourite pair of worn jeans or jacket ö its something that feels very comfortable, wearable, its clearly there, but its not so experimental that youāre constantly aware of it ö this is the guerlain. It feels like on an old friend! And I know everyone says things like this.. but women seem to love it. somehow it captures their sense of what a man should smell like ö not berries or vanilla, but fresh and woodsy!

Iād skip the new creed ö thought this was wholly unimpressive, same for azzaro. MPG Iāve never tried but would like to (but to be honest Iāve been put off by some extreme comments, floris was good (only tried briefly so canāt really comment), etro was too heavy and pungent for my taste, F Malleās was very interesting, but for me exemplifies the point I was trying to make above ö its got too much going on ö its too smokey, dark and spicey for me. lāoccitane is worth a try as well. With guerlain you get citrus sparkle (but I donāt think its too much lemon at all ö its fleeting), going into a light dry tobacco and then soft vetiver ö its fresh, clean and masculine. Now, this may be too simple for what youāre looking for. For me, itās the only scent I can wear every day. Anything else is too much.

One more point ö when I fancy a change from the guerlain (and the one I wore for about 4 months straight before I started wearing the guerlain every day) I go for my lāartisan. To my mind this is the joint winner with guerlain (I just canāt pick my clear favourite) It manages to be fresh, yet luxuriantly rich and smooth at the same time. I donāt get a sour grapefruit note. I think this is a must try which does not receive the attention it deserves.

so· my advice: get the guerlain first. youāll probably like it but wonder what the fuss is about. then sample lāartisan, goutal, villoresi, Malle and MPG, which will leave you feeling that guerlain misses the mark· then after a while.. you may just find you go back to it ö thereās just something so simple and spot on about it·

really sorry for my extended ramblings.. if I can say one more thing ö go to www.makeupalley.com and search for each of the ones mentioned above ö youāll get some interesting further insights. a simple search on their boards will show you that guerlain comes up once a day as the womenās top choice!

tom

You only need to spend $35 to buy the L'occitane Vetiver! Smooth, creamy and wonderfully aromatic with a hint of sandalwood. This and Guerlain, of course, are my only two Vetivers currently in my wardrobe after trying every scent listed in your poll.

marlen
    japan/usa

Ha ha, I'm with Cedric - ignore everything I said about Vetiver Extraordinaire. It mings. I want to keep it for myself

Tom makes a good point about Guerlain's Vetiver. It does seem to appeal to women. Particularly women who prefer their men a bit lived-in and who are desperate to find a man who isn't going to spend more time in front of the bathroom mirror than her.

It would make a good signature scent.

Vetiver Extraordinaire's mine. I was travelling light fragrance-wise for a while and when VE was released, I bought it right away and wore it and nothing else for a year. I still wear it at least once a week - more in autumn and winter, when it really leaps from the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    You only need to spend $35 to buy the L'occitane Vetiver! Smooth, creamy and wonderfully aromatic with a hint of sandalwood. This and Guerlain, of course, are my only two Vetivers currently in my wardrobe after trying every scent listed in your poll.

marlen
    japan/usa
    Ditto. I only have Guerlain and L'Occitane and the L'Occitane is just amazing. Probably a bit more spicy than you would expect from a Vetiver though.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I haven't smelled all of them, so I voted for Guerlain's Vetiver. ŹI don't wear it often, and sometimes when I do wear it, it can be the most fickle scent I own- Sometimes its perfect, warm, green, and earthy- other times its bitter, rank, and cold. ŹVery moody, this one! ŹStill its a classic. ŹI like to break it out when I go to weddings because it shames all the Aqua di Gio wearers, with its timeless character. ŹAnd all the times I've worn it to formal events, it has BEHAVED ITSELF!!! Ź

Secondly, I would recommend Azzaro Pure Vetiver. ŹIts probably the most unlike any of the other vetivers, because its so mild and actually "likeable". ŹIts not a POWER VETIVER, its more like a roll in the grass on a warm breezy sunny spring day. It has marine notes and honey, pepper, tea and citrus. ŹThe vetiver comes out a little later in the wearing. ŹIts not your father's Vetiver, but if you run across it for cheap, give it a try. ŹYou may not be impressed immediately, but you may grow to like it more and more, and keep it on the back shelf to be pulled out anytime you want a nice surprise. ŹWhen I can't decide what to wear, out of my usual choices, I often reach for Pure Vetiver, because it always picks me up.

Also the Annick Goutal Vetiver is very strange. ŹI have a sample of it, and I find it to be very interesting, but I haven't worn it out in public yet. ŹAt first whiff, it reminded me of the smell of a band-aid, then it transformed into a "oceanic smell", with saltwater, smoke, sod, and yes, vetiver. ŹThese also happen to be the attributes of a good Islay single malt Scotch, so when I smell Goutal's Vetiver, I think booze! ŹI'm gonna have to give it a good test run sometime soon. ŹDevote a day to it and let it unwind, and see what shakes out of it.

blue_stratos

I voted for Floris Vetiver - best formal fragrance IMHO.
    Villoresi for evening wear, Goutal for a romantic occasion.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Guerlain's Vetiver...I like to break it out when I go to weddings...
    Guerlain Vetiver is the only one I have, and after wearing it last Saturday, I've decided to save it for funerals. ŹDon't get to many weddings at my age but funerals are becomming a frequent thing. ŹBesides, it just fits. ŹI wore Hanae Mori to the last one and haven't used it since, so hopefully switching to GV for the next solemn event will resurrect HM for me. :-/

j

If you're a fan of MPG's Route du Vetiver, Gabriele Kraetschmer have it on sale at half price at the moment. Here's the link:

http://www.gabriele-kraetschmer.de/indexf.html

Follow up:

Thank you all for your input. Your compilation of knowledge introduced me to all of these vetivers and a few others. In time I'm sure to track them all down (including the MPG...it sounds unique). The Guerlain won out in the voting and was one of the fragrances I had been very interested in trying and obtaining, and will be soon. It's apparent I have my work cut out for me in sampling and testing these.

Marlen/Scenteur - shame on you and thank you all at the same time...introducing me to L'Occitane's wonderful vetyver...I'm fortunate to have a store here and just obtained it. I'm still sniffing the test spray and loving it.

Besides, I think Guerlain Vetiver would be more appropriately named "Guerlain Lemon," because I get ten times more citrus than vetiver in that stuff.
    Yeah, this is the new Guerlain Vetiver. Floris Elite reminds me a lot of the classic Guerlain Vetiver.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.