Code of Conduct

Thread: CdG 2 Man

Default CdG 2 Man

I was sampling Comme des Gar¨ons' 2 Man (edt) tonight. Right from the start it smelled familiar to me: it has a sharp cumin note in the opening, which dries out rather quickly to make place for a soft mix of incense and vetiver. It has a comforting woody and leather quality to it, and there seems to be a sweetened, hesperidic note constantly lingering in the background, the kind you can also find in the drydown of some Herm¸s fragrances.

I quickly went through my sample collection, because I was sure I would single out it's twin brother somewhere. However, I found out that although I've smelled a similar fragrance before, it's not in my collection.

I believe it was Timothy who compared 2 Man to Gucci pour Homme, but I would have to sample that one again to confirm. Are there any other fragrances similar to 2 Man?

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: CdG 2 Man

Although I disagree with many of his "matches", Michael Edwards says that the following are similar:
    1. Baladin by PDN
    2. Declaration Essence by Cartier
    3. Eau d'Hermes

I find CdG 2 Man similar to Gucci pour Homme too, but it's softer and less agressive.

Yes, I also think CdG2MAN is similar to Gucci PH, - the strong incense and + "vinyl" and vetiver.

I think CdG2 MAN is lighter, but still a strong scent, and more playful.
    http://blogsorbeta.blox.pl: CdG Series 8 Energy
    (Oct. 3rd).

I haven't tried Baladin, but I can see how Dˇclaration and Eau d'Herm¸s are associated with 2 Man. Eau d'Herm¸s has a similar sharp cumin note in the opening, and that (slightly sweet) citrussy, leathery quality that lingers in the background of 2 Man. The difference being that in Eau d'Herm¸s it's very much upfront, predominant.

Similarly, some predominant accords in Dˇclaration (not just the Essence version, IMO) can be traced in 2 Man's drydown, where they play a secondary, subdued role. The citrus/vetiver combination in 2 Man indeed reminds me of my old bottle of Cartier.

I'll check out Gucci Pour Homme again (and hopefully, one day, Baladin). Thanks for the great help!

Marcello

Giorgio Red for Men ( Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    Something in my mind says it resembles that fragrance. I don't have Giorgio Red for men anymore and haven't worn or smelled it in years,so I could be very wrong.

Yes, CdG2 Man is very similar to Gucci pH, the same wood, incense and spice mix. Still, CdG is a little lighter IMO, although I notice a cold, almost metallic note in it.
    I own Eau d'Herm¸s and to me, the two are completely different. The Herm¸s is lighter, more leathery and less woody, although it has a nice sandalwood note. I can understand though why Michael Edwards saw a similarity, CdG and Herm¸s are sharing a lot notes, but the composition is completely different.
    However, I think these scents smell a bit like CdG2 Man:

- M7 (yes, it's much more sweeter)
    - CdG2 (less woody, more other notes (magnolia, aldehydes)
    - I second Declaration